Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats vs Breakers, 3 Nov 2018

Sometimes I wish I could just start a game thread without having to write a pre-amble for a plain, early season game. Just once. Write in the teams and post with an empty thread body. In 15 years or whatever it's been of running this forum, just once would be nice. Too early in the season to go on about it being 1-4 on the ladder. NZB are 2-2 for fourth. Brisbane are 3-3 but fifth on points percentage. No one cares that these were dynastic teams just a few seasons ago. Maybe Brandt will feast on the boards again? Maybe White will adjust his facial expression slightly? Someone offered to buy Hoops the other day. Every now and then that happens. Without Martin, will my brother be able to reverse his fantasy trades and get his old teammate Norto back in time? Maybe Homicide will commentate? I could add the betting odds and risk upsetting people who don't like gambling. What else? Webster might have a big game without Martin there? I should've just written "Your tips" and left it at that.

Your tips?

Topic #44193 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ will like their chances with Martin out. Webster to feast.

Reply #713074 | Report this post

Years ago

I like this preview. Good write up Isaac. Whats a forum worth thses days?

Reply #713080 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Wildcats have taken pity on the floor-wipers, who didn't want to clean up the mess after Martin was finished with Weeks and Illi.

Webster has been scoring well, will be interesting to see if Trev bothers with a plan to shut him down. He didn't seem to mind Goulding ripping us a new one, so probably not.

Presumably with Martin out, Hire will play 35 minutes as Point Guard. I can only assume Trev's tactic is to accelerate his retirement by getting him injured asap.

Jervis will look good early, commit 2 fouls and be benched, where upon Trev will again forget why he recruited him and leave him there.

White will snooze for 3/4's, then take about 30 shots in the last quarter. If he can get above 25%, we'll probably win.

Honestly not sure if I can be bothered. I've got shit to do, and these morning games are really getting on my tit

Reply #713082 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Not a fan of these early games either but it is what it is.
Would've confidently said Perth with Martin but now its more 60/40.
Perth in a close one.

Reply #713089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He didn't seem to mind Goulding ripping us a new one, so probably not."

LOL he didn't have a choice about Goulding. He did as he pleased regardless of who tried to contain him.

Reply #713096 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Honestly not sure if I can be bothered. I've got shit to do, and these morning games are really getting on my tit"

Don't go then. Either way no one here cares if you do or don't. Just atop whining about it.

Reply #713106 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

stop*

Reply #713107 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Genuinely funny write-up. Feels like a hopeless situation, Isaac.

Go Breakers

Reply #713110 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Just the tip?

Reply #713113 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Aye

Reply #713114 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Perf.

Reply #713117 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Been offered a bit more than $20k before but likely worth a bit more than that. Then got approached by a Canadian company wanting to buy it but they bailed because they couldn't own an AU domain.

AD, by tit, given this is a Perth thread, do you mean moob?

Reply #713121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect the Wildcats have probably been closer to peak form early in the season, as opposed to teams like Sydney or NZ, who I think could improve more with time. I suspect Perth may struggle more later in the season, and need some early wins to secure a playoff entry.

Probably not going to be the game of the year, but I will be interested to see how the Wildcats perform without Martin. I like Norton, but he doesn't appear to have comparable control over the team's offence. I guess Cotton will see more time at point.

Also curious to see Steindl's body language, as much as his performance. He looked quite pensive shooting free throws recently. Not sure what's happening, but I think he will need confidence and aggression to provide value.

Only seen NZ in highlights this season, but have always enjoyed their style.

Reply #713127 | Report this post

Durtle  
Years ago

What time is the tipoff? Some games have been 1210pm, some at 12pm, others at 1150am.

Reply #713128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol NZ are a joke so a superior team like Perth should beat them even without Damo.

Reply #713129 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"AD, by tit, given this is a Perth thread, do you mean moob?"

I can't blame Dazz for having moob on his mind when his team's coach insists on showcasing his at assets every game!

Reply #713162 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Forum is much appreciated along with the time and effort you put into it Isaac. Brings Australia's basketball community together. When it becomes worth in the millions I will understand if you sell.

Reply #713169 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"AD, by tit, given this is a Perth thread, do you mean moob?"

WTF knows. Saturday mornings I am usually hung-over and caffeine deprived. Trev looks pretty hot in pink.

If I could figure out how to get a big screen in my boat, I could just watch the game on the wonderful 9-go, whilst getting shit-faced and fishing.

Reply #713226 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

PS: I shouldn't, but I just have a bad feeling about this game.

For all those saying we're fortunate to have Norton, well yes, but that was always the point. Chances of Martin getting through the season uninjured were always sub-zero.
Hire is no better, he's basically playing on one leg.
And we're left with Stiendl holding down the bench. If his GF's so good, maybe we should just get her to play for the Wildcats.

I don't believe NZ are the force they once were, but they have a history of always bringing their A game to Perth. Perth need to be on their toes from the tip-off, and I just have a nagging feeling we won't be.
Or that could just be the Jacks talking.

Reply #713227 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Breakers still finding their feet but if there was a time to pounce on the Wildcats for a win in Perth now is the time with Martin out.
NZ will need to rebound as a team very well to win this.

Reply #713230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did they get the best Top 10 plays guy from NBA.com to do the NBL top 10 plays??

Amazing :O

Reply #713273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The banter between seb, Corey, and Shaun has been very entertaining and they talk basketball.

Reply #713276 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#273 link?

Reply #713280 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Foul count 11-1. Jervis has his feet on the semi-circle- should have been a block!

Reply #713283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As per normal at Perth consistent calls hard to find, different calls at either end.

Reply #713284 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Well i guess complaining to the refs work, cause we've seen a complete comical reversal now....

Reply #713285 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Webster body language on the bench is terrible- the team is fine without his shocking body language....

Reply #713286 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Perthworld
Think it's Beau Estes?

He was nbl website last season doing top 10s.

NBL is probably paying him a fee. If he has his own YouTube channel etc, there's probably good exposure in USA and other countries.

Reply #713287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ looking real good

Reply #713288 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Huddle talks from coaches now include talks about getting calls from refs?

Reply #713289 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Gleeson's little thing when he claps with his hands near his head after every score is so irritating! If you know the clap he does you know what I mean!

Reply #713291 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Foul count 11-1. Jervis has his feet on the semi-circle- should have been a block!
That's not the rule.

Reply #713292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth get all the calls. That's the actual rule.

Reply #713293 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ouch Moore's finger looks gnarly!

Reply #713294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks doing good for Perth.

Reply #713295 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Haha Tai Wesley you legend

Reply #713296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grown man sooking

Reply #713298 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"Let's be real, I ain't seen Ogilvy for 2 years"

Ha you gotta love Wesley and then Homocide talking it up, actually giving opinions. Better than AFL where they're too scared of offending someone to make outspoken comments like that

Reply #713299 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Unfortunately, I can't see NZB winning this. Our offense is really inconsistent this year and its a worry as to where we are going to get our points from across a full game.

The games we have won we've relied on special performances by Delany and Wesley (ADL & Melb games).

Never used to worry about the Breakers offence - but there seems to be a lot of players out on the court who aren't contributing (or who for their own limitations can't contribute) very much offensively.

Reply #713300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey has the world's biggest hard on for anything United related

Reply #713301 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What did Wesley say? Changed over at HT so missed it.

Reply #713303 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Tom Abercrombie hooks his defender and gets the and 1. SMH

Reply #713306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@MACDUB- he was asked how they are going to stop the Cotton and he said they have to stop Cotton and the whole Perth team from falling down.

Reply #713307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is up with Corey Webster- wow he looks so disinterested

Reply #713308 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

shea ili is NZs biggest problem. They need to send Moore home and bring in a starting pg

Reply #713309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why u so concerned Macdub. Wildcats needed 50% 3pt shooting and 3 refs to scrape ahead. NZ playing the better basketball IMO.

Reply #713310 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thats the Webster I was expecting this season....

Reply #713312 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Didn't think u could hit the board with ball on the rim.

Reply #713313 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I'll take my words back, Webster doing much better. Body language could improve though!

Reply #713314 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bryce Cotton, the protected species

Reply #713315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster hungry

Reply #713318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Five fouls against Perth and the end of the third. Fucken joke

Reply #713319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster losing the plot here

Reply #713320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley making Kay looking like a reserve grader, certainly no Matt Knight.

Reply #713321 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

First you wave off an obvious and 1 then you call unsportsmablile when he clearly plays the ball! Terrible call

Reply #713322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USF correct call

Reply #713323 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

USF on Wagstaff is fair, given the new interpretation

But I'm not sure if I like this new interpretation.

The intent was to foul, obviously. On the other hand, no one was going to get hurt. Maybe a regular foul is penalty enough

Reply #713324 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Long has bumbled a few good chances away this game.

Reply #713325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finally, FINALLY steindl is catching fire for the Cats

Reply #713326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finally, FINALLY steindl is catching fire for the Cats

Reply #713327 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sub Webster on.....

Reply #713328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foul count 18-8 in Perth favour and Perth fans still complaining

Reply #713329 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Get Shea Illi and Abercrombie OFF

Reply #713330 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Shea has regressed to 2016-17 form.

Reply #713331 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

So anyone care to explain how kay didn't get a foul there? I guess perth just get "all" the calls

Reply #713332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was told that the game would be decided by the play of Steindl Vague and Dech i would have assumed it meant big NZ win

Reply #713333 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I don't think the reffing has been too bad (haven't seen the entire game though)

My one complaint is Cotton kicks his legs out on 3's, then someone makes incidental contact, and Off Cotton goes to the charity stripe. They have to stop calling that

Reply #713334 | Report this post

20 Free throws to 3??

Surely that is not correct. The Breakers have only had 3 foul shots the WHOLE GAME?

The referees dont bother to try and hide it anymore.

Reply #713335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still the umpires fault Tai?

Thought so

Reply #713336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you play bad defense, you have to foul. Or just let them score. Breakers trying both strategies here

Reply #713337 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Why u so concerned Macdub. Wildcats needed 50% 3pt shooting and 3 refs to scrape ahead. NZ playing the better basketball IMO."

I was concerned with exactly what happened in the end.

That is, that our offensive slump was inevitable and that I didn't see where our points could come from across the entire game - ultimately, the slump came at the most problematic time (4th Q).

7 points in the 4th quarter - miserable - that sums it up. The game is played across 40 minutes.

Anyway time for the real game now (All Blacks)

Reply #713338 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wasn't there a game up in Townsville in 2012 where one team shot zero free throws?

Reply #713339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley has travelled just a bit further than all the other breakers in the last 24hrs.

Reply #713340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HOME COOKING

Reply #713342 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't blame the refs for tonight's results. We didn't deserve to win.

But the home advantage is an accentuated advantage at Perth due to the added refereeing advantage that Perth get at home above and beyond what any other team gets at home.

Not saying it decides games - but there is certainly some form of added advantage with the referees, even if only a little bit

Reply #713343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats rich coming from NZ. Home calls there are horrid.

Good defense wins games

Reply #713344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor clint he sounded really relieved . You can tell the guy was under the gun for his dry spell.

Reply #713345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game but like to see refs try ref both ends the same, it doesn't happen in Perth. That doesn’t mean that NZ didn’t get a few calls but Perth get so many.

Reply #713346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ are just not a top 4 quality team. Abercrombie is clearly on the decline and Shane Ili has regressed.their import trio is also poor

Reply #713347 | Report this post

In an era where they call so many ticky tack fouls, for a team to only shoot 3 FTs the WHOLE game shows to me that the referees made up there minds before the tip off who they wanted to win.

The NBL and there refs think we are all stupid?

Reply #713348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illi and Weeks are not good enough, Delaney didn't play smart today.

Reply #713349 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No you're right.. home cooking happens everywhere to a degree including in NZ. It's an accepted part of playing at home.

My point is that the home refereeing advantage is slightly accentuated at Perth unfortunately.

Reply #713350 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So , koberulz in a little bit of excitment as homicide says perth will make finals

Reply #713351 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

In relation to the foul count: perth wasn't playing a whole heap of defence at the start of the game, really werent in the vicinity to foul, if you disagree go back and count the uncontested dunks and layins, nz was shooting 60%. nz defence was sloppy all game both teams were on the wrong and right end of some calls.

Reply #713352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers fans complaining about home cooking is all of the lulz!

Reply #713354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No offense to Trimble of the Taipans but Cotton at this stage of the season is again the MVP leading candidate.

Reply #713355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The play where Finn barrelled into Jervis (the first one), some of the Breakers players on the bench jumped up and asked for a flop warning. Not sure if it was a charge or block, but it certainly wasn't a flop.

Reply #713356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton and Trimble should not even be in the same sentence, Cotton is on his own at this stage and I certainly don't support Perth.

Reply #713357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No team can win with that kind of reffing.

Yes the breakers have issues

The breakers imports suck basically. Why they got rid of dj newbill is beyond me.

Richard and Moore might be ok if they didn't play the same position every other player plays. But they are part of a log jam if wing players

Long can’t score on the put back if he is defended. He’d be better to pass it back out. And he fouls which means he plays hardly at all. Wesley is forced to cover 4 and 5 because majok is woeful

Everyone complains Abercrombie is on the decline but they fail to notice he is in the ridiculous wing logjam.

So yes they have problems. But reffing tonite was a joke. Who knows Perth might have been a better team but we will never know as it was stitched up

Reply #713358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley basically is the only 4 / 5 we have

Illi playing poorly, but like all players required bigs to set screens and to balance the court and breakers don't have balance. So it effects him

Why they flagged pledger for majok is a mystery

Moore who plays with energy and might be okay if he could get a run hurt his hand. Be good if they replaced him with another 4 or 5. Jarelle bennimon maybe

Good to see ngati get a run. Again in the logjam of players who play the same position

If they had newbill they would be fine. He could play the 1 and did so more than Sosa last year. His defence is amazing and he played the 2 to 3 as well. With him they could have got 2 bigs for imports which is what they need.

Reply #713359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor reffing

Reply #713362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which specific calls or missed calls went in Perth's favour? All I’m seeing is everyone bitch about the foul count, ignoring the fact that NZ either launched from deep, or found easy dishes to someone under the rim, but rarely attacked the basket.

Reply #713363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every little touch foul gets called in Perth favour, defenders then back off so it becomes easier for Perth to score the longer the game goes and the foul count mounts up, it's not rocket science, while at the other end to get a foul it has to be so clear or not called.

Reply #713365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for being specific!

Reply #713366 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I thought Dech was huge for us. It seemed like when he came on, Corey Webster took it as a personal insult and set about trying to destroy him, except the result was a whole lot of missed shots for him, very little of the ball for his teammates. Not that Corey wasn't within he rights to try it - he was looking deadly up to that point - but the game really swung right around that time. Up until then NZ were having no trouble dealing with our defence. They took it right up to us today. 14 point final margin is not really fair on them.

Happy for Steindl too. All season he's been on a super-short leash. Being down a guard today Gleeson was pretty much forced to play him more, and that happened.

Reply #713367 | Report this post

Hoot  
Years ago

Nailed it Luuuc!

Can't blame Webster. But Sunday did what he needed to do. Bring pressure and relieve Norton of minutes.

That bench unit with cotton won the game.

Reply #713368 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

My mate yelled out "Noooo!!!!" as Vague was launching that 3. Vanilla is a totally different player this season. I did not see it coming at all. He did some good work at both ends today. Was very cool for a change to win it via some big bench contributions.

Reply #713369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster gets munted in three point play by Norton. Nothing.

Next play. Cotton kicks legs out for a three. Ili fouls. Apparently.

You want specifics?! What a waste of time. The whole game had specifics. No one is going to list them.

Who cares what the red army think anyway. Whole league knows you guys moan and winge

Reply #713371 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The NZ roster structure does seem to fit the argument that the new ownership group pumped the breaks on spending for this season.

Seems to be a lot of guys on that roster who they wouldn't be paying big money to I'm guessing (Ngatai, Delany, Weeks, Majok, Ili). Those guys weren't exactly in strong bargaining positions for $.

Our imports look cheapish as well.

Reply #713373 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

FWIW I thought that "foul" on Cotton was total rubbish too.
Team fouls comparison is a metric I don't really rate, but it felt to me like we got a pretty good run with the refs.

Reply #713374 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Webster is a scorer and in a team that desperately needs scoring he should have a green light so no issue.

I wouldn't actually care if he took 30 shots tonight (instead of the 18 he got).

He would still hit those extra 12 at a higher clip than others who are shooting (Ili 1-6, Abercrombie 2-11, Weeks 3-9).

Reply #713375 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So what happened to Moore?
Must have been nasty, Perth Doctor had to come to their bench, and looked like they cleaning blood from the floor?

I liked the move of putting Dech on Webster. You basically give the kid ONE JOB, doesn't even matter if he gives up a few fouls.

I was surprised at the foul count, but at the same time I don't think a lopsided foul count should influence refs back the other way.

Reply #713377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RED ARMY RULES!!!!!!!!

Reply #713378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Whole league knows you guys moan and winge"

Pretty sure you're the one moaning and whinging right now...

Reply #713379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Delaney got called for two offensive fouls, where he was running full steam ahead and not even looking what was in front of him. One of the NZ imports got called for a blatant hook right in front of the refs.

Should the refs have called those same fouls on the Wildcats to make things even, despite not doing any of those things once in the entire game?

Reply #713380 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Yes anon. Should have also called fouls on all those uncontested dunks perth gave up.

Reply #713381 | Report this post

Hoot  
Years ago

Moore split his finger on the backboard when attempting to get a rebound or block a shot.

he sliced it on the underside of the backboard.

Reply #713383 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"Whole league knows you guys moan and winge"

Pretty sure you're the one moaning and whinging right now...

no, really. its an army of 13'000 whining b*tches.

Reply #713384 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Moore split his finger on the backboard when attempting to get a rebound or block a shot.
he sliced it on the underside of the backboard."

Damn, that's nasty.

Hopefully he doesn't take too long to recover.
But might be an opportunity to sign a PG? Illi & Weeks not cutting it.

Reply #713385 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

5-1 with only 2 imports is not to bad of a start. Watching the game I didn't notice the free throw count. Why is perth the only team to keep winning year after year? Surely in that time they do dine out instead of home cooking?

Reply #713387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never post drunk, FT. Actually just never post.

Reply #713407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 fouls against Perth. Wtf

Reply #713410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well to put it simply. You don't do when You are playing terrible defence.

Reply #713411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To put it simply. You are a moron. It was the refs being one sided

Reply #713469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why stick to blaming the refs?
Clearly the hoops are biased because they allowed in more Wildcats' shots.
Maybe the floor was biased and made NZ run slower?
Perhaps its just the biased Perth air that made then play shit?

In case it hasn't occurred to you, fouling is actually a mistake, just like a turnover or missed shot. Players do actually try not to make them.
So why are you surprised that better players commit less fouls?
Why do you think Jervis only got 6 minutes? If we let him play til he fouled out would that make the refs less biased?

For whatever reason Brandt wasn't going for every board this week, so not surprisingly he committed less fouls. Had NZ benched Delaney quicker (who is about as subtle as a brick) would that also have made the refs less biased?

NZ usually travel well to Perth, but this time round looked like they walked all the way. They looked knackered and played accordingly.

Reply #713492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The foul count is a conspiracy organised between Hungry Jacks and the refs. HJs have reached their quota of free burgers for the round already, with NSW and Queensland receiving free burgers, so they didn't want Perth to tip them right over their burger budget.

Reply #713498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What annoys me about the Perth fans is they blame the refs more than any other team.

Look at this forum. There was even a punter early on who had a crack at thenredding in this game

Officially, statistically speaking this is the most lopsided reffing in the history of the breakers. THE WORST ONE EVER

Are we going to complain? Of course we are.

Then you get half wits like the poster who says fouls are a mistake. What a tosser

From a breakers fans perspective. That was not an even playing field or close to it.

Would Perth had one if they had just endured their statistically worst reffing ever?

And don't give me the reheated,past is used by, bargain basement slop blaming the players.

Take your win and the satisfaction you got from it from that

Reply #713500 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"The foul count is a conspiracy organised between Hungry Jacks and the refs. HJs have reached their quota of free burgers for the round already, with NSW and Queensland receiving free burgers, so they didn't want Perth to tip them right over their burger budget."

Gold.

Reply #713501 | Report this post

Hoot  
Years ago

Fans complaining and whining about wildcats fans is peak hoops.

Wildcats have the biggest most loyal fan base. With that comes more "casual" fans - and these casuals find their way to forums.

They are always going to be more misguided and uneducated.

But they are classic red army marks that believe their team can do no wrong.

Yet people still get upset?

Personally I find it hilarious when anons who should know better get so worked up by other anons that don't know any better.

Reply #713506 | Report this post

Eduardo  
Years ago

Si señor. Me gusta el basketball. Wildcats son los mejores! "Let's go Wildcats let's go!"

Reply #713511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoot. You have a point there

Reply #713518 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hoot you're right but they are extremely annoying and arrogant/smug which causes these issues.

Reply #713533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I immediately thought of J when I saw this article on Perth Now
https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyle/stm/stms-pick-for-breakfast-and-brunch-ng-b88995343z

Reply #713539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The idea of rigged/favored reffing is really over blown imo. Literally every game thread these days is people complaining how the refs/league favour a certain team.

Reality is the refs in this league aren't bias, they just suck.

Then depending on who you support you tend to focus more on certain calls in the game than others leading to some bias. Wildcats get some shit calls to but haters seem to completely ignore those.

Simply looking at a foul count or FT numbers isn't necessarily an accurate representation of 'one sided reffing'. It's all relative to the situations in a game. NZ took a lot of outside shots and had a lot of easy and uncontested baskets yesterday, particularly the first half.

When watching the game I thought there was some missed/bad calls both ways, but overall it didn't appear too bad to me or one sided. I was pretty shocked when I saw the FT count after the game, however I hadn't been sitting there all game thinking "gees NZ are getting hammered under the ring on every posession" it was just the way the game unfolded that they didn't even themselves that many FT.

Reply #713545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats do get some shit calls but somehow their opponents always get a lot more shit calls. That can't be just random luck when it happens consistently over multiple years. Note I am not claiming that it is a league conspiracy. I think the refs get intimidated by a big crowd and that's why the 2 clubs with the biggest crowds also get the most home cooking.

Reply #713550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never claimed a conspiracy

I just said we got hosed. And we did. People can claim long shots and dunks blah blah blah. We got hosed.

Why we got hosed is a different conversation. I don't think it is a conspiracy for one minute.

I reckon they are just meek. 13000 red fans screaming at you in the weekend. The biggest fan base and loudest. They call it easy. What they see is tempered by their lack of confidence

Reply #713701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 fouls called on Perth is the lowest ever in there 1161 game history

Reply #713708 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Wow, what a fucked up thread. 120+ posts and most are either infantile insults at Perth, or blaming the refs.

This whole forum is just going to shit. Nothing but silly anons sniping, insulting, and blaming the refs every time their team loses.

Any chance we could actually discuss the games?

Massive game from Wesley, almost unstoppable at one point.
Webster also had a great game, not sure why he didn't get more minutes in the last quarter.

And hows about Stiendl!?! I must admit I had given up hope, but what a game. 5 3's at 100%!

Not sure about white, he went missing again.

Reply #713742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ad

Blaming refs every time some loses? ! Means the forum is going to shit?

Are you serious? Or so one eyed you topple over when you stand up?

It was a statistical debacle. 8 fouls in a game! The worst in 1161 game history

I am just glad I am not an owner. Imagine paying for a team to go all the way to Perth and have to put up with that

Reply #713760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

put up with their own teams performance? If thats what you meant i 100% agree.

Reply #713764 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

People realise that one of the 1161 games was going to have the lowest foul count, right?

Reply #713777 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

The sore losers on this site are embarrassing.
Lose with dignity.

Reply #713788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They only recorded 12 the week before against United in double OT. 3 different refs. But let's not worry about technicalities.

Reply #713792 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There was plenty of discussion about the 'home cooking' in the previous game too, if I remember correctly! It's not a new discussion, the reality is intense atmosphere's affect refs just as it affects players.

Reply #713797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats are hedging a lot more on the pick and roll this year instead of relying on the guard to fight over screens. Also neither Melbourne (after goulding got hurt) or NZ had a wing that makes you fight through back screens. Add that to the fact that 90% of NZ's drives resulted in either a kick out or a pass to the big not a shot attempt it is unsurprising that the cats had a lower foul count. Add this to the fact that with Norton, kay and white they are attacking the ring more often. You see it all the time in 36ers games - attacking the ring gets calls.
Across the league there has also been less of an emphasis on illegal screens - one of Perths biggest issues last year.

Reply #713806 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"it is unsurprising that the cats had a lower foul count."

I don't think the discussion is about having a lower foul count, I think it's the fact they were only called for eight fouls, and that NZ took 30 shots in the paint and got three free throws, where Perth took 33 shots in close and had 21 free throws.

I won't get to watch the game til tomorrow, so I'm not making judgement either way, but I can certainly understand why discussion would come up looking at those numbers.

Reply #713828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes koberulz. Of course one in 1161 games one has to be the lowest.

But it is consistency. Perth fouled and nothing was called. It was not consistent and despite all the rhetoric like Perth don't fight thru screens, it is all balony.

Reply #713911 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Doesn't matter which game thread you open, it's full of shit, the same few people repeating their gripes about the refs, over and over, and over again. Then trading insults with anyone who disagrees with them.

Case in point:

"Blaming refs every time some loses? ! Means the forum is going to shit?
Are you serious? Or so one eyed you topple over when you stand up?"

Do you bother responding to any comments about the actual game?
No, just more crapping on about the refs.

I can't even understand what you're asking for?
What, you want the refs to call imagining fouls just so the count is even?
Or,you think the losing team should get free-throws at the end to balance out the foul count???

And what exactly are you alleging? You think the Wildcats have any control over the refs?

Reply #713923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ad

Don't be stupid

I want the Perth fans to admit the refs sucked.

Reply #713928 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

AD....

The NBL have said the 1OT call on Ware was incorrect, lets move on.

Melbourne fans shouldn't bitch, they get home calls too, remember when Majok fouled Beal on the last second drive? You all gloated about the non-call.

This is the return leg of the karma ledger.

Perth fans, you shouldn't bitch either when other teams get home calls.

Let's just accept every home team gets home calls.

Reply #713935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker

Correct

Reply #713962 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Don't be stupid

I want the Perth fans to admit the refs sucked"

Utd got robbed and I'm a Perth supporter. Good luck even after the league confirming it getting anyone else to admit it though. Our fanbase are feral and deluded, back in the day they were normal but something changed after around 2010.

Reply #714013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There goes your credibility. They were never normal.

Reply #714020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd also like them to admit the game was wrecked.

I am not blaming Perth. But the game wasn’t worth playing with insipid refs like that.

Reply #714030 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Credibility? The arrogant era started sometime after Bendat/Marvin took over and once the first title was won and the new stadium lined up ohhhh boy!

Reply #714037 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

They won't admit to it, as being little brother to the east we have an inferiority complex to cope with it - it's why it's Perthworld - on it's only little planet far far away in the galaxy WA (Wait Awhile).

Reply #714039 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I've got no issue with admitting when calls favour the Cats, or that in Perth Arena games the Cats overall get a good run with the refs a lot more often than not.
If the Ware contact is called correctly then Perth lose. That's true.
Although as others have already pointed out, that wasn't the first incorrect call in the game. But people are free to play the what-if game to their heart's content if it makes them feel better, including playing it selectively.

Reply #714040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754