Isaac
Years ago

Rookie of the Year predictions after Round 1?

Any Rookie of the Year thoughts after round one in NBL 2018/19? If you'd dared a prediction during the pre-season, has it changed?

Who are the eligible candidates?

McVeigh
Froling
Trist
Naar
Grida
Vague eligible?
Bowen?

Topic #44057 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

I think Vague and SmithMilner are both eligible they have played previously as DPs same as Froling.
Don't think Trist is eligible.

My early guess is Naar.

Reply #708974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Technically Bowen would be eligible given he isn't a 'restricted' player under the NBL rules? If so, I'd favour him slightly over Naar.

Reply #708975 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Naar because he'll be starting in about 2 weeks

Reply #708976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut

Reply #708977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good chance ROY could come out of Illawarra this season.

Grida, Naar & Nelson are all really interesting prospects who will be getting minutes, have an opportunity to impact games and ultimately the season outcome for the Hawks.

Reply #708978 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Emmett Naar for mine.

Reply #708979 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Grida. The kid hasn't even looked like a rookie. He reminds me of a poor man's Joe Ingles. I think he's a future star in the league and will probably play his share of B grade Boomers games in his career.

Reply #708980 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some good options this year.

Bowen looks like what was expected of Ferguson but I did wonder if he'll maintain the form from his first outing.

I like Froling and think Adelaide need him playing minutes to replace Hodgson's contributions. Perth don't need much from Vague, but he's solid too. And Tohi makes the most of chances.

Naar is going to have to fill in for Cedric assuming he continues the end of his career.

Is Grida going to battle for minutes behind Blanchfield and Coenraad?

You wouldn't want to be betting your house on just one of the field...

Reply #708985 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Either between Daniel Grida, Emmet Naar, Harry Froling and Brian Bowen.

Reply #708987 | Report this post

Nogg  
Years ago

Trist won't be a rookie, he's played 2 years In Spain and a year somewhere else. If Bowen counts the Devon Hall probably should be included too,and they would be my picks. Out of the Aussies, I like Naar the best

Reply #708994 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Yep Naar for me looked great and got the team involved, Cedric just looked terrible. Also a big fan of Grida, he looked dynamic.

Froling could have a good shot if given enough minutes also.

Reply #708995 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Brian Bowen for mine. He looked very solid the other night.

Reply #709008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grida for mine plays both ends, Bowen and Naar chances though.

Reply #709011 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Bowen looks like what was expected of Ferguson but I did wonder if he'll maintain the form from his first outing."

I think he will as he's that bit older than Ferguson was (18 months) and seems to have a bit more confidence and willingness to back himself.

Reply #709014 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Is the fact that Bowen didn't go to college the only different factor between him and a college grad, as they've never been considered for ROY options before... I would have thought that being American would disqualify them? I also wouldn't put it past LK to find a way around that if he's good enough...

Grida, Naar and Froling all look like good contenders... A very strong rookie class this season and unlike recent ones, not a certainty for ROTY which is great...

Reply #709015 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The argument re: Bowen is he's not a restricted player, as he came in through the Next Stars program. Restricted players have always been ineligible.

However, you're not allowed an infinite number of Next Stars so it's still restricted in that sense, and I'd be very surprised if he's eligible.

Certainly a far cry from last year's rookie class, which consisted of Isaac Humphries.

Reply #709018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries won it but Moller should have.

Reply #709027 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

i'd like to be betting my house on my house on bogut....although i caint see his name in the field here?? .....

Reply #709032 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Probably because he's not a rookie.

Reply #709035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remind me of who the other Next Stars are apart from Bowen before I answer this question? Oh...

Reply #709037 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

wouldn't mind bowen here in adelaide

Reply #709046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:05 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754