Jack Toft
Years ago

Perth v Illawarra Oct 14

Illawarra put up a brave performance the other night but couldn't quite get it done. Perth with a solid win against the Sixers will look to back it up in front of 20,000 odd fans screaming like teenage girls at a Taylor Swift concert.

Perth rocked by the passing of their Matriarch will no doubt have some form of tribute this game to honour her so there should be plenty of emotion at the stadium as the Hawks take to the pine. I could be a little like ancient Rome where the home gladiators get all the toys, and the Christians get issued with a bible for protection.

No reason for Perth not to win this game by 20

Topic #44044 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

In theory Perth should get this with ease but Illawarra should give Perth a contest for at least three quarters before running out of legs in last quarter.
Hopefully Blanchfield is OK after the other night I think when he goes for 20+ this season Illawarra will be competitive.

Reply #708452 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

This has a trap game for Perth written all over it.

Reply #708463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be pretty surprised if Perth didnt win by at least 15 points. Playing all the way over in Perth 48hrs after a quadruple overtime would have to be the hardest road trip in NBL history.

Reply #708470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks get anywhere near Perth it will be a miracle, Illawarra got injuries plus having to fly for 5 hours drive to Sydney 1.5 hours, can't win. Cats by 30.

Reply #708477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly. Ever heard of the Sunshine Swing the 'Cats used to play with three games (48mins too) in one round? #NBLhistorylesson

Reply #708479 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I thought the "Sunshine Swing" was a double road trip, being Townsville and Cairns.

Reply #708488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct, but 'Cats also used to do a modified Sunshine Swing - Brisbane-Townsville-Cairns.

Reply #708491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats by 60+

Reply #708500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks by 100+

Reply #708502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Draw

Reply #708521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth will forfeit.

Reply #708523 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

If the hawks win this the taipans go top of the table for round 1. go the hawks.

Reply #708560 | Report this post

PleasureKraft  
Years ago

Cats by 10. AJ to keep stinking it up.

Reply #708562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh no, Rosen has made the trip west.

Reply #708564 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

conklin looking at martin and licking his lips..

Reply #708565 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Love it when Ogilvy comes to the arena

Reply #708568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really like Rosen on this call. Nice crewi

Reply #708569 | Report this post

PleasureKraft  
Years ago

Classic AJ

Reply #708570 | Report this post

PleasureKraft  
Years ago

Poor Bevo, he even had to argue the screen that was abviously legal.

Reply #708572 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Jackson is absolutely washed!

Reply #708578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson out the door within the next two rounds

Reply #708579 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Stop the fight! : (

I think I've turned in to a Perth-hater now... Sickens me watching Norton & Kay in their line up. Not quite like KD going to Golden State, but it still hurts.

Reply #708580 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I didn't expect Jordair Jett to be better than Cedric but here we are. The league has left him behind and they would be better off picking up Shannon Shorter instead.

Reply #708581 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy once again has pulled a heartstring muscle, soft, weak as piss, most overpaid and overrated player in the NBL.

Reply #708582 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Hawks look more ready to scrap then play basketball... Grida just going after it for no reason, didn't even realise he had 4 fouls...

Reply #708584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can do it Hawks!
(Get to 60 by the end of the game)

Reply #708585 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Oh dear. 50 point win is on the cards here

Reply #708586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like last seasons aberration of Perth not playing in the GF has been well and truly abolished

Reply #708587 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

There was no one happier than AJ when he sprained his ankle. He didn't have to suffer the humiliation of playing out the game

Reply #708588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scoreline aside, that was the best the Cats had played as a team for a long time, particularly on offence. To be up 20 ish, with Cotton only have a few points at the time, show they are a lot more potent and balanced this year.

Reply #708591 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Agree the concern that Perth would be relying on cotton seems to be incorrect this year

Reply #708593 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Looks like last seasons aberration of Perth not playing in the GF has been well and truly abolished

Scoreline aside, that was the best the Cats had played as a team for a long time, particularly on offence.

I think it would help to remember you were playing against one of the lower ranked teams in the competition, coming off a 4OT game and travelling from the other side of the country.

Reply #708597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks must've been a bit flat. Still, the wildcats looked good and have done their fair share of travelling recently too.

Cedric is a big worry for Illawarra. Might be washed up.

Reply #708599 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Surely Cedric wont make 5 games.

Could be the worst roster decision (Jackson and Jett) since the 3 centers Tigers experiment (which got the coach fired BTW)

Reply #708609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think it would help to remember... "

That's why I said scoreline aside. That game could have easily been scrappy from both teams, as the Cats have often played down to their opponents level in these sorts of games in recent years. Yes they won by a lot but they still executed very well almost all game, had a good spread of scorers, didn't rely heavily on Cotton and won as convincingly as they should have.

Reply #708610 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

That was disgraceful.
For all the hatred for Cedric, he still has the smarts and some of the moves.
Jett, fair dinkum, looks like he spent the last few years at McDonalds.

It wasn't even worth booing Conklin. Playing for that team is the worst punishment. At least we got to see plenty of the bench, and even Steindl was putting on a show.

Reply #708617 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

In 2 weeks, Perth go from losing to 58, to losing by 8, to winning by 8, to winning by 40.

Reply #708618 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Hawks players weren't given exit seats on the plane! Im short as and i hate flying because i feel squashed, can't imagine how these guys felt. ME was complaining about import level, well saving costs by makimg teams fly in coach, in normal seats is a big no no for attracting big talent!

Reply #708628 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

In a 40 point game exit row seats probably can`t be blamed too much, which is just as well because yeah that`s a joke of a scenario for any NBL team. I`d hate for something like that to have been the difference.

Reply #708653 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree that Jett/Jackson combo is questionable. At best, a serious gamble they probably couldn't afford to make.

Had high hopes Cedric would return to his best under Bevo but doesn't sound like it's going to happen. If he isn't going to bring any one facet, might as well have a livewire who could excite people or might go 5/16.

Reply #708758 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Still just a bit cheesed by the whole thing.

I wanted to go to home opens but had to abandon those plans as apparently most of our games are now in the middle of the day.
Never received our membership packs, so arrived early to collect, but apparently a lot of people were in the same boat. Never understood why The Cats helpdesk is on the inside, where you can't go without a pass? They couldn't find it, again not the only ones, so they had to reprint one-off tickets for us.
The, God only knows what they were going at the doors. We arrived at the Arena at 1:30~35, for a 2:20pm start, and still missed all but a minute of the first quarter.
Then, and after 6 years they still can't get this right, printed the wrong doors on our tickets, so had another argument with the door-nazi. FMD.

Then the game was a total yawn-fest. It was literally over before I sat down.
Cats bench cam on and just started bombing away, and the Hawks still couldn't keep up. Two of their guys fouled out, and it was just meh, yawn. I actually felt sorry for Bevo.
I like a good shellacking as much as the next fan, and sometimes its nice to not have heart palpitations during the last few minutes, but this was ridiculous.

Reply #708847 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Agree that Jett/Jackson combo is questionable. At best, a serious gamble they probably couldn't afford to make.

Had high hopes Cedric would return to his best under Bevo but doesn't sound like it's going to happen. If he isn't going to bring any one facet, might as well have a livewire who could excite people or might go 5/16.Between the two of them, they almost make a good import, but its as though each has only one dimension to their game. Jackson is a good backcourt general, but doesn't do much himself. Jett can shoot, but that's about it.

Reply #708849 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Well that didn't work

Reply #708850 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sorry to hear about your bad day Dazza.
Chin up mate no more Sunday home games until 25 November.

Reply #708856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"God only knows what they were going at the doors."

It was the first Cats home game under the new policy of no bags bigger than A4 size and despite all the warnings it still caught out a lot of people and caused huge delays with people getting inside. usually the lines move really fast but a few people holding things up arguing about bags really screws up the whole thing. should be better for the rest of the games.

Reply #708862 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I arrived at 2pm and was inside for the minute of silence before the anthem. Not sure how it took you an hour to get in.

Reply #708863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They had the normal doors with massive lines, and a virtually non-existent line at the VIP section.

Maybe they need to separate the lines to those with and without bags so us bagless folks aren't unnecessarily slowed down by bag people.

Reply #708864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wanted to go to home opens but had to abandon those plans as apparently most of our games are now in the middle of the day."

Cry me a river, really?

So Dazz first you said you had a holiday house you go to on weekends but now looking for another place?

Reply #708878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're being a bit preciouzz.

Reply #708879 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Where were the warnings about bah size, i never saw them anywhere. Didn't help that security was holding the whole line back when one person had a bag issue.

Reply #708881 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

All over the RAC Arena website, tweeted by RAC Arena and the Wildcats, posted in the Wildcats email newsletter, announced on loop over the PA system outside RAC Arena....

Reply #708887 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Didn't see it in the newsletter. Probably should have been in the members pack or on facebook. Or sent as a specific message not fineprint. Bit late once you are at the game

Reply #708901 | Report this post

Haydos  
Years ago

All over the RAC Arena website, tweeted by RAC Arena and the Wildcats, posted in the Wildcats email newsletter, announced on loop over the PA system outside RAC Arena....

Also in a text message from RAC Arena on the morning of the game (at least I got one, not sure about others).

Reply #708907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who looks at the RAC arena website? Didn't get a text and didn’t read the fine print in a newsletter. Wasn’t on Facebook at all. Wildcats could have pushed a txt to members, bit bloody late when you are already at the arena. I don’t carry a bag, but the ineptitude of the security meant that people missed tip off because others had larger than A4 bags. Also heard of some security pulling the straps out of bags to then say when you factor in the straps it is larger than A4... I do not understand what it is they are achieving? Where people taking suitcases to the game or something?

Furthermore RAC arena rules prevent basketballs or any other balls been taken in, yet you can purchase them an dmultiple other balls from the merch stand... Securtiy no longer about security.

Reply #708908 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

didn't read the fine print in a newsletter.
This is hardly fine print:

Reply #708909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pedant.

Reply #708913 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a horrible policy. Had no one who works at the arena ever had kids? If you want to go somewhere with a couple of small kids you need a bag.

Reply #708932 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I arrived at 2pm and was inside for the minute of silence before the anthem. Not sure how it took you an hour to get in.

Well maybe you should read posts more thoroughly before responding?

Reply #708958 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"So Dazz first you said you had a holiday house you go to on weekends but now looking for another place?"

Holiday House? I wish.

We've had Sunday arvo games before, and whilst annoying I can suck it up for a couple. But 8 of our games are in the middle of the day.

Reply #708962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awww you poor thing.

Reply #708968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a clash with home opens? seriously? OMG NBL talk about negligent scheduling!!!!!

Reply #708983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how come Conklin wouldn't shake Gleesons hand at the end of the game?

Reply #708997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson and Nielsen.

Reply #708998 | Report this post

Anonomouse  
Years ago

Think about the conversations that may have taken place between those three after Martins jaw was smashed.

Reply #709000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which you'd expect after a highly emotional incident. Good to see Gleeson and Nielsen not be so petty though.

Reply #709003 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's a horrible policy. Had no one who works at the arena ever had kids?
It's not just an RAC Arena policy, it's the newest thing that venues are doing. It's been in place at Brisbane and Sydney for a year or two now, I believe.

Reply #709020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the reason for this policy? It's not like there isn't plenty of space underneath the seats for normal sized bags

Reply #709022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems like one of those "security theatre" rules that are designed to make people feel safe against a threat that doesn't exist.

Reply #709025 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's pretty much the only reason for any of the rules, as far as I can tell.

Even the 'no outside food' is explained as a food safety policy, instead of a 'so-we-can-jack-up-prices' policy.

Reply #709026 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754