Splinky
Years ago

NineGo standard definition is bad

Far out this standard definition television is trash.

Think it might be better to watch on nbl.tv which while not HD, is better than this 576 rubbish.

Topic #44037 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can get a HD stream of 9Go on 9Now as well for free (think you need an account though)

Reply #708202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched a bit of the Sixers Utah game on Go last week. Awful picture quality. Was like watching a game that through the kitchen window. Thank goodness goodness for Foxtel.

Reply #708205 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What is most disappointing is that for basketball fans the wnbl is on pretty much the same time on sbs on Saturday so you have to record one and watch it later.

The two keagues obviously did not talk to one another when looking at broadcast times.

Reply #708229 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

100% agree on the NBL and WNBL being played at the same time. Very hard to watch both at the same time!

Reply #708232 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

But getting on 9go was a landmark deal!

Reply #708245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 9 deal is good for marketing the NBL to the masses (more news coverage and more findable to channel surfers) but it's a worse deal for the people who would look for channels like SBS Viceland to watch NBL.

Reply #708249 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

You need a profile to watch through 9Go online but getting a profile is as simple as going onto the site and linking it to your Facebook.

As for the definition, yeah, it sucks. But people are watching things on 9Go and dealing with it so I suppose there's a good chance some will brave it to watch NBL.

But yes, should really have gone somewhere HD. The only win here is exposure and to be fair, Channel Nine have done plenty of talk about the NBL lately.

Will be interesting to see what the ratings were for the first game.

Reply #708254 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Think it might be better to watch on nbl.tv which while not HD, is better than this 576 rubbish.
NBL TV is in HD.

Reply #708257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First World problems FFS!!!

Reply #708366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NineGoAwayPlease

Reply #708388 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Nine are also plugging NBL through articles on ninemsn. Including video highlights. Gotta be good to have a mainstream "news site" putting up 2 or 3 stories at the same time.

Reply #708414 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't have Foxtel so I appreciated being able to easily watch on TV. Great game.

Reply #708417 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There could be a larger play here: see how it rates, build exposure through plugs on Nine.

Maybe next year key games get televised on Nine and year after maybe it gets shifted to Nine

Reply #708421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't have fox either so I enjoyed the nine coverage. Don’t care witch nine Chanel nine though, it’s all the same to me. I would like to see more gammon nine though.

Reply #708422 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, you have to think about the long game. The NBL was never going to get a fantastic deal straight out the gates. But if the ratings and response is encouraging it wouldn't surprise me if they throw a few games on 9HD, such as finals games, and then build from there. They've been doing a fantastic job plugging the league

Reply #708450 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Re: long game on 9

In peak time viewing, secondary channels ratings are roughly equivalent to sbs main channel. For daytime viewing, there's less competition and less market size/ total viewers. 2:30 pm on weekend afternoons should be a good gauge to see if NBL can perform well in tv ratings.

In NSW and Qld, even the AFL is only broadcast on a secondary channel (7Mate until now) except for the grand final (and other finals involving Sydney Swans for NSW).

To expect the NBL to be given a primary channel at this stage is hoping for too much. The articles on nine.com.au will help. The close games will help. Having HJs on board to buy up advertising space will help.

It’s now up to the league and franchises to produce a quality product and package it well. Competing sports are generally watched by an older demographic (eg cricket and tennis). Big bash and A League are night time sports.

If the games and entertainment package crate excitement and attract return viewers (who might stumble upon a broadcast accidentally at this stage) there’s a bright future.

I think the NBL has its best chance in a long time to gain mainstream traction.

Reply #708458 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Watched game on nbl.tv and glad they kept the service. Can't watch every game live due to work and other stuff. I really like the ability to watch replays and other games. I thought the nbl.tv picture quality had improved on my 2.6Mbps ADSL service, compared to last year. Maybe they are using better codecs like Netflix are.

Might watch Nine some time and think it is great for the NBL exposure to be on Nine. I also think it is a long game for the NBL'

Will never use Foxtel. The only thing it offers is sport and a crap digital model compared to newer offerings. If only Netflix did sport.

Reply #708461 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think it's best that people watch replays on the 9Go site as opposed to the NBLTV app. It adds to their views and helps the cause. Plus they upload the games on the same day. I saw the overtime games that I missed from there.

Reply #708465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is there is no long game. NBL cycle from one FTA channel to another and it never goes anywhere.

Reply #708471 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

That's assuming that the coverage fails to gather momentum, and channel nine do seem to be getting behind and cross promoting this in ways that other channels either didn't, or didn't have the capacity to. They've signed on for 3 years. If the league shows good signs or promise than there will be a long game but the league still needs to justify its worth to them.

Reply #708475 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

It'll be interesting to see how long if we see more non NBL sponsor ads in the broadcasts.

I have heard that you won’t get a network deal until you sign up advertisers yourself in the modern tv landscape.

Reply #708507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously need HD 9Go

Reply #708529 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

With Nines contacts and NBLs increasing contacts I think there's real opportunity to increase sponsors and tv advertising.

I don’t think a high paying TV deal is really a possibility given the gluttony of other sports getting $$$, but the NBL can focus on increasing market reach and therefore revenue.

The Perth model is one to emulate - competent front office, 10k average crowd, reasonable sponsorship and not contingent on NBL handout or TV money.

This year if the NBL can get a Sunday TV show on Nine plus some finals on Nine, that would go a long way

Reply #708594 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I appreciate that the bball is on 9GO, but at the same time I agree quality was low.

I'm undecided if I'll watch 9Go or watch NBL.TV on the iPad next time I'm watching a game that's broadcast.

Reply #708921 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:17 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754