Anonymous
Years ago

Bogut: stop playing music on every possession

Bogut has tweeted that he wishes music wasn't played non stop in every possession and said that a basketball game isn't a night club.

I'd have to agree and whilst I don't mind a bit of music/tunes, they shouldn't be playing full length rock tunes at a very loud volume.

How about more natural noise like crowds chanting defence or the live band playing?

Topic #44118 | Report this topic

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I like the music. How is chanting defense creating a vibe? I say if you're going to remove the music create entertaining crowd chants like they have in soccer. But there does need to be some sort of noise.

Reply #710572 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

Too much and too loud at most venues. I like to talk to the person next to me without getting a sore neck. Some music is fine. And the guy getting everyone to stand up about 10 times per game pissed me off the to point where I can't be bothered going any more.

Reply #710576 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gotta get back to basics.

Reply #710584 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

What's the name of that Latin sounding instrumental that's played at Hawks games?

Reply #710587 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Would love to see a no lyrics ruling during play I find that the worst part. In time outs and breaks go your hardest.

Reply #710591 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Melbourne Arena it's like a night club

Reply #710593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He just played at the breakers. Their entertainment is woeful this year.

He is just saying what everyone else in the stadium is thinking.

Reply #710595 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Agree, can't here any plays being called.

Reply #710600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bogut has tweeted"

I stopped reading here.

Reply #710601 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Basketball is not a game for grandpas.

Bogut and whining boomers need to move with the times.

We should be cranking more hip-hop and grime at games.

Or maybe a sick drop as somebody gets postered.

Reply #710605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats have been banging some Pendulum during the dunk teams spot.

Reply #710606 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Unfortunately the Wildcats have taken to using DJs, who usually have some great name like "DJ Wang Chubby."
As far as I can figure out, the requirement for a DJ is the ability to make the simple task of playing music seem extremely difficult, which they accomplish by cranking the volume to stupid levels and playing the most irrelevant tunes possible.

Music is meant to enhance the experience, but it is now having the opposite effect. It used to mean something when 10,000 fans would chant, but now that is drowned out by the artificial noise.
Announcer has to scream, and I still can't hear much of what he says.

Reply #710610 | Report this post

Years ago

DJ Cornflake has been the DJ for cats for last couple of years. But I think he may have moved on this year as the quality has dropped in the first 2 games. Alot of what they do is ruled by head office though and not by the DJs themselves. They don't get much of a say in what to do.

Reply #710613 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I'm all for music being played at times, but team organisers need to be selective. Times of silence can actually help as they can act as contrast. Give the crowd opportunities to create chants and noise of their own. Have go-to tracks for specific situations, for example when a team is on a run, that have a beat that the crowd can clap along to. I recall the 36ers and Tigers used to do this well back in the day. I totally agree with Bogut that there should be no set-and-forget playlists and it shouldn't run all game. Trashy generic nightclub music doesn't work well, it cheapens the product.

Reply #710614 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Agree there's too much music and its too loud. Then the court announcer is too annoying. Sometimes there's far too much going on at the game and believe me it has put people off to the point of not going anymore.

Not to say get rid of it completely. The game still needs music and entertainment but sometimes feels like its too much.

Reply #710615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you Australianise a basketball experience?

Reply #710616 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Would love to see a no lyrics ruling during play I find that the worst part.
Seems a bit simplistic. "We Will Rock You" is pretty standard, for example. The Breakers copped a lot of flak for dropping "Can You Feel It" from the start of the third quarter in their home opener.

Reply #710617 | Report this post

Years ago

Think we can all agree the worst thing is the "Hungry Jacks" chant that I believe adelaide started if I'm not mistaken. I'd take anything over that stupid chant.

Reply #710623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most Adelaide fans hate that too don't worry

Reply #710624 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I should clarify i have no problem with a chanting chorus. Mainly the verse they play after the chorus for some reason... However isnt it the crowd supposed to be doing the chanting anyway?

Reply #710629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wildcats DJs only play music selected and approved by the wildcats head office.

That said office has a "no drake" rule for some reason. Now whether you like his music or not, the guy is the number one artist in the world, so people do like his music. But they'd rather play hair metal from the 70s and 80s to appease the baby boomers in the crowd.

Thank god Cornflake is gone though. Guy was terrible.

Reply #710641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comments make sense for crowds like Perth and Adelaide with the overly passionate fans but ever been to a game in Melbourne? you can hear a pin drop over that crowd

Reply #710643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But they'd rather play hair metal from the 70s and 80s to appease the baby boomers in the crowd."

They probably know their demographics quite well then.

Reply #710645 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I agree with rjd that you need balance. I thought the Tigers used to do this well.

In fact I remember the court announcer making fun of how much music the Dragons used to play. He now is obviously with United who play music constantly, which shows how little his opinion is valued.

Reply #710647 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Seriously,Is music all Bogut can worry about at 1-2?
A fair percentage of the crowd are kids,corporates or newbies on a night out,not crusted on Bball diehards.

"Free The Music".............

Reply #710652 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I agree with rjd - I'm a fan who likes to enjoy the game and think about what's happening every now and then. I don't need constant stimulation or a barrage of distraction.

Reply #710654 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The wildcats DJs only play music selected and approved by the wildcats head office.
That said office has a "no drake" rule for some reason.

I disagree with a few things the Wildcats do, music-wise, but I'm right behind them on that one.

Reply #710663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL are slow learners - you don't play tracks with lyrics in them. Play the melody only. and Wildcats thinking rock suits basketball is shocking and they never learn.

Reply #710673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wildcats thinking rock suits basketball is shocking and they never learn."

The team that gets the biggest attendances should learn what, exactly?

Reply #710682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with bogut 100% on this

Reply #710686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the Knicks played their first half of a game without music last season with the reason being to enjoy basketball in its purest form we still had everyone in tears about that, too.

Bogut has been whinging since his junior rep days, good to see he's consistent!

Reply #710687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Knicks"
"Purest form"

No.

Reply #710693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can he go a day without complaining about something. It's better than silence and creates an atmosphere

Reply #710703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't mind music but just turn down the volume a little and don't play it for continuous stretches such that you hear a whole song.

Reply #710708 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Funny how there have been complaints about music for years now, but as soon as Bogut says something it's all perfectly fine and he needs to stop whining.

Reply #710710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've stopped going to games because the music is too loud and also gets in the way of hearing the game.

It’s not a good game experience.

And it’s becoming unwatchable on TV as well.

Reply #710713 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

No Drake policy = another reason to hate the Wildcats.

They may as well hand out adult diapers.

Reply #710725 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I remember as far back as the James Ennis season and how sections of the Wildcats crowd would start a "let's go Wildcats" chant and more and more would join in until the DJ went with the crowd and what they want... now it's too loud and drowns out all chants... I hardly recall defence chants at the Wildcats games this season and the ones there have been have been bleh due to the margins.

Let's be fair the DJ should more than anything else do the CHARGE and Hit the road Jack/Nanana hey hey hey goodbye music when a player fouls out but if the player is off court before they play that then it loses what is a unique component to going to a basketball game.

The dancers/cheerleaders should have music and the contests during time outs as well but for the most part music just makes you lose focus on the wonderful things at a basketball game ie, the actual game, antics of a mascot, coach going right off, cameraman approaching your area etc

Reply #711032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754