Jack Toft
Years ago

Melbourne vs New Zealand 14th Oct

So far this season, every away team has blitzed the home team. Mind you it is only round 1.

New Zealand were dacked by Brisbane at home and Melbourne took out an absolute epic game in Wollongong. Quadruple overtime. As rare as finding a basketballer without ink.

This game could go either way. You would expect those Breakers to have the fresher legs, but Melbourne at home... I would be disappointed if the stadium was not packed to the rafters with every Melbourne fan. Finding a barista in Fitzroy to get a soy latte with lactose free organically grown almond milk and a double twist might be hard. Keep an eye out for the SE Melbourne cheer squad barracking for the Breakers.

The Heart Breakers will have the fresh legs, but I'm thinking their enthusiasm will be easily overcome by the talent of United.

First home team to chalk up a win this season.

Topic #44043 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was the Melbourne bench that United got home against the hawks due foul trouble on the starters especially McCarron and Moller, these guys might have to do it again as some the older guys might struggle. Melbourne by 2.

Reply #708456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this game on FTA?

Reply #708464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I ask if it is on FTA because the TV guide says the Perth game is and the NBL app says the Melbourne game

Reply #708473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

93 on now.

Reply #708478 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

Kennedy out?

Reply #708482 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Breakers have to get the ball through some hands and MOVE on offence. If they stand around watching Corey or whoever fiddle and diddle we will be in for along night.

Reply #708484 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Blue uniforms?

Reply #708485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Heal on every game? Whhhhyyyy :(

Actually I know why - he's bankrupt and needs the money so "commentates" max no. of games. Getting bailed out by LK. Not right on us fans though. ARGH!

Reply #708486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordon have you been living under a rock? Powder blue has been their alternate for years.

Reply #708487 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

is there no markings on keyway to designate where players can stand during free throws?

Reply #708489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are markings, but hard to see against the sponsor decals.

Reply #708490 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Sounds like they've had a committee meeting about the lines

Reply #708492 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Did Goulding tr6 to shoot a layup around the defender's head?

Reply #708493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would make sense if there were sponsor decals on the lines

Reply #708494 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I don't think there is any marks. I think the ref has made a decision to use the lines from the floorboards where they are laid.

Reply #708495 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

They mentioned the court is realigned. What has changed at the venue?

Reply #708496 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Maybe the trailing ref can sort it out on each final ft attempt???

Very weird

Reply #708497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh I see it - there is a line but not *the* free throw line (just a court gap?). How the F does this happen?

Reply #708498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Key line*

Reply #708499 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Hash marks for rebounders are also there. Swan-off hash marks.

Reply #708501 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Hooley out of control there! Does that a bit when under pressure driving to the basket. Lucky to pick up the foul after banging into the defense.

Reply #708504 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Ffs stop with the behind the ring freed throw camera looks terrible!

Reply #708506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely united will be fined by the league for that...

Reply #708509 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Honestly, looks like we have to run a set/play for Webster just to score! Geez

Reply #708510 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Good fightback. Long looks good. Made some nice passes in low block. Corey needs to stay patient, maybe get to hoop/ line. Wesley going about his business and Abercrombie stepping up. Game of two quarters so far.

Reply #708511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pledger is garbage; such a washed-up out of touch big man

Reply #708512 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Smart play by Braswell.

Sees Pledger out there, goes to small ball running Delaney and Wesley and the get some easy baskets beating the United bigs up the Court.

Reply #708513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron hahahaha what a chump

Reply #708514 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

"Splinky
Today

They mentioned the court is realigned. What has changed at the venue?"

They have changed the court direction, east/west to north/south or vice versa. What was side seating is now behind the basket etc.

Reply #708515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braswell should bench Webster and get him to watch Richard.

Reply #708516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If nz had made early shots the game would be over, NZ trailed by 9 at 1/4 time they should have led.

Reply #708517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else getting the shakes once their is a break in play?

Pretty sure that First Ever ad has just literally played 3 times in one minute. F*ck.

Reply #708519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C-webb 0-of-8... ouch

Reply #708520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is LK doing everything he can not to look at the camera

Reply #708522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne looking confused, Goulding not defending and Casper very out touch

Reply #708539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley super pumped in the timeout.

Reply #708541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne should've retained Wesley.

Reply #708545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL NBL is an AWAY win league. All the HOME teams are duds.

Reply #708553 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Richard is smooth! Very good for a budget import.

Reply #708554 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Is the blowout troll masquerading as the away team troll. #708553.

Perth will snap the home losing streak.

Reply #708555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a one sided league. Home teams are at theirs yet SUPER SOFT!

Reply #708556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne to miss play offs, I'm calling it.

Reply #708566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think so too. Championship hangover plus players are old and Felix turned their season around last season.

Reply #708567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach struggles with rotations as well, early days but signs not good.

Reply #708573 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I think I prefer the new court alignment.

No Kennedy and Casper hopelessly out of touch, spells L-O-S-S. Boone lacked his usual energy too, perhaps it was soreness after Friday.

Still not sold on this United group. Barlow obviously a very different player offensively to Wesley. It's showing. Barlow was good enough today but I fear in the long run we've had an offensive downgrade.

Reply #708575 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United just wasn't getting going offensively after qtr time. There were periods during the 3rd and 4th where defensive energy lifted and they turned it into good offense.

But, they're lacking the low post option

Last year, when things dried up there was always plan B. Just set up a play for Wesley in the low post

The whole offense looks far less potent now that Wesley has gone.

Reply #708577 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

How does no one realise that the key isn't fully marked until AFTER the game has started?!

Amateur hour...

Reply #708656 | Report this post

Em  
Years ago

The new court orientation is terrible - have been a member every year since 1993 and never complained, members seats pushed rows back from last season, poor viewing - could not see about 1/4 of court , my son could not see - had to watch it on the big screen

Reply #708662 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think I prefer the new court alignment.
Having never been to Melbourne Arena, what difference does it actually make?

Reply #708675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why change the orientation after 18 years?

Reply #708686 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wasn't it rotated the same way for the game during the Australian Open last year? Perhaps the tennis setup requires it to be orientated that way, and knowing the AO game will be a regular thing they want consistency.

Reply #708688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like that would be the case.

Reply #708691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just watched the game, who's ever idea to start Goulding in the three on Abercrombie was having a laugh, played Abercrombie back into form. The score board flattered Melbourne at 1/4 time, had NZ made a few shots it would’ve been game over very quickly. Casper had average start to season and Melbourne rely very heavily on him, if he doesn’t get going could be a long season. Melbourne bench rotations seem strange as well, especially with Boone, Pledger, Trist and Smith- Milner all predominately five men and still can’t get a rebound.

Reply #708738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow was crap in the seabl and now is getting lots of minutes. Moller was 2nd best player in the seabl and now get crap minutes. Weird.

Reply #708741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mollers team won the seabl as well, was probably the true mvp and played the 4 spot and wasn't beaten by anyone in that spot.
It looks like Vickerman thinks he’s a three where he’d be very good at with his length and speed, problem there for him he’s behind Kennedy, McCarron and now Goulding on how the line up started yesterday so not much time there you would think. Team balance doesn’t look right, even though Kennedy looks like he’s going to great he’s not a four. They would’ve been better getting someone like Wiley that 76ers got.
Seabl is obviously not nbl but good quality and Moller also won the rebound count at about 12 per game and Melbourne are struggling in this department.

Reply #708760 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

What about Trist? was very very good in SEABL on a terrible team and he can't get any burn at all!

at least Dan spreads the floor but think Vickerman is going to be found out for the avgerage coach that he is

Reply #708762 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Trist has a reasonable resume behind him. I'm surprised he’s behind Smith-Milner in the rotation.

Moller at the 4 is an option worth trying, but wasn’t really an option yesterday with Kennedy out.

I suspect Vickerman was worried Moller would get manhandled by the stronger Wesley.

Reply #708770 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Having said that, Barlow played 28 minutes to Moller's 9. I suspect it was more a matchup thing.

Moller was decent on Friday night and I'm expecting big things from him this season.

Reply #708771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You got get on the floor to produce, Moller a lot stronger than he looks and his length could have worried Wesley and certainly Abercrombie. Trist doesn't seem to be very team first and I think his feet don’t move fast enough on D, again as said above by previous poster lot of what are naturally 5 men. Trist, Smith-Milner, Pledger, Boone.

Reply #708774 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'd call Pledger and Boone natural 5 men.

Smith-Milner has enough range that he could play the 4, but I'm not sure if he's quick enough in this current NBL.

Trist I haven't seen enough of yet. I was hoping he'd be a beast in the low post and replace some of what Wesley did.

Reply #708784 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Trist isn't getting a look in but to say his D is the problem seems odd when he is behind Smith-Milner who hasn't looked like he is competitive at SEABL level let alone in the NBL.

Reply #708786 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm also a bit surprised about Trist. At least offensively I expected United to basically plug him in for Tai, but he did look a bit like Tai pre-2017-18 season on defense too from what I saw in the preseason. I think United could use the scoring though for a bit of a different look.

Reply #708800 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:03 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754