Under 16 Boys 1:
10:45 DH Dome 3 Sturt Sabres (1) V (2) West Adelaide

Semi Sturt 57 def. West Adelaide 55
Rd. 19 Sturt 50 def. West Adelaide 47
Rd. 10 Sturt 48 def. West Adelaide 45
Rd. 1 Sturt 48 drew to West Adelaide 48

Summer Premiers: Sturt Sabres
State Champs Premiers: West Adelaide Bearcats

A battle again between arguably the best two teams in this grade across the year. Once again these two clubs have built a healthy rivalry in the boys over the past two or three years and that will continue once again on Sunday. West Adelaide started their finals road on week one against the Rockets. A hard fought 51-47 win put them up against the Sabres for a guaranteed Grand Final berth. While the game was of a very high standard it was focused around both teams defensive styles. The much maligned West zone at one end, the high energy constrictive Sturt man on man defence down the other. With that came a loss of focus from the Bearcats and a lead to the Sabres. Through some sound decision making and big shots West fought their way back into the game only to fall short by 2 points at the final siren. Sturt needing just the one game to head into the Grand Final. West were forced to back up on Sunday, once again against the Rockets. West pulled out the win 45-39 in what has been labelled the battle of the zones. (What a shame to not see Carlo and his boys around, I've got nothing left to stir you up over mate!)

And so to the Grand Final. Sturt's frontline has been bolstered in the run home by the return of big man Claybrin McMath. I'm sure State Coach Paul Arnott and will rue his unavailability at this years Nationals. Next to McMath inside will be S.A. Metro PF Keegan Brooksby. One of the hardest working big juniors I've seen Brooksby will pull in plenty of boards against the West tall timber. They'll be supported mostly by impressive bottom age Peter Leijs. They'll go up against West's numerous bigs including S.A. Country rep and bottom age Billy Wilson. Injury will mean the Bearcats won't be at full strength but they still have plenty of bangers to do the work inside. The Sabres backcourt will be lead by Ben Yeomans. The PG controls the Sabres on court tempo and hustles like few others. Next to him will be a number of talented 2/3 men including some very gifted bottom ages. State Metro reserve Josh Bond will share PG duties with James Curyer. But West's strength would be in their 2/3 men sweet shooters Nathan Humphries (SA Country) and Kurtis Phillips (SA Metro). If either light up they're an impressive and entertaining site to see and much will rely on how much they and to a lesser extent Bond can score from outside.

West by 2.

Under 16 Girls 1:
10:45 DH Dome 2 Norwood Flames (2) V (3) West Adelaide

Qual Norwood 49 def. West Adelaide 27
Rd. 15 West Adelaide 56 def. Norwood 33
Rd. 6 West Adelaide 57 def. Norwood 38

Summer Premiers: North Adelaide Rockets
State Champs Premiers: North Adelaide Rockets

A new premier will be added to the 2005 list with the #1 seeded Rockets bombing out of the finals series in two straight losses. Both West Adelaide and Norwood played impressively against the Rockets and earned their places in this final. Norwood began their finals quest with a comfortable win against the Bearcats. In the semi the Flames finally got a win over the Rockets, 50-38. That win put them straight into this Grand Final. I have no doubt they were expecting to again face the Rockets but West got in the way of that. The Bearcats bounced back from their first round finals loss to cast aside a very dangerous Eastern Mavs line-up in their Semi (yeah the 'smiling assassin' is most disappointed for you Madgen,) to continue on to meet the Rockets for a Grand Final berth. While I wasn't in attendance I'm told it appeared the Bearcats simply wanted it more, and out played North for a 50-33 victory.

I must admit I am totally unprepared for this. I wrongly assumed this would be a Flames v Rockets final. In their defence though the Bearcats have done a lot of work building a big, effective side around the superb Rebecca Riggs. Teegan Coombes' year was good enough for a look in with the S.A. Country squad and the Bearcats bigs will hold the key to any success they may have in this game. On the other side the Flames line-up includes many names with guards Kirsty Adamek and Jordan Walker-Roberts and bigs Amy Fisher and Jessica Von Einem coming off a disappointing National Championships with the S.A. Metro side. Underestimate the Bearcats at your peril but I just like this group too much to tip against them here at the end of it all.

Norwood by 10.

Under 16 Boys 2:
8:30 Wayville 3 Sturt Sabres 1 (1) V (4) North Adelaide

Rd. 17 Sturt 1 59 def. North Adelaide 38
Rd. 6 Sturt 1 41 def. North Adelaide 36

Summer Premiers: Sturt Sabres 1
State Champs Premiers: Sturt Sabres 1

The Sabres have tasted plenty of success this year and should end the basketball year with another title on Sunday.

North Adelaide have come through from 4th position to make the Grand Final and would be full of confidence after a strong couple of weeks. A close Qualifying Final win against West was followed by a 5 point win over the #3 ranked Sturt 2 side. Most impressive of all was their Preliminary Final win over Norwood 44-32.

Top seeded Sturt 1 have had an easy ride to the Grand Final needing only a comfortable win over Norwood 61-30 in the Semis to get here.

Sundays match-up. North at full strength pushed the Sabres earlier in the season and in their current form could have the Sabres a little worried. North do have a smart coach in Kevin Rock, some good size and a more then capable back court maybe even capable of pulling off an upset. The Sabres didn't get this far for no reason either though and have one of the best non Division 1 coaches (for 4 more days,) in Jarrod Clarke as well as some of the best bottom age players in Adelaide.

Sturt by 14.

Under 16 Girls 2:
9:30 Wayville 1 Sturt Sabres 2 (2) V (1) North Adelaide 1

Semi Sturt 2 38 def. North Adelaide 1 37
Rd. 17 Sturt 2 40 drew with North Adelaide 1 40
Rd. 6 Sturt 2 29 def. North Adelaide 1 24

Summer Premiers: Sturt Sabres
State Champs Premiers: Sturt Sabres

If this Final is anything like their Semi it will definitely be a highlight of the day. Two talented teams went head to head and only after overtime did Sturt sneak out a win. Another div 2 side to benefit from Sturt's rotation system with experienced coach Marcus Wong at the helm. The Sabres finals have included wins against Norwood in the first round and that infamous win against the Rockets in the Semi. North backed up strongly after that loss to also beat the Flames.

Sturt by 3.

Topic #4422 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

RJ which game are you reffing this sunday

Reply #51441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great job RJ bring on 18's and 20's

Reply #51464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norths front court is gr8 for the point guard has carried the team all year and he will do this to a win sunday..

Reply #51520 | Report this post

shoota  
Years ago

Rocky is a legend 21 points in the prelim..cracker!! Go north! Jack is kool too.

Reply #51526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh yea rocky gr8 player and jack is also gr8 butjordy is the best 18/1s at forestville next year and you no it

Reply #51528 | Report this post

ROCKY  
Years ago

stop talkin bout me i aint gonna make or break the game it all deppends on how we play.

Reply #51747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think RJ was spot on with this line in his preview of the U16 Girls final

"Underestimate the Bearcats at your peril"

Reply #51899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

west girls showed true character and fantastic team work in a gutsy 6 pts down start of the last quarter to win by 4
well done girls!!!!

Reply #51941 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Well done to West girls on a fantastic game. Well played by a team not given a chance to win the premiership at the start of the year.

Reply #52032 | Report this post

sWeEt ChiLd  
Years ago

well wat bout da girls div.2 game wat a cracker. All of dere games have been gr8. I tipped north all da way n dey didnt let me down. Dey were in trap da whole game n dey were superb although sturt came back in da final quarter north dominated still, with there good rebounding talls to there gr8 guards it was a gr8 game 2 watch.
congrats 2 north though and well done 2 sturt ona good season aswell!

Reply #52063 | Report this post

sWeEt ChiLd  
Years ago

hey rj wen u gonna put da results of evry1 on da site?????

Reply #52068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the 2006 u16 finals will be interesting

STURT BY 140

Reply #52081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

damn right sturt has some of the best bottom agers in adelaide....i have no idea why those kids were not immediately pushed into a division one spot

Reply #52082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the west girls were great again, withstood Norwood's pressure in the first half and then turned the screws on them in the second with some amazing and intense defense, it may not have been pretty but damn they got the job done.....

do they always have only 7 players, sure i have seen them with 9 at times

looked like all played well, especially in the second half when everyone was playing in your face D, and of course that #13 was outstanding as usual, and the bigs were strong in the paint, but damn that #6 was awesome, must have nearly had 20 points and from some people i spoke to she has done that over each of the last 3 finals, looks like a super player with great athletism...

well done west, an amazing effort

Reply #52089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if sturt are that good then why didnt they beat idv 2 north team or make the finals in the div 1s.

Reply #52100 | Report this post

crystal ball  
Years ago

they defeated north 3 or 4 other times during the year.

div 1s needed to train more as a team, had the talent - but not the full cohesion required to win div 1 comp - they had about 6 country players - word is they will have about 7 country players this upcoming season in div 1

Reply #52106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea but when they beat north it was by only 1 or 2 points and they drew 1 time aswell. but in melbourne carnival north beat them by 15 n now by 17. So your telling me that sturt pretty much wont do wat it takes to get better in div 1 they will sit there and let themselves get beaten.
Also crystal ball are you a sturt player.

Reply #52255 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

im just wanting to know how may of the west team will be in u18's next year.

Reply #52261 | Report this post

oooooooooooooo  
Years ago

5 of them

Reply #52265 | Report this post

oooooooooooooo  
Years ago

4 first years stay in 16s

Reply #52266 | Report this post

Mature Tawny Port  
Years ago

The sturt U16 has 3 first years in the team. Plus according to anonymous' whinge (#52082) "has some of the best bottom agers in adelaide....i have no idea why those kids were not immediately pushed into a division one spot" add those players, plus a couple of U14 players. This will be one strong team

Reply #52270 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:49 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754