All the games will be hard fought nail biters

Topic #44233 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You're the cracker, OP

Reply #714304 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I can see Adelaide fans being annoyed with this thread.

Reply #714310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth and United fans have to be the most arrogant fan bases going around

Reply #714312 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I can see NZ, Brisbane or Sydney fans being upset with this thread, too

Probably only two teams I'd write out of contention at this stage. The other 6 could all conceivably contest the GF or indeed, win the title.

Agree that Perth and United look the two favourites though.

Reply #714313 | Report this post

Perf Werld  
Years ago

LOL at this thread. Perth vs runner up will not be a nail biter. Don't u know how many titles we have? How many does your team have? We also have the most fans in attendance and the most refs so good luck.

Reply #714315 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Remember last season that Melbourne was terribly inconsistent, Perth looked destined to be champs, NZ looked destined to be champs, Adelaide looked horrible... all during the regular season.

Reply #714316 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hahahaha, I'm loving this bizarro world version of me. Keep it up.

Reply #714325 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

No teams at the moment are untouchable that you could guarantee their appearance in a GF.

Perth have a good record, but many of these are home games, and we've seen how they faded against Brisbane.

Conversely, I wouldn't count out anyone from making the GF now.

Brisbane, touted to be last or second last have beaten Perth, NZ in NZ and Adelaide in Adelaide...who would have predicted that?

Cairns are bottom but they have Trimble and if Hall steps up to be even an average import, they would have won a couple of those games.

Sydney continues to tease us with what they are capable of, they could be due to take off, we don't know.

Adelaide should improve significantly when Moore is fully healthy again, add him to a beasting Sobey and DJ with a very handy Wiley, look out for that NBL!

This year is very exciting, no certainties at all.

Reply #714339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only teams I would rule out at this stage are Cairns, Illawarra, Adelaide and Brisbane.

Reply #714340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you've virtually ruled everyone out

Reply #714350 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If you think 4 out of 8 is virtually everyone then yes anon ruled most teams out!

Reply #714351 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Only teams I would rule out at this stage are Cairns, Illawarra, Adelaide and Brisbane.

Did you miss Brisbane's recent scalps of Perth, NZ and Adelaide, 2 of which were away? What about Gliddon’s and Te Rangi’s improvement. What about Bairstow now coming back to full health?

Cairns, Illawarra are a little behind but I feel are one improved piece away from catching up the ladder. My examples would be Hall rising to the mean of an average import, and Cedric Jackson rediscovering some of his form. Conklin is still very capable and Blanchfield has improved remarkably. I wouldn’t feel comfortable counting either of them out.

With Adelaide, of course I am biased, but a team with Sobey, DJ, Moore, Wiley, and a good bench of Drmic, Deng, Froling. I have purposely excluded stating Teys and Deleon for fear of upsetting others.

Overall, I would not count any of the above out of making the playoffs.

Reply #714352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The four teams ruled out are for the championship, not so much making finals. Brisbane or Illawarra could well make it into the top four, but will not progress to the Grand Final, and I doubt they'd win it this season.

Perth, NZ, Melbourne and Sydney are all legit chances of winning the whole thing

Reply #714370 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Its clear that Melb and Perth are early frontrunners but along way to go so will see if others can make a run.
Sydney are a threat if they make roster adjustments. That's a big IF.

Reply #714374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is basically done. He will takes months to come to full fitness if at all.
Wagstaff is already tiring quickly, no way he plays out the season at this level.
Jervis is out of favour.
Gleeson is riding Cotton and Kay to death.
White is looking like a bad copy of Beal. Only top scores by taking 3 times as many shots.

Conclusion, Perth will once again fade badly towards the end of the season.

I'm a Wildcats Fan, but I don't think they'll make it.

Their best hope is that Martin gets ruled out for the season, and the use that slot to bring in a top gun PG.

Reply #714416 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'm sorry but I just can't buy what United are offering us this season, I'm not sure if I'm influenced by them going to overtime (instead of winning in regulation) so they are working harder than other clubs or if it's because Dwayne Russell gets excited seeing them tap the ball out of bounds and he makes watching United games draining.

I agree with a lot of the posts above, Cairns have got off to a rough start but they have some very good parts and will get better the more that they play together (so far no double headers). Trimble is a flat out baller and Newbill is close to player of the month in October.

Illawarra simply have too many players that 'have been there, done that' so I'm expecting them to improve also.

NZ are a scary team to come up against as they could win or lose by 20 any match... that game against Perth they should have led by 15 for most of the first 3 quarters.

Brisbane are still trying to find their identity and Patterson and Bairstow will become unstoppable in 2019 and Gliddon seems to be flourishing as the go to guy (which may change as the above improve) so they could be a contender for sure.

Sydney playing Perth in the grand final series was my tip prior to the season starting and that hasn't changed even if David Wear is a complete waste of court time.

Adelaide don't impress me at all, I know this talks about the refereeing but they seem more concerned with the calls or lackthereof instead of playing basketball and Drmic is a bigger headcase than Sobey. Good luck to 36ers fans but I just can't trust this team and Wiley needs to start crashing the boards.

Reply #714419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see the Flint Tropics making it they have a great shot at 4th place, Jackie Moon is an innovator of the game with the intro of the alley-oop and bringing back the under arm free-throws in game, they have a great starting 5 Clarence Withers and ex-NBA player Ed Monix which Jackie got for a washing machine

All jokes aside i see the Kings, Melbourne, Perth and NZ getting in the top 4 and close to the end

I think it might be Melbourne v Kings in the end but can see any mix of the 4 above

Reply #714430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are quite a few NBA guys and European guys who just got cut from rosters who are still quality players the Kings could bring in who would fit there style more than Wear

Reply #714431 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Randle, Cotton, Childress, Boone, Ware.

5 players who joined their teams mid season in recent years.

This is why threads like this are pretty pointless right now.

Reply #714444 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Very true LV, although out of interest I think only one of those played on a championship team, and they were the defending champions.

Reply #714445 | Report this post

Perf Werld  
Years ago

We have won more titles than anyone else.

Make room for championship number 9 in the cabinet. If we get home court advantage, it will be over before it starts. The refs get paid handsomely to rig games in our favour.

Reply #714449 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fair point Paul.

Although there have been other examples, like Donta Smith replacing Cortez Groves with the South Dragons in 2009.

Reply #714451 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Another example is Lampley replacing Muursepp at the Tigers in 2008.

Reply #714453 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Donta Smith, good get, you'd still have nightmares about him I reckon!

Reply #714467 | Report this post

Perf Werld  
Years ago

so many cheap knockoffs these days for example reply #714449
check for the Perf Werld avatar to know that you are reading the original and best Perthworld tribute account. I mean yes fake Perf Werld is partly right we all know the refs are our buddies over here but they don't get paid handsomely lol actually they are cheap compared to a wildcats membership.

Reply #714480 | Report this post

No I am the real Perf Werld! No I am the real Perf Werld! No I am the real Perf Werld! No I am the real Perf Werld! No I am the real Perf Werld! No I am the real Perf Werld!

Reply #714491 | Report this post

Apart from Adelaide, Cairns & Illawara I'd say the GF is open to anyone this season

Reply #714503 | Report this post

I am honoured that you guys are copying my account, but cut it out!

Reply #714509 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Donta 2009 was indeed the stuff of nightmares

Although on the flipside, 2008 was one of my best basketball memories, travelling to Sydney and then watching Lampley hit the game winner!

Grumpy old Sydney lady physically hit a Tigers fan in the row in front of me after the game. You can see it in the background of the TV footage of one of the players getting interviewed. No word of a lie.

Good times!

Reply #714519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, I call BS

Reply #714523 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's not BS. It was pretty big news in online NBL circles when it happened. LV is old school like me.

I remember back in 2009 we were in an entirely different landscape - Kings fans were the most arrogant fans back then after enduring being Violet Crumbles for so long and then getting Goorj and three-peating. So so arrogant until their club went under.

Reply #714539 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"check for the Perf Werld avatar to know that you are reading the original and best Perthworld tribute account"

♪♫♬ May I have your attention, please?
May I have your attention, please?
Will the real Perthworld please stand up?
I repeat, will the real Perthworld please stand up?
We're gonna have a problem here ♪♫♬

Reply #714540 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Someone must have the recording...

Reply #714542 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LV remember the sheer arrogance of Kings fans?

Reply #714546 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Also there was another incident in the '03 GF G2 in Perth - female Kings fan went feral on Wildcats supporters. Too long ago to remember exactly what happened. Man, how times have changed.

Reply #714548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

love to see stats of championship teams that brought in imports mid-season vs those that had imports for a whole season.

Marcus Timmons was one of the GOAT mid-season import signings. His 2000 grandfinal performance is still the best by a single player for a Wildcats team.

Reply #714551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers have been consistently inconsistent at the start of every season under joey wright getting better as the year goes on expect for the 2013/14 season.

2013/14 started 7W-1L
2014/15 Started 3W-9W-lose 7 straight games
2015/16 started 7W-9L- Won 7 of next 8 before Randle got injury
2016/17 Started 3W-6L- lose 4 in row were considered the worst team in the NBL
2017/18 Started 8W-8L-Won 10 of last 12 to finish second.

Reply #714571 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Marcus Timmons was one of the GOAT mid-season import signings. His 2000 grandfinal performance is still the best by a single player for a Wildcats team.

Better than a 45 point performance by some random called Cotton?

Reply #714573 | Report this post

ADH  
Years ago

No not even close

Reply #714576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton's 45 was great, but Timmons performance is more iconic in my view.

Reply #714578 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Feaster was damn good in 2003 as well. Shame about the rest of the team.

Reply #714583 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Timmons' haul was way more valuable, we needed it vs. the mighty Titans in a three game series. Meanwhile Cotton's game was against a hapless Hawks in a best of five who were one of the worst Grand Final teams of all time along with the 2010 Hawks funnily enough.

Reply #714600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United stinks

Reply #714625 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Marcus Timmons was one of the GOAT mid-season import signings. His 2000 grandfinal performance is still the best by a single player for a Wildcats team."

He did it in 97 with the Tigers too, the ultimate mid-season guy!

Reply #714644 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Maybe all these Tigers championships with mid season signings is telling us something. Could be an omen for Kennedy....

Even last season, many would say the injury to Prather was the moment United started turning their season around. Of course Felix didn't stay….but him and Moller were crucial in the stretch the established the team

Moral of the story- there’s plenty ahead of us in NBL 18/19! It's early days....

Reply #714693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greatest jinx thread ever. United lost and Perth are on the verge of a 0-2 weekend

Reply #714849 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754