Jack Toft
Years ago

Adelaide v Brisbane Nov4 Game

A long time ago I went to Carnegie's Deli. I ordered a Reuben sandwich and ate pickles. It was a good Reuben. On Thursday night the Sixers had a bad Reuben. Reuben Te Rangi. You would have thought a guy had averaged 3 point 9 points per game in his career would be happy with that, but no, he decided to drop a lazy 29 points and lead all scorers. He’s a bad Reuben, a naughty Reuben in Sixers fans eyes.
What’s he trying to prove? Oh, I know, fast forward a few years, he’s tucking his son into bed and his son says "tell us again about the weekend you tore the Sixers a new one Dad!" “Well it all began on a Thursday night when I dropped 29 on them, and then to show them it wasn’t a fluke, I went to their home court and dropped another 29 on the Sunday. Made their team look like stooges”

The Suxers don’t need to be the subject of bedtime stories.

The Drim did a good job scoring last game, but Mika Vukona did a job on him opening up his noggin and massaging his brain. That’s something he’ll have to watch today.

That game was very much a game of halves and the Sixers scored only 37 points to 48 in the second half. That’s a slight improvement from 34 to 59 in NZ, and 28 to 31 in Melbourne. No doubt that’s something the Sixers coaches will be working on. You can’t expect the win games in the first half and then cruise in the second half, very few teams can do that.

But let’s get back to Reuben, and not the sandwich. So far this season he has not had a game in single figure points, only Cam Gliddon can claim the same. So I’m hoping basketballer Reuben isn’t like the sandwich and repeats.

This game is the Sixers to lose. They need to play the full 4 quarters and not let the Bullets rattle them.

Topic #44205 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Adelaide can't win today they have issues.

Reply #713522 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm real excited for Patterson.

Will take him a while to flourish imo because he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who makes things happen himself. But he should be really good

Reply #713530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carnegie's is a total tourist trap. It's the place for an overrated Reuben. Although at least you know what you are gonna get so you can take it or leave it. The NBL is the place for an inconsistent Reuben and that's not ideal either. From one night to the next you never know if you're going to get a tasty Reuben or a mediocre one. If Adelaide can't win today then they should all pack their bags and go to NYC for a sandwich and a holiday because they must not be interested in playing decent basketball.

Reply #713534 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Appreciate the bright start to this thread Jack.

Reply #713537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But let's get back to Reuben, and not the sandwich. So far this season he has not had a game in single figure points, only Cam Gliddon can claim the same."
Jack, Reuben scored only 4 points in round 1 against NZ.

Reply #713538 | Report this post

Looking forward to the refs putting on a clinic today.

ZERO CHANCE the Bullets take more FTs than the 36ers today.

ZERO

Reply #713569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling has to be ahead of Hodgson on the Boomers depth chart

Reply #713590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone should be ahead of Hodgson.

Reply #713592 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Dumbass Teys. Why.

Reply #713593 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Patterson is looking... large

Reply #713597 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

These USF calls are only to encourage flopping/accentuated contact. Guys will take the risk..if the get the call they get an USF for their team, if no they only get a flop warning.

Gliddon sold that call beautifully.

What the hell has happened to our game that that is an USF??

Reply #713602 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Patterson can't stay in front of anyone on the 36ers. He couldn't stay in front of Teys.

Reply #713610 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Good to see referees starting to pick up on Vukona's secret tactics and whistle it - now that he isn't playing for NZB ;)

Reply #713612 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He looked in total shock that it got picked up!

Reply #713614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it worth switching over from the terrible cricket ODI for this? Or is the basketball not much more exciting

Reply #713615 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Patterson is certainly in some kind of shape... A sort of roundish, spheroid one.

Reply #713616 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hodgson looks like a totally different player.

Reply #713617 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Patterson's dog getting more air time

Reply #713618 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#freeKobe

Reply #713621 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Heal doesn't get it. In the US and on US airlines you can have small dogs in your bag in the cabin. So Patterson assumed it would be the same in Aus. Funny story but if you've flown in the US it's standard.

Reply #713623 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Patterson must go to the same gym as Boris Diaw.

Reply #713625 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

NBL and coaches need to work something out re language in time out huddles.

It's a bad "look" on commercial fta

Reply #713631 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Congratulations South Australia you are eating tonight!

Reply #713633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh look, the typical SA Hungry Jacks post, cute.

Gibson back to being the absolute hack he is.

Reply #713634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope Paterson is jet lagged, or might be better following his dog.

Reply #713635 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Can't you eat home cooking for lunch in the West?

Even in AEDT it’s too early for a cooked dinner.

Reply #713636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamar to return to the US inside 4 weeks due to 'personal issues'.

Reply #713639 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Legit personal reasons this time though as he will be missing Kobe.

Reply #713640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deleon is so bad wowsers.

Reply #713642 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Adelaide have to be the only team in the league with defense bad enough to make the Bullets look like... well... the Sixers on offense.

Reply #713643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee with the brick in the clutch.

Reply #713644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee shot absolute rubbish, probably cost Brisbane game

Reply #713646 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cadee best player for Sixers. Keep it up. Selfish

Reply #713647 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LOL Cadee. Bricks it badly and now a stupid foul.

Reply #713649 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Cadee is really coming through for Adelaide in the final minute.

Reply #713650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee lmao

Reply #713652 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

But guys Cadee is entitled to take horrible threes since he is a star because he has his own clothing line.

Reply #713654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely rubbish Cadee, Lemanis as much to blame playing ahead of holt

Reply #713655 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gliddon 30 point game with a buzzer beater (well 0.5secs left)!

Reply #713657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic very ordinary defender, highly overrated player

Reply #713658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cough again.

Reply #713661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DeLeon has to go at this point. Even someone like Jeremy Kendle would provide more. I'd personally get a 2/3 that can score/shoot.

Reply #713664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee should give his wage packet to Gliddon, saved his arse.

Reply #713665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is fucking terrible. Why does Shane Heal love him so much?

Reply #713667 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Brisbane too good for Adelaide.
Adelaide now 1-5 against non Sydney teams.

Reply #713668 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Surely it was the refs fault that the floppy 6ers lost.

Reply #713669 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

At least Adelaide fans can commiserate their loss with Hungry Jacks.

Reply #713670 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sack Joey?

Reply #713671 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hodgson 15 & 10.

Reply #713677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane are doing veryyyyy well with the equivalent of maybe 1 full import per game for the whole season if you added together the skills of Holt + Gee/Patterson/Egwu

Reply #713678 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Wow, DeLeon is just a bum

Reply #713679 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Unfortunately Adelaide is look like 1/3rd of the team it was last year, and possibly only 1/2 the team it was thge your before that.

I think that joey is looking for an exit strategy.

Qite sad , in that they did come so close.

Reply #713687 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Does the 25%/7 game rule still apply when imports contracts become fully guaranteed for the rest of the season?

If so that being our 8th game would mean Deleon is unlikely to be going anywhere.

Reply #713690 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Good question Zodiac I thought it was maybe a bit later in season that contracts become guaranteed.

I think the 25%/7 game rule applies to finals eligibility.

Anyone know how long Ramones will be out for?

Reply #713694 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'll say it before and I'll say it again, Jason Cadee is the most overrated player in the league. He could brick 10 threes, and when he hits one he, Matt Russel, and Shane Heal will celebrate like he's some sort of basketball savant. The dude looks like he should be a good player but he just isn't. He is certainly not a starter level player in this league.

Deleon may have hustled his ass off but he's not bringing enough on offense to justify his spot. Brendan Teys is bringing more offense for crying out loud. Sorry, Deleon, it's done. Please pack your bags.

And if Moore isn't over this injury very soon they need to move him on too. They cannot continue to wait this out another couple of weeks. The league is too tight. They run the risk of severely hampering their playoff prospects right now. We literally do not have time to "wait and see" on an injury that was meant to be a 1 game injury. Be back soon or go home.

Losing to Brisbane at home with an effort like that is a travesty. They're nowhere near what they were last year. And now that Sydney has woken up I don't see them beating them again unless they have Moore back.

Reply #713697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide were way too hyped after a couple of wins, let's be honest this team is significantly worse than last years

Reply #713698 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Unfortunately Adelaide is look like 1/3rd of the team it was last year, and possibly only 1/2 the team it was thge your before that."

Well they have lost Mitch Creek and Josh Childress, which was one of the best forward combos in league history, so they were going to need others to improve to cover that loss, and always unlikely to be as strong a championship threat as last year.

That said, they are currently 3-5, last year they were 4-5, the year before they were 3-6. They obviously need Moore back, then everyone goes back to their normal roles and they can assess where they're at. Important they leave the panicking to the fans.

Reply #713705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the old mates act with Heal, Cadee can dono wrong, you’ll notice it now with Froling, who’s going ok but struggling defensively.
Adelaide were never that good defensively but this season are crap, where they could rely on out scoring he opposition now they can’t. Deng seems out favour, Deleon is to hard to guard lol, Drimic can’t defend or score consistently. To much left for Sobey Johnson and Wiley

Reply #713706 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And if Moore isn't over this injury very soon they need to move him on too.

Aren't imports contracts that are re-signed by the same team fully guaranteed? He re-signed for two years anyway so doubt he'll be going anywhere either.

I just hope we're still able to move on Deleon because if not I can't see us paying him out for the season and signing another import on top of that.

This season has had a spend the bare minimum/keep costs down feel about it once we let Childress & Shorter go and decided not to bother adequately replacing Creek.

Reply #713707 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"It's the old mates act with Heal, Cadee can dono wrong, you'll notice it now with Froling, who’s going ok but struggling defensively."

I thought today was one of Froling's better defensive games, he is playing with more intent at that end, which is great to see for such a young player. He's going to make mistakes but he is such an exciting prospect.

Reply #713710 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

This thread is getting a run for its money with the no gender one.

Reply #713713 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wonder if the 36ers created the gender thread as a distraction in case they lost?

Reply #713720 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Disappointing result for the Sixers today. Cam Gliddon on fire won the game off his own hand.

Reply #713722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cough again. Joey to the NBA please!

Reply #713723 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Momentum is building, Paul.

The Bullet brigade is mobilising.

Recognise.

Reply #713724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#723, is there any truth to the 'Joey on the way out' suggestion?

Reply #713726 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It will only take one loss for the sack Lemanis calls to start up again, you know that!

Reply #713729 | Report this post

Perff_hater  
Years ago

LeManis is't much better. Like Gaze this will be his last season.

Reply #713732 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sooner than I thought!

Reply #713734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Bullets win in Perth next week they are the real deal

Reply #713738 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

typed it before and I'll type it again. 36ers need to shoot more 3's. Four in a whole game is just not good enough, especially when one is shot by your centre. Glidden hit more than the whole 36ers combined. That's the ball game right there. 25% from 3pt land. Sixers should have won that game by plenty. Had the Bullets on their heels just before the half. Cannot stop anyone from scoring. I personally think the 36ers are physically soft. They get pushed around and do nothing about it. They need to push back. That is what Creek gave. He didn't let anyone push him or his team around. Even Shorter too. He stuck up for himself. Terangi was just running into them all game with his chest doing whatever he wanted.

Reply #713748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deleon wont be given the flick!!!
Look what happened to ebi ere stayed whole season.

Reply #713754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Brisbane the only team who can stop Adela....oh wait, everyone can but Sydney :)

Reply #713755 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Having one good import and 2 role playing imports with one out injured (Moore), is not going to do Adelaide any favours.
Can see them missing the playoffs.

Reply #713757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blind Freddy can see Adelaide missing finals.. especially if they cannot beat Brisbane.

Reply #713761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough Creek isn't replaceable and Moore has been injured but this is a cheaply put together team.

The owner has basically spat in the fans faces by unfairly increasing season tickets and giving no money to buy a competitive team.

Reply #713769 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

We'll see if 36ers are serious or not by their actions. They are playing a man down on their roster by keeping Deleon. Offering little offensively. Can hardly recall him getting his teammates scoring with his passing. Defensively he can't cover switching. Randle was unable to defend as he couldn't switch, but he could carry himself offensively. Shorter could defend in the paint and averaged a few assists and points.

Reply #713771 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They are a very competitive team, it's just whether they can convert enough of the close games over the season to make the four. They need Moore back desperately, they were light on for wing depth to start with.

Reply #713772 | Report this post

This team is thin on depth and that's all there is to it. You take out Moore and it’s ruined rotations, your giving more minutes to Teys drimic McVeigh Doyle etc that have no right to even be on an nbl court. Adelaide are already one quality player down on last years roster and two weeks without Moore has really hurt. The depth isn’t there to cover any injury to a starting five

I can see the season going pear shaped from here as Deleon is a liability out there. Puts up hero shots and can’t defend the switching big man every team just exploit. Like a commenter earlier said any hope we have of cutting him pretty much looks gone considering the reason his here is because of the shoestring budget like management will pay him and sign up another.

I actually feel ripped off as a member getting reamed the extra 20% and then we get this rubbish roster. Childress was getable if we paid what his worth and creek should also still be here should the nba contract not work out which it hasn’t. Management found a way to totally screw that relationship up as well

Froling has been the one positive the past couple of weeks. I’d like to see him play more minutes and even with dj on the court as well.

Reply #713778 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I started to write my views on the game but everyone with basketball nous recognises what the issues are. The frustrating thing is that nothing seems to be done to fix them by either the coaching staff or management that is visible to the supporters.

Reply #713791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6ers need something to change.

Reply #713807 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I don't think it's all doom and gloom.

The one thing to remember this season is, it's close there are no easy games.

Go in without focus and you'll lose.

New Zealand lost at home to Brisbane.
Perth under-estimated Brisbane and lost too.

So I don't think losing to them is a big disaster BUT we do have to make up this with one or two good road wins.

When talking Deleon we need first to remember that he is supposed to be the third string import. Sydney and New Zealand are ahead of us but they also have Wear, Armani Moore and Richard. There are no teams with three gun imports, Perth don't even have a third import.

Overall, Sixers need to shoot better from deep and that I imagine will improve with Moore back.

Reply #713809 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Need something to charge. Yes supporters who jump as soon as team drop a game. Doom and gloom.

Reply #713810 | Report this post

Neb  
Years ago

Just recognise that Brisbane are a top 4 team and Adelaide aren't.

Brisbane can't "surprise" other teams for much longer before dumb people realise this!

Reply #713829 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Adelaide are better than Illawarra and Cairns so worst case scenario they will finish 6th.

Reply #713843 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Here's hoping that the Bullets good early form isn't wasted and can actually get some fans along to their games. They're a pretty watchable team this season.

Reply #713857 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Agree re DeLeon, though yesterday Sobey also over-dribbled and help up the game almost as much. He's just better offensive value than DeLeon. Team actually looked better with Doyle carrying & distributing the ball.

However, for me the big issue was the decision making on offence. There was minimal ball movement in the half court and everyone seemed to want to dribble the ball into the paint - even DeLeon when he knew Hodgson was in there and in the form of his life. And the number of times Johnson was in the keyway facing the basket from two metres away under minimal pressure and gave up a nice short jump shot option to force some crazy pass down low or try to find an opponent to lean on and attempt some sloppy one-handed finger-roll or leaning hook ... spare me.

The defence - particularly perimeter defence - was poor as it has been for years, but for me it was the hero ball by DeLeon and Sobey and the atrocious decision making in attack - and on the bench - that were the big issues.

On the question of bench [coach] decision making [which goes beyond Joey, by the way] - just what does McVeigh have to do to get a reasonable time on court? I was impressed by what he showed - and did - in his very few minutes yesterday but he was ignored [or overlooked] for the rest of the game despite, for example, Johnson lite getting [relatively] extended time. [And yes, I know they play different roles/positions.]

Reply #713863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide don't have anyone who leads or plays good defence. They can’t get stops, Gliddon is a very good player but Drimic made him look like lebron James.
Lemanis has to get the ball out Cadee hands in big moments as well, nearly cost them the game with dumb shots and turnovers.

Reply #713866 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Re: Cadee, as a Kings fan I've been critical of him for years, but he's definitely got a role in the NBL - a bench sparkplug/1st guard off the bench. If he knocks down a few 3s, leave him out there, if he misses a few, sub him out and try again next game. His shot is too streaky to overlook all the faults in his game.

I'd hoped he would stick around on our bench this season, but to be honest I think Adnam provides that scoring punch with more consistency - and I think Adnam works a lot harder on D, too.

Reply #713868 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Bullets see Cadee's value more in his ability to run the offence, rather than just as a scorer where he is streaky. Cadee has played that role under Lemanis since the 2013 WUG and has performed well, so I imagine there is a fair bit of faith in his read of the game and understanding of the system.

Reply #713875 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That said, while he is doing that well so far this season, the fact he isn't hitting shots and is a poor defender means he's been more of a negative so far for the Bullets than a positive.

Reply #713876 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Agreed, AngusH, I had my doubts about Adnam and had wished the cadee could have seen the benefit of coming off the bench for teh Kings, but I think Adnam has played his role really well and defensively is a huge step up...

Reply #713889 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Even though our 6ers lost,i really enjoyed the game.

Reply #713895 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Joey needs to hit up his contacts and secure you a "Next Star". A good young import, paid for by Lazza, could be just what you need.

Reply #713925 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Joey needs to hit up his contacts and secure you a "Next Star". A good young import, paid for by Lazza, could be just what you need.

That was essentially what we got with T-Ferg, then apparently we signed the transfer payments before compensation was paid.

Then we decided to play Supreme Court hard ball with Mitch's contract.

Reply #713933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey was thoroughly out-coached, again.

In Thursday's loss, he pointed to the lack of defensive intensity and put the blame squarely on the players. Give me a spell. How about stop this stupid switching nonsense so players can be held accountable for their direct opponent defensively?! You are putting your players under immense pressure after one screen. Our smalls are left fighting under the basket and you can see the rest of the team recognising the mismatch soand suck into the paint and over help, which exposes driving lanes, long close outs, open 3s and give them a runway at the O boards. This is okay for a period, but not the entire game!

The switching defence gave Brisbane plenty of opportunities at O boards because guys like Vukona, Bairstow and Te Rangi mauled our smaller guards on rebounds. Creek, Childress and Shorter were perfect for this system - all were quick enough to hang with the guards and strong enough to bang with the bigs. Deng, Drmic, Delon, Doyle, McVeigh are not! They are either too little or too weak. Froling is probably a little slow too.

And why was Larkins on the court Thursday, even for a second?! If you want to play a tiny guard, play Doyle or Deleon! And then he bobs up again in the presser. What an embarrassment.

So in response to our defensive scheme Thursday, what does Joey do? Benches our best defender (Teys, you’ve shut me up this year!), inserts the 60kg midget... and keeps switching!

And then makes another brilliant second half substitute and plays another woefully unskilled player who manages to embarrass himself in record time!

The last play of the game was just bizarre as well. I honestly didn’t expect much, but having Deleon inbound the ball is just pure stupidity.

Let’s hope we can get back on track against our favourite opponent Saturday. Moore needs to play for us to be a chance.

Reply #714035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing Larkins can do is jump up from the bench and wave his towel around whenever Adelaide scores.

He steps on the court too, which is an automatic technical foul. But hey, refs like Toni Caldwell never take notice.

Reply #714227 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Unlike Mayberry? Haven't noticed him tech fouling anyone for stepping over the side line but he often seems to spend more time watching the benches and waving his arms in the air trying to get players to sit down than looking at what's going on on court.

Reply #714242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Pop

You forgot to mention him spending half of his time watching replays.

Reply #714263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shout out to Jack Toft for always creating such brilliant, unique game threads.

Reply #714268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garfield the cat works harder on defence.

Reply #714385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:49 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754