Years ago

Nbl countdown/nbl wrap—- 12 minute quarters

Wasn't the 10 minute quarters bought in because fox sports wanted to keep it under 2 hours .... now we have a pre game show and a post game show - we only need one show a week so take them away and allocate that time to allow for 12 minute quarters it will make the game more enjoyable seeing 40/50 point games from players triple doubles etc that’s what we want to see

Topic #44243 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought they were dumped as part of the move to a fully FIBA sanctioned league

Reply #714590 | Report this post

Dr. basketball  
Years ago

Blokes would score a bit more if the game as longer

Reply #714593 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Exactly. It was a stupid change by a weak BA to appease a pissant broadcaster who had prior history screwing the league over. All the stats are up in flames.

Reply #714596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ONLY the NBA has 12 minute quarters ffs gtf over it

Reply #714598 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nope. Our friends in the Philipines play 12x4 too. Where's Carl?

Reply #714602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What stats are up in flames?

Reply #714607 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

48min stats. Can't compare anymore.

Reply #714608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you need to?

Reply #714609 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Really? Okay. To measure against past performance.

Reply #714631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You need to compare because you need to compare?

Reply #714640 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I personally much prefer 40 minute games. Firstly, it encourages more intense basketball. Secondly, I like that we are in line with FIBA. Thirdly, I really don't need an extra 8 minutes, especially with all the other basketball viewing options with easy access to view NBL, NBA and the extra internationals introduced by FIBA.

On-demand streaming has helped save a lot of viewing time. The 10 second fast-forward option adopted by NBL.tv has been great to bring the viewing experience closer to NBA streaming. If you use that feature wisely to cut out non-fastbreak transition play, you can watch the near-equivalent to full games in about 30 minutes.

NBA is ridiculous in the number of games played and the 48 minutes. While the most talent plays in the NBA, the intensity of NBA regular season games is underwhelming. Even if you want to follow one NBA team, who has the time to watch all their games?

Reply #714641 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We watch pro sport to see historic performances and records broken. I'm as NBL as they come but even I can't tell you what they are now due to the inconsistency in game lengths. A lot of history has gone by the wayside. And now we have to use the disclaimer of "in the 40min era" which is awkward. All this because BA are incompetent and Ten are a shitty network. What a waste.

Reply #714645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just read Perthworld's post history and saw plenty of broken records.

Reply #714648 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sick burn anon.

Reply #714649 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

One could wonder if we changed it back to 40 minutes because people couldn't compare the history when some wannabe thought we should change it to 48 minutes from the original 40 minute games.

If you want to compare, maybe we should consider going back to 20 minute halves.

Reply #714651 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"I really don't need an extra 8 minutes"
Wow, OT games must really piss you off

Serious question, when was the last Triple Double?
Surely they would be more acheiveable in 48 minutes.

Only good thing about 40 minutes is that Fisher's record will never be broken

Reply #714658 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Why do people get all sandy-in-vagina at people who prefer the old 48 minutes? I prefer 48, and that's that. rjd prefers 40 and explained why and I have no problem with that. Yet anytime there is a pro-48er anons come at them.

Reply #714659 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Serious question, when was the last Triple Double?"

Two weeks ago...

Reply #714663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because you made out that 40 minutes is the stupidest thing ever, and when asked to explain why you don't like 40 minutes you said because you can't compare comparisons.

Why are you such a dick?

Reply #714665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We've had 10 minutes quarters for 9 seasons now, the history book argument doesn't exactly work now because if we go back we'd end up ignoring those 9 seasons.

Reply #714668 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The rarity of triple-doubles in a 40 minute game is a two-sided coin. On one hand you can argue that it hardly ever happens, so it is almost missing from the 40 minute game. On the other hand, look at the NBA now. Remember when triple-doubles were a particularly special achievement in the NBA? Now with the NBA's increased pace, a love affair with 3-pointers and long rebounds, and the odd notoriously stat-padding superstar, it's become a regular achievement. Both arguments are meaningless if you realize that the perception of great achievements become scaled.

"Wow, OT games must really piss you off"
Haha, and you must feel dissatisfied by 3 minutes when the NBL has a single-OT game? ;-)

Reply #714669 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I said BA changing it at the request of One/Ten was stupid.

Reply #714673 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

And even though I'm apparently a dick I will concede we can't change back as it would be ridiculous as #668 has pointed out. What's done is done but I guess I'm like Cram when it comes to this as he is with Tigers becoming United - can't quite get over it.

I watch a lot of sport as a side gig but basketball mostly limited to NBL and a little NBA and never thought about time management until what rjd wrote above about following multiple leagues and cutting to the chase and I can appreciate his viewpoint even more now. Much more useful than being called a name. Imagine having to watch NBA daily with 48mins+timeouts etc. Ouch.

Reply #714675 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It changed before the Ten deal...

And yeah, the argument that record-breaking, 40- or 50-point games will be rare is silly. They're only special if they're rare.

Reply #714677 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Didn't Ten ask for 40mins before signing the broadcast deal with BA? It was one of their stipulations and BA were super desperate.

Reply #714678 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Games moved to 40 minutes when BA took over in 2009. The Ten deal wasn't until 2010.

Reply #714680 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

What about if just playoff games were 48 mins?

Reply #714683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets all meet in the middle and play 11 min qtrs

Reply #714688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The main benefit would be 6 personal fouls (which I would like to see in 40-min professional leagues anyway).

If we went back to 48-min, we would just see more penalty FTs, not necessarily more good basketball.

Reply #714690 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

6 fouls in 48 minutes is exactly the same as 5 fouls in 40 minutes.

Reply #714691 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The lack of time to watch a lot of games now is why I only watch about 1 NBL game a month. If I'm limited in the number of games I can watch, NBL just doesn't justify taking that precious time when I don't have a team interest.

With Foxtel Now adding ESPN's NBA games to their on demand platform it has made it easier for me to watch NBA games during the week when I can squeeze it in. A couple of youtube accounts do those 10 minute recaps with all of the baskets which is how I watch most Raptors games and any other games of note for the day. These aren't perfect - I'd prefer them to cut out a lot of the mundane baskets and add in some more full defensive sequences.

Reply #714692 | Report this post

@Perthworld

The change to 40 minutes pre-dated any TV deal. The league wanted to fall in line with the FIBA standard. Look what happens when international tournaments are played - they are 40 minute games.

The NBA are an authority unto themselves, they don't answer to FIBA. So they kept the 48 minute game.

And just remember the NBL was originally 40 minutes until 1984.

Me thinks you didn't do much research!

Reply #714701 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Wasn't happy when the 40min change first came in but have had 9 years to get used to it.
40mins is commonplace everywhere except NBA.

People shouldn't over think stats like 40pt games etc just enjoy the game.

Reply #714703 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Two hour games is sweet for fans, TV and everyone else. Cheaper rental too, less time needed to hire venues, traffic controls, security etc etc etc.

Reply #714705 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I wasn't a fan of the move to 40 minutes, and probably would prefer to go back to 48, but I can see the arguments to stay at 40, but I don't see it as being a huge deal.

Reply #714724 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Me thinks you didn't do much research!"

Me thinks it was nine years ago. That's like thirty in Perth years.

Reply #714730 | Report this post

Perf Werld  
Years ago

actually for perth people 9 years ago is 4 championships ago but yes for everyone else 4 championships ago must feel like infinity lol

Reply #714735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Me thinks it was nine years ago."

Before you were born then?

Reply #714736 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Gotta love how people dismiss and trivialise all the comments in favour of 48 minutes, without putting forth a single one in favour of 40.

My understanding is that pretty much the only reason for 40 minutes is to align with FIBA. But why?
What's the point?
In any serious FIBA game, our players are coming from the NBA an Europe. The only time our NBL players dominate is in the ridiculous qualifiers against pissants like the Philippines.

Reply #714783 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So, most FIBA games then?

Almost half the league's seasons have been 40 minutes now, the statistical argument doesn't carry much weight.

If you're going to say that "it's the FIBA rule" is an insufficient reason, then why aren't we discussing changing the number of players on the court, or the court dimensions, or the number of points each basket is worth?

Reply #714785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lower the rim by 6 inches = more dunkz!!

Reply #714821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why stop at 48 minutes? Test match basketball. Five days of action. Quadruple triples galore.

Reply #714823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think of how high the scores would be! Everyone would be so impressed with that because higher scores means a better game.

Reply #714824 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Each team can nominate a power play quarter and get double points in that qtr.

Reply #714825 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Thanks, as always, for proving my point Kobe Wallah.
"Almost Half" So in fact less than half and most have been 48 minutes. Great logic there.

I feel the only real argument in favour of most regs following FIBA rules is that most guys who move around, will be going to & from FIBA leagues. (Assuming EuroCup etc follow FIBA regs)
Obviously that excluded guys from the NBA and G League.

That's why you want the court and the playing rules to be the same.

But what does player minutes matter? A guy who averaged 15 minutes of the bench in Europe, may become a starter in the NBL so they have to adapt to however the coach wants to use them anyway.

Must say, I also preferred the longer breaks. Not even time for a piss at quarter time.

Who recalls the ole "TV time-outs"?

Reply #714829 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was in the 1960s and the americans thought that the game would inevitably go to 12 foot rings , as it looked easy at 10 foot.....

Reply #714830 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Thanks, as always, for proving my point Kobe Wallah.
"Almost Half" So in fact less than half and most have been 48 minutes. Great logic there.
My point is that whichever way you go, a huge chunk of the league's history used the other format. So statistical consistency isn't a good argument.

I feel the only real argument in favour of most regs following FIBA rules is that most guys who move around, will be going to & from FIBA leagues.
So the fact that those are what the rules are isn't a good enough reason?

Must say, I also preferred the longer breaks. Not even time for a piss at quarter time.
Quarter time breaks have been the same length since 1996.

As to the premise of the OP, the reason for the time slot extension is to prevent games running over their time slots, which was happening a lot last season. Even now games are running well into the "NBL Wrap" portion of the broadcast frequently.

Reply #714836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As we saw in the NBL/NBA games, NBL players aren't capable of playing 48 minutes.

Reply #714916 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:58 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754