Anonymous
Years ago

Brisbane bullets release Alonzo gee

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/brisbane-bullets-to-release-us-import-alonzo-gee-as-he-battles-personal-issues/news-story/28a00c985361b41eed1adc45f3f11e4d

Topic #44144 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

Of more interest for me is that the article was originally published with a footnote saying AC Mick Downer was moving on to NZ after this season.

This remark has since been removed.

Reply #711353 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, Bullets released a statement about it, signed to coach Cantebury in the NZNBL.

http://www.brisbanebullets.com.au/news/article/brisbane-bullets-farewell-mick-downer

Reply #711357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The personal reasons are often a good way to release a player without it looking bad on their resume.

Reply #711386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what happened to the Breakers first import Center I forgot his name, that he left for family reasons,and now is playing in japan or china

Reply #711390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee is that bad he wouldn't get a game in Indonesia.

Reply #711398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee was out of shape and a bum! Only signed because he had NBA on his resume

Reply #711399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame you didn't tell us earlier.

Reply #711431 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I predicted Gee would be the first player cut after the Blitz.

Reply #711435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamar Patterson as a replacement

Reply #711438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on ya Zodiac. No one really cares btw.

Reply #711439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was apparent in the Blitz that Gee was outta shape!

Another strike on the Lemanis recruiting resume!

Reply #711466 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Well they blew the timing on that.
It's already been reported that his replacement is on the way.

Maybe the NBL should look at providing psychologists to assist all these imports with personal issues.
It clearly effects their game, because all the guys with personal issues play really shite.

Reply #711472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis failed with McCarron again after he returned from a brief Euro stint.

Macca being a local boy was genuinely interested in playing for the Bullets (again).

Was offered the $ Te Rangi was eventually given and Lemanis couldn't offer a clear cut role on the team given the hodge podge that had already been signed. So, off to Melbourne.

Can not wait for a new coach.

Reply #711491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always said Lemanis isn't great. The same thing will happen when Gleeson moves away from Perth.

Reply #711539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does Lemanis have a job?

Reply #711554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hoping Lemanis isn’t coach for our next Olympic run.

Reply #711556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same, such a golden window we have and are risking it big time with him at the helm. :(

Reply #711573 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Say what you want but I'm really disappointed that we never got to see his best in the NBL but I got to see him live last week... I just won't go as far as to say I seen him play as he was non existent in Perth

Reply #711575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patterson looks decent

Reply #711594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to back wooden spoons since the Bullets returned. In any other league in any other sport a coach would of been sacked years ago...why do Brisbane persist with him and why does Australia?

Reply #711608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia persists with him because he's done an outstanding job with the Boomers, particularly offensively. The Rio team averaged the third most assists of any team in Olympic or WC history, with the two above them both being US teams.

Brisbane persist with him because building a club from the ground up is tough. Check out the win-loss against top 4 teams for expansion/returning teams in their first two years:

Brisbane 9-23
Sydney 4-22
Gold Coast 2-19
South 2-21
Singapore 3-19
Hunter 4-20
New Zealand 3-19
Cairns 1-22

Reply #711615 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

^^ that was me.

Reply #711616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has the best Boomers squad of all time making him look good. Lookmat what happens when he doesn't have that - the Bullets.

Reply #711620 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What happens is he does better than any other new team against good teams? He must be terrible.

Reply #711631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? There have been expansion teams who finished higher than the wooden spoon.

Reply #711637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, nothing escaping the fact that his recruiting has been terrible and the Bullets are suffering due to same.

He could've made wiser choices but didn’t. He’s sending the team to their death.

Reply #711654 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Those numbers don't lie, they are clearly better than other new teams against good teams. The challenge for new teams now is you only really play against good teams, there aren't bunnies like there used to be.

Yes, they could have done some things better, but the reality is they are a new team and are doing reasonably well by that regard. Thankfully, Brisbane is being run by a GM who has been through this before, he understands it takes time.

Had NZ listened to ignorant fans in the early years they would have missed out, just like Richmond with Hardwick. There is a good reason clubs aren't run by fans.

Reply #711664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane doesn't have 'time’, if 1,000 in attendance on Thursday night is anything to go by.

GM Clark has been just Sam poor. Astounding he is in the job still.

Reply #711694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The GM has just recycled trash has been NBL players both local and imports. Worst GM in the league.

Reply #711697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon, Bairstow, Hodgson, Cadee are not has beens, they are quality players. If they get their imports right, look out.

Reply #711729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson and Cadee are not quality players. My god.

Reply #711823 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cadee a quality player lol.

Reply #711826 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Gliddon, Bairstow, Hodgson, Cadee are not has beens, they are quality players"

Hodgson and Cadee were "never beens". Gliddon is the only guy on that roster that is going to come to play and put up consistent numbers every night...

Reply #712214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754