Crowd attendances

Looking at some of the figures for the matches so far and they are pretty poor
Between 3 and 5000 for most games.
Even Kings v breakers poor 3000
Seems 2 teams keeping crowd figures up

Topic #44103 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Perth and Adelaide were good crowds, should be a decent crowd in Cairns today for their home opener as well.

Reply #710096 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

5600 in NZ according to the NBL. What 3000 figure did you see?

Crowds have been a little flat though overall.

Reply #710099 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The average crowd for this round will be over 7000. The highest average crowd for a season in NBL history was 6400, last year. Crowds are not flat, in fact we are getting end-of-season crowds at the start of the season, when numbers are usually lower.

Reply #710116 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

True, however I think there are some games where a bigger crowd was expected:

NZs first 2 games have been underwhelming considering they are under new ownership, have assembled a decent team (they looked good against Phoenix) and game 2 was against the Kings. Kings away games should be sold out, so 5100 and 5600 is a bit flat IMO.

Melbourne v Adelaide GF rematch drew 7700. Thats a good number for the NBL, but being a Sunday afternoon in Melbourne and a GF rematch this early in the season should have gotten over 8000. That crowd today was 700 less than their season avg last year.

Kings season opener - despite the massive hype, i think it would be fair to expect an unusually massive crowd. 13-15000 would have been realistic. 10700 is great but also a bit dissapointing considering the hype.

6600 in Adleiad6e laat night but in all honesty could have been 7000 since Bogut and Randle were in the building! A good crowd yes, but not a great one.

Still, its very early so hopefully the usual trend of attendances going up as the season goes on continues.

Reply #710130 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

During the broadcast on Friday night the commentators said the crowd in Adelaide was 7,500.

Reply #710134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hell I have decided on crowd figures in NBL and SEABL over the years.... There is no exact science and every year the crowd figures go up. Pick a number... that's it.

Reply #710136 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Sell out in Cairns

Reply #710139 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

But how much of these numbers are total BS?

The claimed attendance for Perth is 11,599.
For that to be true they must have counted all the flying pigs.

The point has been made that this number is based on ticket sales. Ie Members plus casual sales.
I imagine most casual buys get used, but there were clearly a lot of member seats empty.

The Sunday afternoon games are NEVER as well attended on average. That's just a fact of life. The problem is that midday and arvo games now make up the majority.

Reply #710145 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"NZs first 2 games have been underwhelming considering they are under new ownership, have assembled a decent team."

They've had two crowds over 5000 which they didn't achieve until round nine last year. I don't know the new roster is a big drawcard either, less locals and some well-known names gone from a reliable playoff team.

Now they've got a rookie coach and an unbalanced line-up that could work and make playoffs or could finish bottom. Most would say a downgrade from recent years. So far two big losses at home suggests there's plenty of work to be done at the least.

Reply #710148 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The point has been made that this number is based on ticket sales. Ie Members plus casual sales."

But if that's the method they've used every year (I don't know whether they do, but a lot of sports do) it makes the comparison with previous years valid.

Reply #710149 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

yes, it's interesting to see the method for published crowd numbers not changing, although the technology at the door allows more accurate attendances to be counted. e.g., ticket/membership card scanning at entry.

If I was stadium management or team management I'd be looking at the bums-on-seats numbers. If my members aren't using their tickets, I'd need to know, so I could manage the risk of non renewal next season.

Reply #710153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11,599 is definitely stretched for cats-bullets game - I'd say between 9,500 and 10,000. Still good crowd for 12pm on Saturday, despite all the bs from whinging fans

Reply #710163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd figures are made up on the night trust me.

Reply #710166 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't see the problem. It's the second round of the season and crowd numbers are already near where they are nearing the playoffs.

Reply #710200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

both rounds have been bumped up by Perth home games

Reply #710205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why was there no Saturday night game, gave a free kick to the A-league

Reply #710206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"both rounds have been bumped up by Perth home games"

I reckon there will be about 14 of the 18 rounds with a Perth home game, so that's going to be pretty common.

Reply #710224 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

It is possible to have a sell out and zero attendance. Spruiking attendance based on ticket sales is an acceptable industry tactic.

The Tour Down Under don't actually count the attendance. They count the number of people over a 100m distance and then multiply that by the event distance to get an attendee figure.

Reply #710251 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Counting tickets sold and selling that as "attendance" is standard practice and there's no reason the NBL should stop reporting those as their official figures.

From a member engagement and retention point of view though, you would hope the clubs do have access to figures which show the actual number of members who scan in.

I know the A League do, as the Victory have a promotion where you get certain rewards for attending games which is targeted specifically at members. This shows they're trying to get their members to actually turn up, rather than just buy the ticket.

Reply #710293 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Put it this way, if I were a paid member & quizzed as to why I did't attend, I'd massively have to restrain myself from sending the Team Manager an arse rocket.
The Wildcats did, in fact, send an email to all non-attending members after the first game with a survey asking why they stayed home.

Not sure why you think that's a team manager thing though.

Reply #710294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram that's actually incorrect.

Attendance is officially the people in the building only.

Clubs that claim tickets sold as attendance are simply lying.

Reply #710297 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:19 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754