Isaac
Years ago

United assistant Mitchell to be head coach of SE Melb team

Simon Mitchell who is set to be unveiled as the new head coach of the expansion South East Melbourne franchise that comes into the competition from 2019-20.
Part of this story

Topic #44058 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was the rumour after Sunday's game, so panned out. Good luck to Simon, good coach, should do well

Reply #709013 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Although I would have liked a familiar name like Gordie or Shawn Dennis get the role, it's also good to elevate an assistant coach to the highest levels in Australian basketball.

Reply #709019 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that it is good to have an asst promoted.

I'm very surprised that it isn't a higher profile past coach or even an asst with the profile like Neilson.

What is the deal with players?

Do they get any concessions or are they expected to be active players in the free agent market?

Reply #709023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have signed a contract after the announcement, you'd think you would have stay at contracted club, but if you signed a contract before the announcement and you are still under contract you would be a free agent I believe because the terms and conditions of the contract re the number of teams has changed. Wilson be interesting to see how this pans out.

Reply #709028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Made my decision easy.. Staying with United instead of moving to the SE Melb franchise..

Reply #709029 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

same guy pays him so its easy to break the contract

Reply #709034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's his background?

Reply #709048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was the position advertised?!

Reply #709050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GM Greer using all his experience in business and sports to get the HC!

Mitchell is a very interesting choice?!

Reply #709060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Due diligence????!!!!!

Reply #709078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Simon!

Reply #709105 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Is it wrong to hope that a former Magic player like Anstey or McKinnon got the head coaching gig, oh well

Reply #709130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey as coach? Good one. Dud when head coach of Tigers (still can't believe they even hired him).

Reply #709132 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

People need to understand who controls the new Melbourne team then all decisions will make sense.

Creek will be announced as a signing soon enough.

Reply #709142 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

A good story - Simon has come through the rank and file of state league basketball having known him when he was coaching Diamond Valley State Champ Men with no budget!

Great to see guys like himself not always in the High Performance side of things come up from state leagues, these stories aren't mentioned much - any other former state league coaches in the league???

Reply #709150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great coach, even better person. Congratulations to him!

Reply #709232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry's boy now in charge. Larry owns the new team make no mistake. What does Mitchell bring to the table? Does anyone actually know?

Reply #709284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the overseas dude is just a smoke screen for yet another LK team? Makes sense sadly.

Reply #709312 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, LK secretly controls every business owned by anyone who's ever been in the same room as him.

Reply #709315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it was really good to see that new owner in Melbourne at the press announcement wasn't it. What a non appointment the HC is too.
Greers experience as a business man / GM is outstanding too. Another one of LK's mates of course.

Reply #709344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't he coach Frankston Women in SEABL?
Not a great endorsement.

Reply #709417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't forget this was a guy that helped get Anstey fired. Not that Antsey was an amazing coach himself. but even in the article it 'lightly' touches on the fact he sat with the higher ups and worked his way into the coaching staff.

He was selected after a lot of coaches turned it down.

hope the same doesn't get done to him when times are tough.

http://downtownball.net/2014/10/winds-change-continue-blow-melbourne/

Reply #709474 | Report this post

Random  
Years ago

With him coaching Frankston SEABL women last season, the team only won one game.

Reply #709491 | Report this post

Random  
Years ago

Sorry I have been corrected 2 games from 20

Reply #709492 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Let's give him a chance, ey? Just because he wasn't successful in lower tiers, doesn't mean that he can't coach in the NBL... Look at Gaze... He wasn't successful with the Tigers and ... oh... well, nevermind... I'm sure he will do fine...

Reply #709524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rohan Shart appointed as Head of Basketball Operations. Now that is a good hiring.

Reply #709531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cannot wait until Mitchell is fired

Reply #709533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shortie can fill in very quickly. Spectres boy ;) Nuff said.

Reply #709537 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

I really don't know about Mitchell coaching record or abulity but this smells of mates hiring mates.

Reply #709822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the hell on any level does he get this gig. Surely a new franchise needs some experience and some charisma. He wasn't even United’s first assistant. SEN interview Friday was under whelming.

Reply #710114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was United first assistant, if he can be as good as Kelly at this early stage he'll be fine. It’s amazing how many experts we have here.

Reply #710115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what is Sim's cred in regards to NBL playing experience? Clearly Franga Women's is important ;) Helping Anstey get sacked is Brownie Points.

Reply #710137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm, experience and charisma. Maybe they should have waited for Gaze, he should be free next year.

Reply #710161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you don't know then ;)

Reply #710167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard today there after Mitch Creek

Reply #710168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did they advertise and who else did they interview. They want support and they give the job to a no namer.

Reply #710176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is a random comparison

Mick Downer, 10 years plus NBL experience and Assistant Coach to the Australian National Team.

Simon Mitchell, mates with vince crevilli

Sold

Reply #710208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was downer at the tigers when Greer played ?

If yes, then will get a job

If no, then no

Reply #710209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many NBL championships as an AC has downer won? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Mitchell has the 2008 championship with Tigers and last year's one with United.

Also if you've been paying attention you'd have noticed that downer is nowhere near Andre during the game, not exactly a ringing endorsement. Indicates that Boomers AC role is on shaky ground imo

Reply #710220 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Highly-rated assistant coach Mick Downer will also be the Head of High Performance and Development. Downer will not travel with the team all the time but will still be heavily involved in day-to-day coaching, opposition scouting, running the club's development program and be on the bench for all home games in a bolstered overall role.
- Courier Mail 18 May 2018.

Reply #710254 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:47 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754