Shayno
Years ago

Melb vs Adel backcourt debate

Can someone please clear this up on why on the last inbound play, that the pass went from front court to back court, how this was not a violation?

There was a foul leading to the inbound pass but no sign of a timeout.

Is this a new Fiba rule?

Topic #44106 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rule has not changed

Reply #710129 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I must admit I didn't notice this, but maybe because you can do it in the NBA (at least 3 years?) that maybe this has been implemented in NBL as well?

Reply #710154 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Reading the rules it says a team can nominate to collect possession in the back court but have to notify the refs. So If that was the case and Vickerman elected to the refs then the United player was in the wrong position in the first place and maybe that's why the backcourt pass was allowed. The ref should of placed the United player in the back court to begin with.

Reply #710165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really need a separate thread since this was covered in the game thread? Man whingers gonna whinge.

Reply #710171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Whingers gonna whinge" nah, just expect in a pro league that the basics of the rules are followed.

Reply #710175 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

'Really need a separate thread since this was covered in the game thread?"

Not covered in game thread, I thought it was a violation, and I have not found an explanation as to why it was not in this case.
Not whining, just questioning the rule application..

and I AM getting tired of gutless anons making aggressive troll posts. GO get a life, of learn how to be better in the one you have. XOXO

Ps - I would really like an explaination from someone who is up to date.

Reply #710178 | Report this post

Cbj  
Years ago

If you watch Melbourne's press conference. Vickerman states it was a bad call.

Reply #710179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a surprise. Refs all about themselves all game but don't know the rules in the clutch. Adelaide screwed.

Reply #710180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foul front court, no time out (actually irrelevant). Ball inbounded front court taken back court. Simple violation. Referee unfortunately made a mistake. It is as simple and as unfortunate as that.

Reply #710184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching over again, definitely a backcourt violation and was wondering why no one on commentary notice, maybe dumb loud mouth ex-footballer who then started going on about little things changing the ball game knows the rules, although then again the referees don't either.

Reply #710188 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

The thing that confused me is that the player catches the ball in the front court then proceeded to dribble into the back court and then evades the foul and then time expired.

People makes mistakes that is true but for 3 umpires and Joey wright not pick it up or complain.

Just a strange ending

Reply #710190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was surprised Joey and the 36ers players weren't going absolutely nuts over it

Reply #710193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has a $1500 and 1 game suspension hanging above his head if he breaches the NBL code of conduct that the NBL came up with in September. So if he complains he'll probably be sentenced immediately.

Reply #710194 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

a back court violation is a simple and as devastating as a rugby or NFL player being allowed to go out of bounds and come back in without anything called.

that the commentators said nothing is also very very sad.

Reply #710197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shayno if you're going to comment get it right. Ware caught it in the backcourt

Reply #710204 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

It obviously looked incredibly suss but no one mentioned anything about it. Adelaide's biggest fan Homicide didn't mention anything and none of the players or Joey reacted so maybe there is a new rule about that.
Interesting to see if that happens again what the call would be.

Reply #710244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no new rule it is just a howler of a miss.

Reply #710253 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"none of the players or Joey reacted"

DJ reacted from memory

Reply #710258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brunson no he doesn't

Reply #710259 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL have acknowledged it:

As part of its review of round two games, the NBL also found a referee made an error in a play involving Melbourne's DJ Kennedy with 4.5 seconds remaining in the game.

Kennedy passed the ball from his team's front court to Casper Ware in the back court in violation of FIBA rules and should have been penalised.

Reply #710334 | Report this post

Three to make two  
Years ago

Is this it? Art 30 of 2018 FIBA rules:

A team in control of a live ball in the frontcourt has caused the ball to be illegally returned to its backcourt, if a player of that team is the last to touch the ball in his frontcourt and the ball is then first touched by a player of that team:
• Who has part of his body in contact with the backcourt, or
• After the ball has touched the backcourt of that team.
This restriction applies to all situations in a team's frontcourt, including throw-ins. However, it does not apply to a player who jumps from his frontcourt, establishes new team control while still airborne and then lands with the ball in his team's backcourt.

Note: "including throw-ins"

So it was a violation, missed by refs and commentators?

Reply #710337 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Roy Ward:

Melbourne import DJ Kennedy threw a pass to guard Casper Ware that went from the front-court into the back-court and the NBL confirmed on Monday the play should have been called a violation and Adelaide given the ball with 4.5 seconds to play and the chance to force overtime.

Instead Melbourne ran out the clock and claimed a 75-72 win. The NBL did not state what would happen to the referees in question and whether they would officiate in this weekend's round three games.

Reply #710374 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL did not state what would happen to the referees in question
Who were they, does anyone know?

Reply #710375 | Report this post

Three to make two  
Years ago

From the NBL box scores:

Commisioner: Craig Dullard
Referees: Michael Aylen Jon Chapman Ryan Jones

Reply #710376 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

Yeah my bad but still back court none the less.

And i wont start anymore topics...lesson learnt

Reply #710385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was also a travel Melbourne got away with in the second quarter. These refs should be suspended without pay for a month.

Reply #710389 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Hell you are funny anon, must of spent hours thinking that one up.
Last play a simple glaring rule a u-10 umpire would pick up was missed in NBL .
Think worthy of frustration to any team .

Reply #710442 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jon Chapman was the ref nearest the action. I'm told he's a nice fella but he makes a lot of bad bungles. If there's a howler, good chance it is either he or Chris Reid, who called the foul on David Andersen in Cairns on Sunday when DA was on the other side of the Great Barrier Reef to Trimble.

Reply #710449 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:31 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754