Anon
Years ago

Has DJ Kennedy lived up to the hype so far?

"So Far" being the key reference for discussion.

I know he has only played a few games to date, but as a Melbourne United fan, I was discouraged mainly by his performance against 76ers. His shot selection (also did not attempt any threes), and mostly his attitude on the court when things weren't going right (cussing at the ref to call fouls, and whining when calls didn't go his way) were the main reasons. What happens if this continues throughout the season? IF it does, how long can we expect United to keep him around for until they find a better import?

IF he is to be cut (which I doubt), How do you all reckon this Melbourne United line-up would go? Does it have potential to reach the GF again?

PG - Ware
SG - Goulding
SF - Mccaron
PF - Barlow
C - Boone

Topic #43996 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

No at all, has looked lazy and soft. Hopefully he can turn that around!

Reply #707204 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Takes most imports a while to get going but in the blitz he did get fouled out of games a lot with a few offensives.
He will play the same role as Prather in terms of offense, drive to the rim kick out to Ware, Goulding, Mccarron or Barlow its just if he buys in.

From the sound of a couple of Vickermans interviews after the signing Kennedy wasnt on their radar until he became available late in the off season so he could be a bit of a risk.

Reply #707205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is under done and so is Boone

United might get off to a slow start whilst they work themselves into shape

Reply #707206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman saying they are in better shape at this point of season than last, but between jet lag and injury to Boone and Kennedy it could be a slow start to season. Still not sold on Barlow in the 4 spot. I think they will start with Ware,Goulding, McCarron,Kennedy, Boone. Moller and Barlow the 3-4 back ups, Hooley the guard back ups, Pledger, Trist the 5 back up and smith- Milner 4-5 as well. Love to see Moller with good time in the 4, has length, speed, and defensively is excellent.

Reply #707208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say most imports take a bit of time to get used to the NBL. He hasn't been at his best but maybe that injury in the US was a lingering one. I don't think he needs to play himself into shape considering his performance in TBT. He's got a big body of work and I'm not gonna pull the panic button yet

Reply #707213 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

DJ is looking ordinary...
Barlow is THE MAN!

I LOVE Boone's game but he was looking out of touch too in the preseason, missing heaps of sitters around the ring.

I think McCarron & Moller & the youthful Barlow are gonna be the key, as the big gun imports have all looked a little down on form so far this preseason.

They need to be careful as with an even better NBL competition this year a slow start 'could' lead to UTD missing the playoffs all together!

Reply #707218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way to early to tell. First few weeks could be a bit misleading, jet lag and some lingering injuries for starters on fancied teams. Pretty sure i saw an article saying Perth arrived in Sydney without all their bags including physio and team gear etc, far from ideal.

Reply #707225 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What's Kennedy's injury?

I'm not worried by an injury to Kennedy for a week or two as far as United winning early games- Moller could really step up if given the opportunity. And knows the role.

The issue is more that if Kennedy's out of shape and hasn't properly learnt the system, this delays the process further.

Essentially Moller, Barlow and Trist will need to step up.

Reply #707245 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Completely ignoring the question but being a massive fan of Mitch McCarron and being scared of him becoming a shadow of his former self like Todd Blanchfield, I really look at Dj Kennedy like some kind of villain that wants to steal playing time and hence production off Mitch.

I don't think he will be fired but if a slow start to the season helps others to stand up and perform then it's not all bad!

Reply #707256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch wants to learn the point guard skills, as long as he gets his time on court he'll should be happy. Vickerman quoted that because nearly two games every weekend he’ll have different starting fives. Mitch will probably play a lot of all guard positions. Ware is a year older and hasn’t looked his normal self in preseason games, he’ll come good but probably play less minutes this year.

Reply #707281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has your mum lived up to the hype so far?

Nope, she is a bit sluggish

GTFOH with these stupid threads! Season hasn't even started yet.

Reply #707293 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Kennedy will dominate when he needs to.

Big time player in big time situations

Reply #707364 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Hhhmmm, I dont think you can just rock up to the NBL anymore and play into form.

A lot of imports who have "enjoyed" their offseason get found out pretty quickly.

Im worried...

Reply #707412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kennedy will be first import axed. Serious downgrade on Prather.

Reply #707455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he a real DJ?

Reply #707459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather played less than 10 games including finals, Kennedy will be fine.

Reply #707468 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:00 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754