PeterJohn
Years ago

Europcar referee review initiative

I just spotted this item on the NBL web page: http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/europcar-referee-review-round-1

It's a series of videos of plays from the first round of games, with accompanying description of the sequence of play, the rule interpretation and whether the refs got it right or wrong at the time.

Apparently it's intended to be done each week. It looks like the NBL has heard the complaints about reffing quality and are trying to do a couple of things - educate fans about how the game's being called and show that they have a ref review process in place.

I think it also will make refs more aware that if they stuff up seriously then they may well end up on the NBL front page for everyone to see them muck up.

I think it's a constructive way to try to improve both the reffing and the reputation of the refs.

FWIW, they called out one incorrect call in this week's review - goal tend that was called but shouldn't have been.

Topic #44070 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If any referee at the elite level is worried about being highlighted in this initiative shouldn't be at the NBL level.

Reply #709289 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Like most things on the NBL website, that page won't load for me.

Reply #709292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems unsustainable. How are they going to find multiple questionable calls in the NBL each week?

Reply #709294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doesn't work for me in 2 browsers. NBL fai again. Maybe Kestleman needs to employ people that know how the Interwebbie actually works.

Reply #709296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How are they going to find multiple questionable calls in the NBL each week?"

I'm sure it will be very difficult with the standard of refs in the league.

Reply #709323 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

What referee errors
They are always correct-- Just ask one

Reply #709437 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754