Hogwash
Years ago

Brisbane v Cairns, 13 Oct 2018

Will the road team get a fifth consecutive win to start the season or can Brisbane get this one?
Thoughts.

Topic #44038 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think Cairns will get up. Nice to see the game selling out too.

Reply #708243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How's everybody's fantasy team going?

Reply #708244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane easily, not enough defenders on the cairns line up. Not convinced on there imports except for Newbill. Walker out I believe as well.

Reply #708264 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

With how some of these 1st round games have gone I'm going to give up on guessing. Just hoping it's a close one.

Reply #708266 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I know Bairstow hasn't played a lot the last 2 years.

But for a former NBA player, he throws up some really ordinary shots and makes some dumb plays sometimes.

I wonder whether he thinks he is a better perimeter player than what he thinks. IMO I really dont think he has the skillset to operate too far from deep post.

Reply #708283 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Either the Cairns offense looking very ordinary, or Brisbane playing good defense. Seem to be taking shots coming toward the end of the shot clock. Gliddon has been cold so far this game too

Reply #708289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow looking quite average

Reply #708291 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ugly game to watch so far.

Reply #708296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "hungry jacks" chant is the cringiest thing ever

Reply #708297 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Casey and trigger trying hard to prompt kerle into offering something

Reply #708298 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just realised that both of these teams are quite old/dont have many young players in rotation.

Reply #708299 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"How's everybody's fantasy team going?"

I am 40ish clear at the top of the NBL comp. Probably won't last so I’m gloating now!

Reply #708300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee whiz, Trimble is impressive. If Cairns had a strong rebounder they would be winning this comfortably and also be very dangerous this season. I'm not sure about their front court rotation though. Obviously Jawai is a threat, but only plays limited minutes.

Reply #708308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kerle is woeful in the commentary.

Reply #708309 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I thought egwu was hodgson injury replacement, but hodgson is back, did brisbane have a spot avaliable?

Reply #708317 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I thought egwu was hodgson injury replacement, but hodgson is back, did brisbane have a spot avaliable?

Reply #708318 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I was just about to post how good Hodgson looks, before he throws the ball away and fousl a guy 90 feet from the basket for 2 shots...

Reply #708325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I thought egwu was hodgson injury replacement, but hodgson is back, did brisbane have a spot avaliable?"

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Pretty sure they only went with 2 imports originally though because of Bairstow

Reply #708329 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He was a replacement for both Hodgson and Magnay.

Reply #708330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ John Casey's reference at Kerle re: being a chucker. Love it.

Reply #708331 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Ugly basketball... think we're looking at the bottom two teams for 18/19...

Reply #708333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good is Melo Trimble, could make Cairns a contender this year ala Scottie Wilbekin a couple years back

Reply #708338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble is a star!

He's got next level burst

Reply #708340 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He was a replacement for both Hodgson and Magnay.
Although Magnay just hit the floor as well. So who's missing?

Reply #708346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Although Magnay just hit the floor as well. So who's missing?"

Brisbane are still LK owned aren't they? Cue NBL conspiracy theories

Reply #708347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where was Lucas Walker for Cairns?

Reply #708350 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Lucas Walker is still recovering from ankle surgery, but is just about ready to go.

Reply #708355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical bullets. Win the tough one and lose once there is some expectations

Reply #708359 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Melo Trimble was huge, took the game by storm and took over, Bullets couldn't contain. Kid is gonna be big this year. So much energy.

Bullets look uninspiring... again. Talent is there, Bairstow looks cooked though.

Reply #708362 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

He's not gonna make them a contender - abit big of a call. We've seen in this league, you can have one superstar dominate each game but in this league, your teammates have to support you. Cairns will have some shocker games where their imports go cold and they can't put points up, they'll also have some amazing games like this too. Just can't see them getting over the line against structured and well coached teams like Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide.

Reply #708363 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Trimble was great barely looked like he raised a sweat, just so quick and composed.

As for fantasy Deleon out, Trimble in first thing Monday

Reply #708368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a spud of a performance by Brisbane. How did they beat NZ? Last season of Lemanis before they can get a coach who can actually recruit a team.

Liked listening to Kerle, he warmed into his role as he game progressed. Trigger is intelligent but his drawl is difficult to stomach.

Reply #708374 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Who started deleon in fantasy???? Why!!!!

Reply #708378 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Think about Creek in for Brisbane and cutting Egwu for a US point guard... Jesus, that's a squad:

Import PG
Gliddon
Gee
Creek
Bairstow

Gibson
Cadee
Holt
Te Rangi
Vukona
Hodgson

Reply #708380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd play Hodgson ahead of Bairstow.

Reply #708382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see a smart coach in kelly telling his players to try and score in the last possession of the game rather than run the clock out when head to head plays a huge part in deciding ladder positions. I doubt gaze would have the brains to think about something like that.

Reply #708418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is a disaster as a starting point guard. But he's Lemanis’ love child so it will be interesting to see how long Andrej persists with him. This team needs a new US PG, then cut Holt and replace him with an import 4-5.

Reply #708420 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Why the hell is Holt still in the NBL??

Reply #708439 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Bullets trifecta of spoons coming along nicely.

Reply #708445 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

REALLY want Brisbane to come good and succeed, and had reasonable expectations last night after they stole a win in NZ. But boy they were bad last night.

Performance summed up in the 2nd half by Vukona, who held the ball and took it up court instead of handing off. Inexplicably tried to pull off a dribble move crossing the ball between his legs, but gave the rock up cold leading to an easy Cairns two. Ugh.

Much is needed from the point. Cadee is a good bench option but as a starter he's not getting the team to the playoffs. 4/18 shooting in two games btw.

Egwu is plain bad and needs to be jettisoned asap for someone more productive.

Gee's early form is concerning.

With the team on the market I have a feeling they can't spend freely on players. Either way if their prospects don't improve in the next 2-3 weeks I hope some smart personnel moves are made to make the group more competitive.

Reply #708447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why bring in holt if you're going to play him 15 min?

Reply #708466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis and Cadee and Brisbane are a match made in heaven. It's as if LK is quarantining anyone who can't get a job to the Bullets. Also apart from the player composition the coaching staff is even worse - CJ Bruton, Sam Mackinnon, Brad Hill. Just throwing a bone out there to ex players who are unemployed with no coaching experience. What a joke franchise.

Reply #708472 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Brad Hill is actually with the Taipans.

Reply #708474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bad.

Reply #708480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From his demeanor you wouldn't think he was part of the winning team.

Reply #708481 | Report this post

Years ago

Isn't Brads dad the coach of Pioneers and Brad a part of this successful seabl team ? He has been around a coChing family his entire life so surely he has experience.

Reply #708505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay scrap the Hill comment. CJ and Sam Mac however...

Reply #708533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:24 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754