Anonymous
Years ago

Has the Melbourne United rebrand been successful

Has the United rebranding been a success? And I don't mean from an on court results perspective, but from A "uniting the supporters" angle.

I understand the reason for the rebrand was because the tigers were a hated club at junior level and hence struggled to get the whole cuts to support at NBL level.

So, a few years on, is the Melbourne United club attracting supporters from all of Melbourne's "cliques"?

Topic #44069 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the tigers

Reply #709257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Judging by the number of people attending games it has been a massive success. Tigers got embarrassing crowds considering they were the only team in town and that town is supposedly the sporting capital of the world. Couldn't even fill the little netball centre.
Yes there are always stubborn oldies who are attached to the old Tigers nickname or whatever but the huge number of fans gained make the few bitter old stubborn ones seem insignificant.

Reply #709259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.

The folks who keep calling the Tigers back don't understand that because of the junior association having the same name, you either play for them or hate them, which is a pretty big problem.

Im not th only one who can say they'll probably support the new Melbourne franchise, but not if they're the Tigers.

Reply #709273 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Judging by the number of people attending games it has been a massive success. Tigers got embarrassing crowds considering they were the only team in town and that town is supposedly the sporting capital of the world. Couldn't even fill the little netball centre."

By their last season as Tigers they were getting pretty decent crowds at Hisense. Changing names has helped a bit, but really the big difference has been the continued improvement in promotion and community engagement under LK's ownership.

Reply #709275 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Their last regular season game ever as the Tigers was Goulding's 50-point game in front of a sold-out Hisense Arena.

Since we'll never know how well they would have done as the Tigers, given they were clearly on the start of an upswing, it's impossible to say how much the rebranding has helped.

When did LK come on board?

Reply #709278 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Team valued at $10 million and selling out gold and silver memberships. Pretty clear they've done way better than the Tigers brand could.

Reply #709279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been trying to buy box seats and most are sold out

Reply #709290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team valued at $10mill because LK said so. Bullets valued at $5mill. How is a dud team worth $5mill. Immediately devalues the United IMo.

Reply #709298 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hard to say what the Tigers brand could have achieved (it reached great heights in the 90s) as the name was changed as things were on the upswing. Their last season the crowds at Hisense were pretty impressive and that was just the start of their improved marketing.

I have no doubt the biggest difference has been management, not the brand change, but I imagine the brand change has helped somewhat in gaining access to more associations.

Reply #709301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Team valued at $10mill because LK said so. "

The new buyer acknowledged that was the valuation.

Reply #709304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes there are always stubborn oldies who are attached to the old Tigers nickname or whatever but the huge number of fans gained make the few bitter old stubborn ones seem insignificant."

They sure are old. I can't believe the once traveling bum Cram is now married!

Reply #709307 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

For the tactic of forming a closer relationship with the associations it would obviously have helped.

For mine though, the idea that anyone who didn't play for the Tigers hates them is faulty. Plenty of people don't get anywhere near rep ball but still love hoops. I had plenty of mates who played for high profile rep ball clubs and yet loved the Tigers.

That isn't to say there arent a lot of people who hate the Tigers, but why not use that to form a second side to unite against a common enemy, rather than take out that team that had that passion (both for and against).

Ad others have noted above, LK starter pumping the money in the last year or 2 of the Tigers and there was an upswing in crowds. Would they have reached the same level as they have now without the name change? Maybe not, but whenever LK starts pullig back on the cash (whenever that happens to be, I'm not saying its soon) the crowds will drop again and the net result will likely be a marginal gain at best.

I don't personally believe that marginal gain was worth the selling out of precious league history.

Reply #709314 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United crowds have continued the upwards trajectory that started when they were still the Tigers.

Could the Tigers have continued on the same trajectory and achieved the same off court success, if LK had been pouring the same resources into promoting them? That's the question.

Reply #709333 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I played rep ball for 10 years.

In the Under 16s I played Championship division of the VJBL and we finished 10th in the state. The Melbourne Tigers were one of the top teams and beat us convincingly.

That was the same year I became a Melbourne Tigers NBL member.

Having said that, I came from a mid tier club who, while we regularly fielded teams in Championship division we rarely were one of the top teams. So we didn't consider Melbourne Tigers are major rival- that would've been the closest club to us location wise.

I suspect that it was the massive, super successful Eastern suburbs clubs who might see the Tigers as rivals because their best teams in each age division were always competing against Tigers at the top of Championship division- Dandenong, Nunawading, Knox.

How much of a difference did that really make? How much was that ultimately hold the Tigers back from growing their NBL brand? I'm not sure.

Reply #709334 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The guys I used to go to games with played for Rangers

Reply #709335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was a Knox player and loved the Tigers. I don't think everyone just pinned the NBL entity to the junior entity.

Reply #709406 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Obviously it depends on the person.

The Tigers had a reputation for being poachers. Plenty of people disliked them for raiding the talent stocks of mid-tier suburban clubs.

But again, exactly how widespread that feeling was, and exactly how much difference it made to- for example, coaching clinics, advertising the Tigers in each stadium, etc- is a matter of conjecture.

Reply #709467 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754