NBL imports on the hot seat

Stephen Holt, Bullets
Alonzo Gee, Bullets
Devon Hall, Taipans
Cedric Jackson, Hawks
Armani Moore, Breakers
David Wear, Kings

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/imports-feeling-the-heat-after-round-2

NZB have a lot on their plate at the moment with the disappointing play of Moore & Patrick Richard and Shawn Long doesn't look that great either.

Topic #44121 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It's only Round 3.

Why would the NBL do an article so early?

Reply #710689 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Unfortunate to see a former MVP on that list.
Brisbane's imports are shocking.
Didn't realise Hall wasn't doing well must be blinded by the stellar play of Trimble.

Reply #710691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit unprofessional for the league to be publishing articles like this IMO.
tabloid style

Reply #710696 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Wear for sure.

Reply #710699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wish I could read the article but nbl site doesn't work on iphone

Reply #710700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shawn long looks good to me! You're reaching mate. They need to move Armani Moore, and get another scorer in the backcourt with Webster to take some of the double team pressure off.

Reply #710701 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

The David Wear and Stephen Holt signings just didnt make sense no surprise they're struggling.

Reply #710702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Remove Armani Moore and get another scorer"

Moron

Reply #710704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't wear play well in his most recent game?

Reply #710707 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wear hit some open jumpers. Improvement for sure, but still think he's a bad fit.

AGree with anon above too - I don't think articles like this should go on the official NBL site.

Reply #710709 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Yeah tacky that the league is buying into that bullshit.

I would have said Wear before the NZ game but he bought himself some time. Looks like hed be a low maintenance guy too which helps.

Havnt seen Holts numbers but you'd think he'd be more aggressive this year considering how passive he was last year.

I think Richard has class, differently keep him and Gee is obviously out of shape.

You can't come to Australia 5-10kg over your optimal playing weight anymore and expect to have success.

Reply #710714 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

The articles overlooks that many of these players are clearly budget signings, and/or are role players.
No point bagging Cedric, who is doing an ok job running the point, unless you think they can afford somebody better.

The criticism of Holt also makes no sense. The article points out that he's playing a bench role, competing for minutes with Caddee and Gibson, then labels him a waste of an import spot?

Reply #710716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They seriously didn't name Egwu as well?

Reply #710719 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Egwu's short-term contract with Brisbane has finished and he is heading to a gig in Malaysia I think.

Reply #710720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL bagging themselves. WOW.

Reply #710721 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The fact this article is generating quite a bit of discussion on social media shows exactly why the NBL produces it. Once media shows enough interest to generate this sort of content themselves the league would step back from it, but hoops isn't at that stage yet.

Reply #710722 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Egwu is an injury replacement and it is understood that has finished.

Reply #710723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This article is like school in January. NO CLASS

Reply #710724 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Wear isn't first gone which I don't think he will be then I'm going with Gee for first sacked.

Reply #710731 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Good point paul. As poor form as it appears to bag your own players and potentially discourage imports from signing here, they still need to produce this type of content because the media isnt yet. They still need to provide a service to the fans that want to read about this type of stuff that you cant get anywhere.

So far majority of media interest so far is mainly about Bogut and not much else.

Reply #710733 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Actually some fair points above about bagging & discouraging imports.

Different if the guys being discussed were the super stars on big bucks, but they're not.

Can you imagine the conversation: " Look we know you're not at your peak, but you know the league, and whilst we can't offer you much, it will be more than playing for BF in the G-League.
Oh, and by the way, the league will poor shit on you, criticise you for not scoring 20 points a game, and blame you when we lose.
By the time the NBL is finished with you, the only offers you'll be fielding is if your old high school needs a janitor."

Reply #710736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is totally fine the league produce something like this in the interrim. Long term they may look to set up a small "NBL media" to distance themselves from this. But you are stupid if you don't realise it is good for the league in the absence of any other media outlets really producing this sort of content.

Reply #710746 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Coming from the NBL itself is pretty bush league... I'd like to see the actual stats on the traffic of the article but I seriously doubt if it's anyone other than NBL hardcores talking about it and that's not nearly enough to offset the lack of professionalism that it gives off...

Reply #710750 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I understand the league's need to get content out there, but this is pretty low class.

The Bullets are a fully league owned team are they not? So the NBL are effectively publishing content that publicly questions some of their own employees.

Reply #710758 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Yeah, I don't think these articles are necessary. There are other fan-based sites that will happily pontificate over who sucks and who doesn't so there's no need for the NBL to do it to their own employees. Imagine being one of those guys and actually reading that article. You're trying to make your new job work out, you know you're not doing all too well just yet, and the bloody league itself drops a hit piece on you. It doesn't exactly scream of a place that you're going to promote to other imports. I'm all for Homicide talking shit on broadcast, and all for Shane Heal talking about who needs to step up, but for the league itself to commission a written piece specifically targeting imports seems to be beyond the pale.

Reply #710761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with it since the mainstream fake news media continue to blacklist NBL. While not ideal this is the substitute we needed. Pressure creates diamonds.

Reply #710763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOCK HER UP!!!

Reply #710764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL still does its own content for the website and turns over more than half a billion dollars a year so if that is bush league then the NBL would be happy to be bush league too

Reply #710770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The AFL still does its own content for the website"

Does the AFL target people for potential contact termination in that content?

Reply #710772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Especially coaches. Just recently it was trade time and leading up to that there was plenty of speculation about which players wouldn't have a job next season. There is not an equivalent to imports in the AFL but there are always players who are discussed in terms of dropping them from the main team or being past their prime and should be cut from the team to make room for someone younger.

Reply #710774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Editorial content is going to happen. Fans are interested in that stuff. As long as it is not being written or biased by the people who run the league I don't see it as a conflict of interest.

Reply #710775 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

AFAIK the only player the league employs is Brian Bowen, so as long as they're not running articles about him being in the hot seat I don't see an issue. Imports being replaced is a very real part of professional basketball, if an import isn't aware of that he needs a new agent!

I'm really like the NBL's comms style of embracing good and bad, generating talk and being the driver of a lot of their own news, it's a mature approach that allows them to generate more content that people find of interest, one way of the other.

Reply #710778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it too. People will tune out straight away if all the articles are just positive spin because there is no credibility in that. Keep it real and I will keep reading.

Reply #710786 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Once this all dies down we here on hoops can continue on our merry way with our sack Wear, Deleon or Gee threads.
Imports will always come under heavy scrutiny no matter what.

Reply #710793 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I just read the article. It's more constructive and positive than the comments above led me to expect. Most of the player assessments were suggesting the players should have more time to find their games or the coaches should get them more involved in the team structures.

The reference to Moore maybe being under pressure lasting was placed in the context of new owners wanting a championship, which could make them quick to pull the trigger. A reasonable assessment of the context at the Breakers, I would have thought.

I don't see a problem with the NBL paying someone to write balanced articles like this and then choosing to publish them on the NBL site. As noted above, it's much less critical or one sided than articles regularly published on the AFL site, and it generates topics for social media to debate.

Reply #710853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul

I agree

Reply #710903 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

paul - in your experience how much do you think imports get in the Japanese league.

Watched a (pitiful) game here in a Tokyo last night. final score was 62-61.

I saw Ryan Kelly and Rob Sacre playing for Shibuya.

Made me think why those guys arent further south in the NBL as 3rd imports. Do they get paid better in Japan we reckon?

Reply #711010 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Ryan Kelly is shit

Reply #711011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Insightful commentary Benno, maybe you can write the articles for the nbl now.

Reply #711017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Japan pays imports way more than NBL.

Reply #711024 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It depends on the club, player etc, but certainly I've heard of some good money over there.

That league is where the NBL was 25+ years ago, with all the money going to imports, whereas now good Aussies get a lot of the big money. You have to be a Randle/Cotton etc level player to get really big money here, whereas the 3rd import guys you mention would possibly be the budget signings here, as opposed to good coin in Japan.

Rick Rickert set up over there at the end of his career and got himself a nice retirement next egg, as did Chris Williams in Korea. He could have kept working really hard for the big coin in Europe but chose to get paid at a lower level without as much stress.

Reply #711034 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Maybe NBL could do an article on which commentator will be the first to get the sack?

Reply #711176 | Report this post

No  
Years ago

No article needed. Paige will be the first to go

Reply #711179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"2 hard 2 guard" is 2 hard too watch. Someone get this guy a plane ticket

Reply #711212 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Don't worry, after another 2 or 3 bad performances in a row DeLeon will have 28 points on 8/14 contested 3s and buy himself 6 more games to do the same again.

Reply #711215 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

DeLeon leads Adelaide in +/- so far this season, he won't be going anywhere for a while yet.

Cairns should have put a big gap in this one, Adelaide couldn't throw a beach ball in the ocean early, Taipans doing a good job of disrupting them but didn't capitalise at the other end.

Reply #711217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being an import and the team leader in plus/minus is not an accurate way of assessing your value.

Reply #711219 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Once the sample size gets big enough it's one of the best ways to assess value, it's all about getting ahead on the scoreboard after all. He's +8 in a tied ball game at 3/4 time tonight.

Reply #711224 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Once the sample size gets big enough it's one of the best ways to assess value
You'd need a sample over several years to eliminate the noise.

Reply #711242 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wouldn't need to eliminate the noise. As a coach you take the plus-minus and investigate the why, as you do with all stats. But I can't see any competent coach cutting the guy who clearly leads his team's plus-minus unless there were off-court issues.

Reply #711246 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

DeLeon had a stinker shooting the ball tonight.

But he was responsible for putting the ball back in the Sixers hands on at least 8 occasions - 3 steals, two charges, and at least 3+ forced turnovers. He was a beast defensively.

Reply #711251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I used to detest DeLeon's game at the Hawks but he is really useful in Adelaide. Seems very keen to contribute defensively.

Reply #711261 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:15 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754