Isaac
Years ago

Butler traded for Covington and Saric

Minnesota also included Patton and the 76ers included Bayless and a second round pick.

Should be interesting...

Topic #44270 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Don't know how I feel about this for Philly. I think Saric and Covington are a decent haul for Minny though. It's not like for like (at all), but Saric is talented and Covington in theory is a great 3pt shooter, just a bit too inconsistent for my liking.

Reply #715413 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Butler is a star, let's not get it twisted. This is a great deal for the Sixers and I dare say Jimmy will want to stay long term. He'll give the Sixers that mongrel they need, much like Draymond Green does for GSW

Reply #715414 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Both teams won the trade imo

Reply #715434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was supposed to be perfect fit for Wolves too but how did that turn out. On paper a good fit but will circus follow him? Had problems with a talented but goofy young centre and an up and coming number 1 pick, jealousy? And anything sound familiar in Philadelphia?
I think he'll behave himself until he gets paid then become a diva again. Not sure about trade, keeps Saric and Covington then add free agent(s) in off season and they keep up with Celtics arms race. Bet they kept that pick they through in to get Fultz.

Reply #715439 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Bad move. They've gone from a team focus built around getting enough ball to everyone to more of an iso focus. I doubt if there will be enough ball for both Butler and Embiid. The only value would be in finals time, when stars tend to become critical.

What’s worse is that Butler is a bit of a head case while Saric was a great glue guy who fitted in beautifully alongside Simmons and Embiid.

I rate this a possible success but more likely a bust.

Reply #715443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats the starting lineup now for phillys with 2 starters gone?

Reply #715446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons
Reddick
Butler
Chandler or Muscala
Embiid

Reply #715448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fultz the next one traded

Reply #715449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden could see his minutes go up.

Reply #715451 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Because Butler has been ball dominant in recent years does not mean he will be such on a different team. Simmons is a pure point guard that gets everyone involved. Name me a player like that which Jimmy has played with in the NBA.

The Sixers won't bend to Jimmy's will, it will be the other way around.

Reply #715471 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

When I say 'player like Ben', 'team like the Simmons-run Sixers' is implicit, meaning a team that moves the ball and passes a shit tonne

Reply #715472 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This seems to be a move that old-school superstar-centric fans will enthusiastically endorse, but there is something to be said about the importance of solid role players, depth, and a balanced team. The 76ers great run last year came when they attracted a deeper team with perimeter shooters to compliment Simmons, including veteran Euros who can play in a motion offense. Whereas the 76ers are now taking away depth, adding another ball-centric player who revels in isolation, has started the season by inserting a dysfunctional Fultz in the starting lineup (hopefully only to raise his value for a trade), and relegated their best shooter to the bench.

They need more shooters, not less. Look at today's 76ers game when Embiid put up three 3s in clutch time.

Saric hasn't been great this season so far, but he has been an important and underrated piece to the 76ers past success. Even Brown recognises that his international commitments during the off-season affected him, so it is more a matter of rest rather than not fitting in the system. Then there is Covington, a valuable 3-and-D guy who was in the all-defensive 1st team.

In my mind it is very risky trade and completely depends on what other pieces the 76ers can attract later this season.

Reply #715527 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Covington saric and 2nd rounder is very risky??? Please

If it works great.

If not leaves philly with 2 max options, easy to fill with pf/sf no drama.

Ttp

Reply #715530 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Agree, rjd

I'd also like to be certain that Ben doesn't get forced into a narrower PG role because of instructions to feed Butler, whereas to date he had the freedom to try things by himself.

This trade strikes me as management having a 'lightbulb moment' and then going for it because either they don't trust the coach or the process enough, or they see the makings of a good program but won't wait for another season before the 76ers get into the conference finals. I don't think Brett Brown will have suggested this trade, put it that way. (And I don't think he'll keep his job if they miss the conference finals this season.)

Reply #715533 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The 76ers tried and failed to land a big name during the offseason and with the understanding Butler will likely re-sign I guess they felt this would be as good as they could get.

Reply #715536 | Report this post

All a waste of time.
No one, and i mean NO ONE IS BEATING THE WARRIORS.

Imagine when Cousins gets healthy.

They will have 5 LEGIT players who can bang the 3.

Reply #715538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Warriors are not invincible. If they're healthy for conference finals and finals, they win both. But lose Durant or Curry at the wrong time of year and there are a few teams that would have a decent shot.

I don't think this trade puts Philly in that category, they lost too much in obtaining Butler. But there are a number of potential replacements for Saric that Philly stands a chance of picking up via trade or free agency. Utah and Indiana both have an issue with good front-court guys who struggle to play with their best front-court guy (Favours/Gobert and Turner/Sabonis). Embiid and Simmons give you a fair bit of flexibility in that spot and against most teams you could even play a SF there.

Covington is the sort of player you stand a decent chance of picking up in the draft and developing. It's also possible that the 6ers heard Jabari Parker announce that you don't pay anyone to play defence, watched the first few weeks of this season and realised he's right, and decided Covington is a piece they can live without.

So I'm not sure Philly are better today than they were yesterday, but I think this raises their ceiling.

Reply #715706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good trade by philly they should also just release fultz whose position butler plays

Reply #715985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think fultz will take over from bogut as the worst number 1 pick in nba history

Reply #715986 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

In what world is Bogut the worst number 1 pick?

Reply #715988 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Also butler and fultz don't play the same position at all.

I'd guess starting lineup will be

Fultz
Redick
Butler
Simmons
Embiid

Reply #715989 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Butler will destroy Philly.

The guys has been a problem in recent years and his ego about how good he is verus actual results are way apart!

He is a fringe top 20 NBA player who only gets spoken about as he get's his on bad teams and actual plays D (which is unusual outside of playoffs)

Simmonds should be trying to get traded asap!

Reply #715991 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Anthony Bennett, Kwame Brown, Darko Milicic are draft busts, Bogut was not.

Reply #715994 | Report this post

Io70  
Years ago

I strongly suspect Simmons is going to end up on the Lakers. I don't know how or when, but its going to happen.

Reply #716009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball Ingrams for Simmons

Reply #716012 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Ball Ingram, and anything else you want for Simmons...they might even throw in a Kardashian to sweeten the deal!

Reply #716045 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754