ME
Years ago

Crowd chants and color on NBL courts needs to improve.

The NBL is doing a good job in a lot of areas, but the small glaring issues I am seeing on TV at the moment are the incredibly lame crowd chants and the boring looking court designs.

It seems like every team's chant is "Let's go - insert team name - let's go," and "DE-FENCE" clap, clap, clap. When an NBA sideline reporter asked a Perth fan to do a Perth chant and he responded with one of these lame chants, they more or less laughed him off like "yes, very original". That is what most of the TV viewers will be thinking as well. it makes our league look tacky.

I understand that most new chants will be fan generated, but seeing as the chants directly affect the game night atmosphere and how the product looks and feels on TV, I think Kestleman needs to have a hand in directing the direction of this element of fan engagement, whether it be to start a competition between teams for the best new chants, or whatever it may be. Yes, my gripe with this may seem petty, but it is the small things that make a big difference, and frankly, the crowd bored the hell out of me from Illwarra last night. The crowd from TV didn't inspire me to want to be a part of them, and that means something when it comes to ticket sales and viewership. When you see a hyped soccer crowd, mexican waving, singing a song, whatever it is, you actually want to join in even if you can't bare the game of soccer.

And the courts look amateur, even moreso than before. My understanding was they called the key "the paint" because it was generally painted. They've taken the color out of the paint and left some ugly NBL logo down there. It lacks personality. I'd even be happy with a big ass sponsor logo in the key if it added a bit of color.

Topic #44033 | Report this topic

Haz  
Years ago

Court design has been deteriorating for some time now. I mentioned this in the other thread about the game presentation.

No home court feel anymore. Just the same league appointed sponsors on every court with a redundant NBL logo in the keyway. Why not put the home clubs logo in keyway instead? There is no sponsor taking up that space at the moment.

I dont mind a colourless keyway - would prefer a painted one - but a colourless one can look clean and slick. Its just the NBL cant seem to pull this off.

Crowd chants - agree to some extent. However soccer is so boring the fans need to make chants to entertain themselves. Although the NBL chants are lame and dated. I suspect too many casual fans with who aren't that engaged with the league and the players yet to be able to form decent chants.

Reply #708146 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NSEC had the best floor, RIP

Reply #708150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the only thing pissing me off with the NBL this year is the bloody annoying first ever.com advertising that comes on every ad break with the absolute awful music (if you call it that)

Reply #708159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An NBL game is not a disco. No a nightclub.

Please turn down, and turn off the music. No need for it to be played constantly.

And please, PLEASE. No more First Ever ads.

Reply #708160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said about the chants. But that's just Aussie fans for you. They struggle with creativity. I was watching the AFL Grand final the other day and the chants were "Eaaagles" and "Collingwoooood". Having said that in the NBA, the "warrioooorrs" chant is one of the most famous.

To be honest, the most Bush league chant I've heard is "hungry Jack's! Hungry Jacks!" Which the Adelaide guys scream

Reply #708163 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Definitely need to have a logo and name of the home team on the court.

Reply #708174 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

The colour and branding of the court for the Kings is pretty decent. Would love other teams to follow suit.

Reply #708198 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It looks exactly the same as every other court in the league. Which is the problem.

Reply #708247 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Do you think the players forget which city they are playing in?

My highly scientific study says yes, considering the amount of road wins already this year.

Reply #708255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooray, Brisbane painted their key

Reply #708271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cringeworthy Twitter posts are doing my head in. Is their account run by a lame 16 year old white kid whose only influence is outdated Afro-American terminology?

Reply #708290 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

If nothing else, we need to ban monosyllabic teams from using the "Let's Go" chant. "Cro-ocs" was bad enough, by "Haw-orcs" is truly lamentable.

Reply #708342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hungry Jacks chant has spread to Brisbane...

Reply #708354 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I am pro-Hungry Jack's chant. Take note, other potential sponsors, at what the right kind of promotion can get people to do.

Reply #708358 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It really ought to be saved for after they miss the first shot.

Reply #708371 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Agreed.

Reply #708383 | Report this post

I'm all for no sponsors at all on the court.
Just have the home teams logo in the centre court, 2 x NBL logos below the foul lines.
In the past the NBL needed these spaces filled but these days the LED screens at every venue provide enough advertising.
Also polluting the court with trashy logos takes away from the brand that is the NBL.
Think AFL, A League, Cricket, Tennis. All those sports have plenty of Advertising around the ground yet leave the playing surface blank.

These decals all over the place are also a hazard for the players safety. The Boomers were in hot water for removing a decal which they felt was unsafe in the international disgraced Philippines game. I have worked with Vinyl for 20 years and it’s not designed to be wet on the surface. Those who play ball know when you wipe sweat off the court with your feet, it dries quite quickly. Won’t dry on Vinyl anywhere near as fast.

Reply #708557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of sponsors on court and then accentuate the teams' identities by having oversized club logo at centre court, e.g. think Kansas Jayhawks in NCAA style.

Reply #708558 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Just paint the lines per the rule book would be a good idea. Amateur Melbourne today with their keyway fail.

What ever happened to officials checking the court before a game is played.

Reply #708559 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Most teams wouldn't own the courts they play on, so they can't paint them.

I must be imagining the Toyota logos plastered all over every AFL ground.

Reply #708666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True. Time to buy those portable court that get assembled and them you can.

Reply #708689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True. Time to buy those portable courts that can get assembled and reassembled and then you can.

Reply #708690 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What does a court cost? I can't imagine teams would want to shell out for one if there's one readily available.

Not to mention buying a new one every season due to a change in sponsorship.

How did none of the commentators notice the issue? The closest we got was Dwayne Russell claiming one of the coaches wanted to put tape down to mark were Wesley was allowed to stand, but it was presented as a joke and not as the exact thing that should have been happening. Not that I expect much better from Russell, mind you.

Reply #708696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buy an assemble-able court with logo painted on (i.e. oversized Kansas Jayhawks style logo), add sponsor decals on top where and when necessary. Although no ads on court would be preferable since they are already on the LEDs on the sideline. Own court, a slick club logo that really stands out (hopefully a lot of these could be redesigned/modernised) would look sick and really stand out on TV.

As it currently stands currently the courts look like a rabble. Yuck.

Is it because court = league sponsors while LEDs/sideline = club sponsors perhaps?

Reply #708700 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Being on the court would be worth more. Visible to fans on the other side of the stadium, visible the entire game, guaranteed to show up in news clips, photos, etc.

Reply #708704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:44 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754