John Fairs
Years ago

Daily Telegraph's sub-par Sydney Kings preview

As a Illawarra Hawks fan I really don't care much for the Sydney Kings but as I opened my Daily Telegraph this morning and saw on the back of the paper there was a Sydney Kings Liftout I thought wow maybe they are being treated a bit more seriously. Nope, it was the most rubbish season preview I have ever seen. No list of players, no season schedule, nothing but an article by Andrew Bogut. I was actually furious.

What a pathetic attempt at promoting the season. I thought this was meant to be the breakthrough season. My goodness, the league if Sydney is any barometer has a long long way to go to get back to where it was in the 1990's where a preview would be at least double that.

Topic #43998 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Did they even have one last year at all?

Reply #707241 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's a newspaper preview. People barely even read newspapers anymore. Calm down lol.

Reply #707250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. The OP had me when he said he opened a newspaper.

Reply #707259 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The Advertiser had one too, wasn't so much a Liftout as the standard two pages

Reply #707266 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It seems like the NBL have done a good job with News Corp, significant previews in their papers around the country by the look of it.

Reply #707274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The OP is right though. That was not a season preview by any standard. And this whole 'people don't read newspapers' comment is ridiculous. The Sydney DT circulation during the weekdays is more than 800,000. That's a lot of potential new fans out there.

Reply #707275 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Exactly right. Believe it or not, statistics have proved that newspaper sales have always been very strong and continue to grow.

So anyone that says that no one reads newspapers anymore, doesn't know what they are talking about

Reply #707278 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1969/43399396170_9f503457ed_o.jpg

They gave the Kings 5 pages, in the 1st 3rd and 2nd 3rd of the paper. I'll take that advertising and the quick, interesting read with it anyday.

The Daily Telegraph is also a strong sponsor for the Kings and gives them good space in the paper. The fact they give season ticket holders a full year access to all News Limited publications throughout the country is a huge carrot, close to $200 worth.

Reply #707285 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

True, regarding newspapers. They are still a very important media stream for exposure and theres a big audience there (probably from the older markets that only follow football and cricket), so its still very important the NBL have a presence in print media.

However, the growth of the league's popularity and its main source of media coverage is digital now. Most of its traction is online. If the league relied soley on newspapers and a couple of football loving tv stations like they had to in the past, you would still have a hard time knowing about the NBL. Which is how it used to be.

Reply #707286 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

They did have one last year and it was better. My point is that the key to basketball getting back to anywhere near the 1990's level is win back mainstream news. Newspaper support along with scores on radio and television news is critical.

Reply #707287 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

The size and growth of the Kings' crowds last season befuddled me. They were dreadful for a good chunk of the competition, yet were getting a solid 7-8,000 toward the end. I assume people just have the awareness of them and parents figure it a better day out than a just as expensive movie. I'm no fan of the Sunday games, but they work with crowds. The Saturday this season may prove to be a large step back for the league.

Reply #707292 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

What's a newspaper? What's tall poppy syndrome?

Reply #707296 | Report this post

TW  
Years ago

they didnt 'give' the kings anything. The nbl/sydney kings pay for that exposure just as the a-league has done previously

Reply #707302 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Adelaide Advertiser pretty good . I'll keep it with mine .

Reply #707372 | Report this post

Archie Karas  
Years ago

Spot the old people.

Reply #707377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754