Anonymous
Years ago

NBL scoring rate, competitiveness increased?

NBL has stated that the points per minute are up by 5.2% from last year and are at their highest level since 1992.

Also both teams have led in every game and 11 of 19 have been decided by 8 or less.

Well done.

Topic #44171 | Report this topic

Justin  
Years ago

Free throws will do that

Reply #712321 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Because no team in the NBL has shot free throws before! Out of interest, teams are averaging 16 FT makes per game out of 91ppg, only slightly higher than the NBA for FTM per minute.

Reply #712370 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I thought so too at first, Justin. However, the stats are a little more complicated. Comparing last and the current season:

League pace: ~1.5% increase
Free throws attempted per game: ~1% decrease
Fouls per game: ~5.8% increase

The games are feeling noticeably slower (to me at least), which is reflected by the increase in fouls called. But the scoring increase isn't explained by more free throw attempts (since there is actually less) or pace.

The increase in scoring is hopefully a reflection of a slight improvement in overall quality (offensively at least).

While I think the ladder is already a solid indicator of the best vs worst teams, I've appreciated that most games have been genuinely competitive.

Reply #712386 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Funnily enough, FG% is down, teams are attempting more threes though, so you're right, it is complicated!

Reply #712388 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hmm, when I checked season to date the other day, total points per game were down by 6 from last season to date. Given the multiple overtime this season to date the points per game are unlikely to be up on last season to date.

Maybe I misread the stats the other day. I wasn't focused on points per game so didn’t check closely. It’s also possible NBL are using full year stats from last season. IIRC scoring per game dipped in the second half of last season, so that could explain it as well.

Reply #712393 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

According to RealGM.com the league average points per minute and offensive rating are both down ~1% from last season.

The figures from last season appear to include the finals too though, so perhaps the NBL is only referring to the regular season with their stats.

Reply #712395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Funnily enough, FG% is down, teams are attempting more threes though"

The modern game? I've wondered why NBL teams didn't really adopt the trend of the NBA, but maybe it is slowly happening. I'm not necessarily saying one way is better than another, but usually it's a copycat type of game.

Reply #712399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to tell this early in the season, especially with all the overtimes. I haven't noticed a big change in offensive philosophy from the teams, it's still push the ball, get an early on-ball, then penetrate or move the ball around into another on-ball or post feed to try and open up weakside cutters or shooters. If it's not that type of stuff it's stack screens or stagger to free up a shooter and take what the D gives you on that, or basic horns sets. Will be interested to see if threes stay high through the season.

Reply #712403 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I think it is irrational to compare the first 3 rounds of this year to the full year last season. I expect scoring will slow up in the back half of the year as each team plays each other a 3rd and 4th time and have worked out some of the offences.

Reply #712489 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Know this is an NBL thread, but as an aside this is a pretty phenomenal stat that I just happened to stumble across when I looked across all the scores this year.

It looks like there's been 105-110 odd NBA games so far this year.

Out of all of those games, I can only find 4 games where the winning team did not score more than 100 points.

Some other very interesting stats:

The average PPG is around 112pg per team.
Teams are attempting on average 32 3's per game!!! For comparision, this was 13 odd per game in 2000.

Reply #712510 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:08 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754