RJ
Years ago

2005 U12 & U14 1 Grand Final Previews

I thought I had said all I could on my thoughts on the teams that were left. It would seem there are people interested (or just very bored) so here goes. Just a note I'm relying on my memory on some things here and anyone who knows me knows that isn't a safe thing to be doing.

Under 12 Boys 1:
8:30 DH Dome 2 Sturt Sabres (1) V (3) South Adelaide

Rd.22 Sturt 41 def. South Adelaide 24
Rd.13 Sturt 45 def. South Adelaide 29
Rd.4 Sturt 40 def. South Adelaide 27

Summer Premiers: Sturt Sabres
State Champs Premiers: Sturt Sabres

Sturt and South meet again in an Under 12 Grand Final. The Summer title went to the Sabres and so has the winter season so far. While the Sabres haven't been able to dominate the Panthers in the same way they have some other teams all the wins were comfortable, in the end. The pesky Panthers work ethic and perseverance is exemplified by their finals performace. Bouncing back from a 26 point Qualifying Final drubbing from the Bearcats, the Panthers put in a tough some would say surprising performance against the most improved side in the grade the Forestville Eagles. They then backed up that with a 14 point win on Sunday against that very same West Adelaide. A 40 point turnaround in 9 days. Perseverance!!!

Sturt's finals series has been much shorter. One 9 point win against West Adelaide last Friday. A game that was much closer throughout then most would have anticipated. Their year has been a long one, already including two titles and strong performance at the National Junior Classics.

Sturt are bigger and further developed then all the other teams in this grade and have shown that in the way they have played. Led by one of the state's most promising young coaches, Ben Gliddon, the Sabres play a smart controlled game. The Panthers hustle and hard work has gotten them this far and much praise must go to them and their coach Adrian Kendrick for doing so. Alas I believe they'll again fall short the Sabres simply too big and too good for the Panthers to get over.

Sturt by 16.

Under 12 Girls 1:
8:30 DH Dome 3 Sturt Sabres (2) V (1) Forestville Eagles

Semi Sturt 42 def. Forestville 33
Rd. 17 Forestville 37 def. Sturt 36
Rd.8 Forestville 34 def. Sturt 31

Summer Premiers: Sturt Sabres

National Junior Classics Champion: Sturt Sabres

I've said it before but for two years now these two clubs and two coaches have fought out a healthy rivalry in this grade. For the most part the glory and all the Premierships have gone Sturt's way and at the end maybe this is Boti's chance to get one back over his nemesis Wayne Beaumont.

Sturt opened their finals campaign with a more then comfortable win over the third placed Southern Tigers 48-15. They backed that up by beating the Eagles in the Semi last Friday to go straight into the Grand Final.

Forestville's Finals series begun with that Semi final loss but they turned it around by also knocking of the Tigers in convincing style 53-10 in last Sunday's Preliminary Final.

So we come to the end. With both coaches moving on it's really not just the end of the basketball year for these teams but an end of a short era for this grade. For anyone who's willing to be awake at 8:30am on a Sunday this game will definitely make it worth your while. Both teams are big, talented and deep and will have many future State Reps on display. Look for many of these players to have long basketball careers. Tipping a winner between these two is pretty unfair to the other but it's expected so I'm going with ...

Sturt by 3 in OT.

Under 14 Boys 1:
9:30 DH Dome 2 Sturt Sabres (2) V (1) West Adelaide

Semi Sturt 59 def. West Adelaide 43
Rd. 19 Sturt 55 def. West Adelaide 30
Rd. 10 West Adelaide 47 def. Sturt 39
Rd. 1 West Adelaide 41 def. Sturt 38

Summer Premiers: West Adelaide Bearcats
State Champs Premiers: Norwood Flames

Two teams with a long rivalry and plenty on the line in this game. Sturt are headed to a National Championships after this (as are Norwood and North Adelaide) while this game is the end of what would be a disappointing year for the Bearcats.

The year promised much from the start for West clearly the team to beat back in October 2004. They showed that over the Summer with few challenges on their way to premiership glory. The year completely changed though on that fateful night in May when the Bearcats suffered a shock loss to the Flames in the State Champs semi 60-61. A team which promised much just had their National Championships taken from them in one game. They bounced back to finish third but much of their veneer had been lost in that game and they were no longer the clear leader of the 3 team pack.

Sturt built their year around two players, two very good players at that and had much success but were relying on them to simply do too much. A few player changes and a controversial inclusion has made all the difference and the Sabres are definitely hitting their best form at the right time of the year. The extra preparation leading into Nationals would not be hurting them either and this entire group has improved greatly.

The game will be played by how each team's go to players perform. Both teams have size and skill. Both team have strong talented big men in Chris Steele (West) & John Marriott (Sturt) plus talented court leaders Nathan Spehr (West) & Josh Owen-Thomas (Sturt). The X factor (and I know many Panthers are going to cringe at this) is definitely Nathan AhMatt-Watkins from Sturt. In his current form he may very well be the player of the grade and if he can perform close to how he has been of late then the Sabres should get their share of the 2005 premierships on Sunday.

Sturt by 12.

Under 14 Girls 1:
9:30 DH Dome 3 Sturt Sabres (2) V (1) North Adelaide

Semi Sturt 55 def. North Adelaide 38
Rd. 18 North Adelaide 62 def. Sturt 47
Rd. 9 North Adelaide 33 def. Sturt 28

Summer Premiers: North Adelaide Rockets

North lost one game during the regular season but did have a few problems with the Sabres in 2005. See the Semi final and State Champs Final result. The 17 point difference in the semi was major shock, let alone the fact the Sabres got up. (Interesting to note only one of the four #1 seeds so far won their Semi, no point just an observation.) The Sabres finals series begun with a 33-27 win over the highly fancied Forestville Eagles. That put then into the double-chance semi where they got the win and progressed straight into this one. The Rockets minor premiership gave them the first weekend off, their Semi final loss backed up with an impressive 53-39 win over the Eagles.

Both teams started the year building their sides around two standouts each. The Rockets adding much size to their side and also Paige Hooper to share ball carrying duties with Tahnee Mansfield. Meanwhile the Sabres added major bulk early in 2005 in the form of Emma Hooley, probably the name big girl of this group at the moment. Both teams also are headed for National Championship commitments in about 10 days from now and would be the best prepared sides in the Division. Hooley's energy is infective and the Sabres will be well prepared by their coaching staff of Matt Gliddon and assistant Paul Mesecke but the Rockets have some veteran leadership of their own in Barry Mansfield. I doubt the score line will resemble that of the semi and this will definitely be another high standard encounter between two very talented sides.

North by 7.

U16's to come very soon, Under 18 and U20's hopefully before the end of the day.

Topic #4420 | Report this topic

One of the Bored  
Years ago

under 12's & under 14's !!!!!! hold on to your seat.

Reply #51388 | Report this post

Pureballer  
Years ago

Fantastic job RJ!!!!

Reply #51390 | Report this post

SA Confidential  
Years ago

A few player changes and a controversial inclusion has made all the difference.

(Mod: Content deleted. You are very close to being blocked. Go and read the Forum Guidelines.)

Reply #51395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Confidential it is all water under the bridge really, move on. Every one else has. South didn't get the player so that is that !

Reply #51403 | Report this post

wayne beaumont  
Years ago

RJ you were wrong!!!!! It was OT by 7 - lol. Great tipping and write ups - my parents were actually very interested in what was said on here. Great game by two great teams, I wish them all the best in the future.

Reply #51914 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754