Luuuc
Years ago

Commentary Team for NBL19 Revealed

Adelaide Crows player and former US College basketballer Hugh Greenwood will join a star-studded commentary line-up for the 2018/19 Hungry Jack's NBL Season.

Greenwood will join former NBA players Shane Heal and Chris Anstey and a host of former NBL stars Corey Williams, Shawn Redhage, Oscar Forman, Steve Carfino, Cam Tragardh, Mark Worthington, Simon Kerle and Brad Rosen in the commentary box.

Matt Russell, John Casey, Dwyane Russell, Anthony Hudson, Paige Cooper, Seb Costello, Nathan Strempel, Liam Santamaria, Lachy Reid, Sam Squires, Warren Tredrea, Alison Ariotti and Rob Canning will also be part of the commentary team.

All games will be broadcast on FOX SPORTS with two games a week broadcast live on 9GO. All games will also be live on NBL TV and available on catch-up on 9NOW at the conclusion of each round.

SKY NZ will also broadcast every game live across the season with commentary of New Zealand Breakers games spearheaded by Andrew Mulligan and Casey Frank.

Commentary Team for NBL19 Revealed

Topic #43999 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

I see they're still going out of their way to avoid saying all games are live on Fox.

Reply #707305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Matt McQuade?

Reply #707306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They persist with Heal, and now on top of that have added Anstey. Argh.

Reply #707308 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Is anyone asking for Matt and Dwayne Russell to return? Both horrible basketball commentators.

Reply #707311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I picture them finding Simon Kerle wandering around in the desert with long hair and a big shaggy beard... where the hell did they pull that one from!?

Reply #707313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kerle has commentated back in the day, highly opinionated and doesn't hold back. Won't be tame like all of these other commentators. I like it. Anstey on the other hand - WTF!

Reply #707314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Odd how the commentary team are a cast of thousands. Coverage will be disjointed.

Reply #707315 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I totally see where Kobe is coming from, but my TV guide says both Foxtel and FTA have this Saturday's game live

Reply #707316 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Also, wasn't Anstey involved in some rival Australian Basketball League?? CLB ?? odd inclusion ?

Reply #707317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need Matt McQuade,he was excellent through preseason with Liam Santamaria. How some of these others still keep getting a go is unbelievable.

Reply #707319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Round 2 Saturday and Sunday 2:30 games aren't in the Foxtel Guide despite all the other games being in there (albeit on 3 different channels), and the 3 general Fox Sports channels and Fox Sports More are filled with live sport both times, still a week out from that so they might need to schedule it on Fox Sports News like they have in the past.

Reply #707321 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Warren Tredrea? They make it sound like he will be a play by play caller?

I think we can all acknowledge that regardless of how competent he was behind a mic that Derek Rucker won't be shown on NBL coverages again which is a shame but understandable.

It looks like none of the girls led by Abby Gelmi (channel 7 cricket) have been resigned, what are people's thoughts on that?
Going back a few seasons ago channel 10 had Melissa Marsh as part of their Perth games coverage (being former captain of the Waves/Lynx and brother of cricketers) and she was very good, any chance of getting her back?

Reply #707323 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I wonder if the Go/Fox telecasts will be the same product?

Reply #707324 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Abbey is a queen but the channel 7 paybags are just too big it seems

Reply #707325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we have lost Neroli Meadows to cricket as well unfortunately.

Reply #707326 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure Tredrea does the Channel 9 SA sport on the news or at least used to I assume Greenwood is probably contracted to 9 as well.

Simon Kerle the value bet here.

Reply #707327 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

So my Bill Lawry prediction hasnt come true....yet.

Reply #707328 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This will be hit and miss with so many commentators.

Looking fwd to hearing Kerle.

Reply #707329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why any one from the afl even gets a look in is bewildering, greenwood leaves for obviously more money, good luck to him but to then get invited back to be paid commentator is a joke. True basketball people should have got the gig.

Reply #707330 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Somebody will need to wake me up when Brad Rosen is commentating. Zzzzz....

Reply #707332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ate you kidding me. Brad Rosen is in the top 2-3 commentators. Understands the game and I love the way he explains it.

Reply #707333 | Report this post

Anonomouse  
Years ago

Why don't Fox give Josh Garleppp a gig? He's already on their staff and knows basketball. The football guys are average at best. Is Dwayne engaged to CG43 yet? Unconditional love.

Reply #707336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as they don't bring that thief Rucker back then I’m ok with all these guys. No James Harvey though?

Reply #707339 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ate you kidding me. Brad Rosen is in the top 2-3 commentators. Understands the game and I love the way he explains it.

Each to their own I guess. I'm with Splinky. Not that it's a big deal to me.

Reply #707340 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Brad Rosen is unbelievable.

Reply #707341 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Brad Rosen has settled down and lets the game breathe a little more now.

Don't know why people hate on Heal, he is as qualified as anyone to talk national and international hoops plus you can tell has a deep passion for Aussie basketball.

Tall poppy syndrome...

Reply #707342 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm guessing that a lot of the hate for Heal, as with Rucker, is unrelated to his basketball credentials.

Reply #707343 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I agree with above, Matt McQuade should get a gig here, he's prob the best play by play guy I've heard, doesn't talk shit but says enough to be informative and knows how to go to different levels when its crunch time.

Does everyone else agree Matt should feature?

Reply #707344 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree.

(and FWIW, so does Matty Knight. Twitter Link )

Reply #707345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes bring on Matt McQuade, as Melbourne boy said off the lot.

Heal rabbits on to much about his mates, if he would stick to basketball ok, but if he blows Cadee trumpet once it's a dozen times. It becomes irritating.

Reply #707349 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I totally see where Kobe is coming from, but my TV guide says both Foxtel and FTA have this Saturday's game live
Pretty sure this Saturday's game isn't the only game of the season.

Reply #707352 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Heal is awful. Maybe he's a love/hate guy like he was as a player? Though I did actually like him for the most part as a player, I think he's pretty terrible behind a mic.

Reply #707354 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

What has happened with the fraud stuff linked to Brett Brown?

As far as I know he hasn't been charged with anything.

As with the AFL the hot heated players become good commentators as they call a spade a spade.

We don't have many like him. As others have mentioned I think Simon Kerle may be good to listen too as he doesn't sit on the fence.

Reply #707361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Rucker isn't considered due to legal reasons then why is Heal?

Other than that he's an awful commentator regardless.

So these AFL ppl are due to Nine? Sigh..

Reply #707365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we have lost Neroli Meadows to cricket as well fortunately.

Reply #707366 | Report this post

Greenie  
Years ago

Heal was "cleared" of the fraud charges because there was no witness available in court - Brett Brown was busy with a little thing called the NBA playoffs

Reply #707368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't the NBL fact check their releases? Rosen was neve an NBL 'star’ lol.

Reply #707370 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Dump Corey Williams and I'll forgive the other less-popular appointments. Please... Please?!

Reply #707375 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Tredrea on tv every nite and radio triple m due to the contract .....
..... greenwood popular here .... all a bit extra for basketball out of it....

Reply #707376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My two favourites by a country mile are back. Redhage and Rosen are the best 2 by far. No bull crap, not looking for the BIG call to make there ego better. They just call it and say it From a basketball perspective. Love it

Reply #707392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Williams is a bum

Reply #707395 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Putting words in my mouth much, Kobe?

Reply #707398 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, I'm just not seeing how that one game being live on Fox alters the situation in any way.

Reply #707400 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Call me biased, but I'd rather have James Harvey in that list. Looking forward to Simon Kerle though remember hearing him on some pod and he was funny.

Have the WNBL commentary been revealed?

Reply #707401 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

WTF .....No Abby Gelmi?

Reply #707402 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Have the WNBL commentary been revealed?

Don't remember where but I saw the names John Casey and Jenni Screen mentioned somewhere recently.

Reply #707404 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Whatever Kobe, can't be bothered mate.

I want to see Tragardh calling WNBL again

Reply #707409 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Yeah disappointing no James Harvey, he added some swagger

Reply #707411 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Greenwood is great to have for his basketball knowledge and I guess he will speak very well.

But something just sits uncomfortably with having him commentate - not because of his lack of skill or knowledge - but just the way he u-turned on basketball and in particularly the NBL.

I can't put my finger on it - just my opinion but there seems to be this thing to try and use the AFL to bring in people (I could be wrong I don't know the market/how it all works over there). Just seems weird.

Reply #707426 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

For mine Rosen didn't add a heap with his message, even though his presentation definitely improved. I prefer the guys more recently out of the game, their insight is more up to date having been a part of the way the game has evolved recently.

Reply #707428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey not continuing is odd, yet the spuds remain. I assume he has other commitments unlike the aforementioned spuds who can't get a job anywhere else. I wouldn't mind reducing the commentary team back to a few headed by Casey.

And YES to Tragardh for WNBL. Two birds, one stone as in WNBL gets trolled and NBL viewers don't have to listen to him any longer.

Reply #707436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and Worthington is a commentator now? Wow, just wow. So now we have Heal, Tragardh, Anstey AND Worthington... vomit.

Looking forward to Kerle and Forman at least. Far more intelligent than the four above. I hate this trend of dumbo Aus sports commentators... I don't get it.

Reply #707437 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't mind Rosen, commentary-wise.

Reply #707448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rosen is fine, especially when compared to some of the utter trash commentary by certain commentators.

Reply #707449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage is the worst...absolute robot

Reply #707451 | Report this post

DaAnswer  
Years ago

Some interesting inclusions and omissions...
Minus the Russell 'Brothers', (mainly Dwayne "delightful" Russell), add Harvey and Rucker.
Hope Santamaria gets more of a look in, did very well on the NBLxNBA game he interviewed in, upgrade on Greer.

Reply #707464 | Report this post

DaAnswer  
Years ago

Some interesting inclusions and omissions...
Minus the Russell 'Brothers', (mainly Dwayne "delightful" Russell), add Harvey and Rucker.
Hope Santamaria gets more of a look in, did very well on the NBLxNBA game he interviewed in, upgrade on Greer.

Reply #707465 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't mind Greer. Does a good job - he does have a habit of rambling on though - in that PHX x Breakers game, he was talking for a few minutes straight in game. [talking about the NBL - when obviously they envisage that commentators in that position a brief to allow the in game commentary].

Reply #707473 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Abbey Gelmis is at Channel 7 doing the cricket, Neroli Meadows is doing the cricket for Fox this summer.

They've put up a pretty big team of commentators - remember the days when it was just Casey and Carf?

Reply #707478 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

MACDUB - In Adelaide sport interest is mostly AFL and most of that is the Crows.
Most are happy Greenwood came to the Crows and interested in what he does.
That's Adelaide .
If the Crows bought the 36ers then I would be on air . It was said onair , here.

Reply #707487 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Are you ok Camel 31?

I think Greer, Rosen and Santamaria are all very good, particularly Liam. I'd much rather guys like this than Russell and Russell, Heal and Homocide.

Reply #707492 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Rosen is Zzz and Greer pretty average IMO.

The Russell's get hate it seems mostly because they commentated AFL/NRL before basketball and not the other way around like Grybas, Casey. They aren't bad.

The Reasonable
John Casey - Obviously
Steve Carfino - When he's not anchoring the commentary
Dwayne Russell - He's a fine commentator, haters going to hate
Matt Russell - See above
Anthony Hudson - Quality caller - goes through fluctuations of good enthusiastic calling (see AFL 2005/06) and dull over it calling (see AFL post 2006)
Lacy Reid - Good caller, can cop the Wildcats patriotism
Shane Heal - Don't like him as a person, but he's fine in the role he has and brings star prominence to the media side of the NBL

The Question Marks
Chris Anstey, Oscar Forman, Mark Worthington, Simon Kerle - Never heard commentate
Liam Santamaria - Nice stuff with NBA x NBL, decent in NBL preseasons, lets see how it translates into professional NBL calling
Shawn Redhage - Still a bit green last year, could make a major step in commentating though
Rob Canning - Experienced in Sports Tonight, would be a good TV show anchor for NBL IMO
Warren Tredrea, Hugh Greenwood - Star reputation, lets see how it translates to commentating
Paige Cooper, Seb Costello, Nathan Strempel, Sam Squires, , Alison Ariotti - Never heard of these people, can't comment either way

The Mute Button
Brad Rosen - I don't want to fall asleep
Homicide - Calm Down - Stop saying "listen up kids" or pretending you're making a big call on something obvious "I'm telling you.... Remember I said this!"
Cam Tragardh - Voice isn't for radio/TV, sorry. I like what he's saying, just not how he says it.

Reply #707496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no problems at all with any of them

Haters will hate and if was so easy then everyone would do it (remember CJ Bruton)

Rosen,Homocide and Tragardh are great. All
Different and I love that

Reply #707522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon Kerle is brutally bad. Do they do any checks on these guys or did they think just because he dyed his hair blonde that he was a personality?

Reply #708301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That they chose Kerle over Harvey is mind boggling

Reply #708303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They hired Heal so anything goes.

Reply #708324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were telling us how good Cadee one on one D was as Mellow went around him 10 seconds later if he was a withches hat. Lol. No comments then.

Reply #708348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is shameful.

Reply #708386 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Now that the first round is over, what are everyone's opinion of the commentary so far? I'm curious to hear the new commentators like Kerle and Forman again.

Kerle was my biggest disappointment as I was expecting something else -- unfiltered commentary, maybe -- but his flat tone of voice doesn't work well on TV.

Reply #709302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

happy to give everyone a few games before writing them off. yes even Paige Cooper.

Reply #709303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kerle would excel if he went back to being unfiltered like back in the day. Has age mellowed him?

Reply #709313 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I'm guessing that Kerle was the only one they could get in Brisbane. That way there are no travelling costs.
Losing Harvey, whatever reason, was a big gap to fill. A class act.
He fitted in with everyone, sounded great. Still on the Gold Coast, hoping they get him back. Tragardh over Wortho...anyday. MW more desperate for work these days.
Heal is the only guy on a full contract, Fox squeezing every second they can out of it. Game advertising/presentations have been excellent. Me thinks the budget for that area has been raised, but the commentary side probably cut!!

Reply #710630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is still awful and Homicide is still spouting off crap. Nothing new there.

Reply #710632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal on full contract is farcical. LK/NBL don't owe him anything just because he's an ex-star and a failed bankrupt. NBL under LK is becoming a jobs for the boys league.

Reply #710675 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To be fair to Heal even though I don't like him as a person he's a very good commentator, presents well and good for banter without descending to Homicide levels.

Honestly there probably isn't a better representative as a face for the NBL outside of maybe Gaze but with his Kings job and not being known for much in the way of controversial opinions I would even think Heal probably is 'better'.

Reply #710678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal good comentator, keeps telling viewers how good Cadee is.

Reply #710679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep if Cadee ever becomes good then Heal will rightly be able to claim that he told us so and was 5 years ahead of the game.

Reply #710694 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:40 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754