Anonymous
Years ago

Ogilvy

Ogilvy had a solid junior career, with a breakout performance at the junior worlds along with a strong Freshman season at Vanderbilt. The way he was playing saw NBA interest and it appeared he could be anything he wanted to be. But after that, it seemed like a downward spiral... he seemed to peak very early.
For a player with so much natural ability and size, had there ever been a more disappointing career?
He's effectively become a reserve on one of the weaker rosters in the league when he should be dominating. This should be the peak of his career... instead, a waste of talent

Topic #44276 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks that way, as with a lot big kids in junior levels they can dominate but can struggle when they start playing against players there size or bigger.

Reply #715773 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Its disappointing when you consider he is only 30.
I was one (of the minority on the forum) who thought he would have a breakout season.

Cant see his career in NBL lasting much longer at this rate.

Reply #715774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disappointing Careers:
Aaron Trahair
Ben Allen
Andrew Rice

Reply #715775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trahair was definitely disappointing as well considering how highly he was rated as a junior.

Ben Allen is another one but I don't think he’s on the same level as Ogilvy or Trahair. He went to Indiana hyped up as the 'next Bogut’ but didn’t get off the bench. I think he was just hype and he didn’t have the skill. He dominated in juniors only because of his size. When he came up against similar size players with more skill and intensity, he was found out quickly.

Cant say I know too much about Rice...

Ogilvy played very well in the beginning against bigger players at the worlds and Vanderbilt (first year). His mobility was one of his strengths, but he regressed in his Sophmore year and seemed to stop developing

Reply #715824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with everything above. Trahair was supposed to be a messiah.

Reply #715831 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh wow Andrew Rice. Totally forgot about him. Great example. One of his last NBL stints was with the Hawks where it got to the point he couldn't even pass or catch a ball properly anymore. It was like watching a train wreck when he was on court.

Reply #715842 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Simon Dwight, good NBL career, but had the best combination of size and athleticism our league has seen from a local, turned down a guaranteed NBA contract to keep improving in the NBL, which didn't happen.

Reply #715844 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Injuries also played a part in Dwight's regression.

Martin Iti had a great U.S. high school career and was on mock drafts during college but never amounted to anything as a pro.

Ogilvy's career hasn't been a bust so much he has just turned to crap in a short period of time.

Reply #715852 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Dwight doesn't belong in this discussion. He was a solid NBL player.

Reply #715853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey Prather literally ended Ogilvy's career with that dunk in the semis of the 2015-16 season. That season he averaged a career high 16 points, equal career high 8.5 rebounds along with 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks and was one of the stats of the league. It's literally been downhill ever since in every stat category lol.

https://youtu.be/3v0h5v79mb0

Reply #715855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stars of the league*

Reply #715856 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great find. Perth Arena has ruined AJ mentally.

Reply #715860 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Simon Dwight? Disappointing career?

314 games over 10 years and retired as the NBL's all-time leading shotblocker.

Wouldn't say that was disappointing....

Reply #715863 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dwight doesn't belong in this discussion. He was a solid NBL player.
He was more than solid.

Reply #715864 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes, correct kr.

Melbourne Boy are you drunk tonight?

Reply #715868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, Martin Iti! Now that's a name I’ve not heard in a long time, a long time...

I think I’ve always conflated Ogilvy and Luke Nevill - what’s the vibe on the latter’s career?

Reply #715869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even Luke Schenscher

Reply #715871 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Plenty of big guys seem to fail at carving out the pro careers that many thought they would

Ben Pepper? Simon Dwight? Pero Vasiljevic?

Matt Burston I thought would be an absolute beast when he was young. Had solid NBL career but not what I expected.

I'm struggling to think of many examples right now but it feels like there are plenty

Reply #715872 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A few years down the track one wonders if Isaac Humphries will be part of the discussion.
A beast at under 17 level but underwhelmingin college and yes he got NBL rookie of the year but was largely inconsistent.

In his third NBA season Maker hasn't taken many steps forward either.

Reply #715880 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Trahair - although he did have a few good years. Was talked as an nba player once

David close- great junior who didn't do much in nbl

Hunter pirates player who was a nut- forget his name but definitely had the skills, but not the mentally

Been a few more

Bursting career suffered due to numerous ankle injuries. Would have been a star otherwise

Reply #715882 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

@ Yinka Dare are you thinking of Larry Davidson?

Reply #715884 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yinka is thinking of the one and only Geordie Cullen. What a character.

Reply #715894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay tore him up

Reply #715902 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Matt Burston I thought would be an absolute beast when he was young. Had solid NBL career but not what I expected.
He wrecked his ankles in around 03/04 and was never the same. I'd forgotten how damn good he was until recently I watched their game against Sydney from 02/03 and he absolutely tore them apart - 30 points in 25 minutes or something like that. Really disappointing that his body didn't hold up.

Reply #715908 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

fucking hell Geordie Cullen, now that is a name !!

Reply #715915 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yes Burston did have injuries

Pledger may be similar, had one really good year when I thought he was destined for stardom. The year after had some injuries and never turned into a star.

Reply #715918 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I guess bigs are more injury prone. You see it in nba too. Think of Greg Oden, Andrew Bynum, Yao Ming, Embiid (until last season) and others

Reply #715919 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Paul Rogers
Ben Melmeth
Andrew Goodwin
David Stiff
Brett Wheeler
Ater Majok

Geordie Cullen was a good mention though

Reply #715927 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I have always had Ogilvy in my Fantasy team because he has always been good to me but as much as I love the bloke he is a marshmallow, I'd go as far as to say that he is softer than Daniel Kickert and I'm disappointed that having him with Conklin hasn't brought the mongrel out in him... someone get him in a boxing ring and have him throwing some punches and showing some aggression as it's the Ogilvy aggression that has regressed Moreso than his numbers and yeah he was a bloody good player in every stat line.

I love think he will turn it around but he needs to do something about Perth Arena, he will nearly have his jersey retired in there as an opposition player that the Wildcats completely dominated.

I've tipped Illawarra to make playoffs and if they do then this man still has a big role to play in that

Reply #715934 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I really liked Simon Dwight in the NBL, and he had a very good career here, but as far as disappointing in the context of not maximizing potential, he should have played 10 years in the NBA not NBL in my opinion.

Reply #715965 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How does the "struggles once he faces players his own size" argument come into play for Ogilvy when he has had solid NBL seasons?

I wonder if you rely on hustling for blocks and steals, that fades with time. If your primary advantage is your shot, that's still with you for years. Rillie had a 30+ point game at age 38, for example.

How many top shelf seasons did Schenscher have in the NBL?

Reply #715970 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

For me with Ogilvy it's 95% mental, rather than any kind of physical regression. If he does one good thing on the court he'll usually follow it up with another, but a single mistake or if he's manhandled on a possession he goes into his shell and you might as well sub him out. Greg Ostertag comes to mind, after his run in with Shaq.

Reply #715972 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Simon Dwight getting mentions here is crazy. He had a great career. Was one of my favourite opposition players to watch back in the day.

Also, I think the mention of Humphries will eventually look as silly as those people back in the day who rode David Andersen for years after seeing him only as a rookie and ignoring the huge body of work he put in overseas. Humphries is still 20. He'll be fine.

Reply #715984 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Hey I get how highly everyone thinks of Dwight's NBL career, i liked him a lot too, I just think he should have barely had an NBL career, so it's a disappointment he didn't maximize his career and earning potential in the US.

Reply #715995 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

And back on the Ogilvy topic, I agree that it's mostly a mental thing with him, such a big gap between his best and worse.

Reply #715996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know that it's so crazy to mention Humphries here. I mean he's tweeting workouts that seem to be composed mostly of stepbacks and floaters: https://twitter.com/Airmolds/status/1040055141502660609 which I am not sure is going to do him any good in the NBA. And yeah I think after his junior career, Worlds performances, signing with Kentucky, anything less than a Baynes-level impact in the NBA would be a major disappointment. I AM glad he's playing in the G-league, though. He's spent about 3 straight years riding the bench in various places and so G-league might not be the highest standard of competition, but at least he's playing.

Reply #715997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Understand the points being made about Simon Dwight not reaching his full potential but he was still really good in the NBL for a long time.

Ogilvy on the other hand has had 1-2 good seasons max in the NBL and based on his ability/size/athleticism, he should have been the premier Australian big man in the competition for 8-10 years (if NBA or big European offers didn't come his way which he was certainly capable of).

Instead, he’s making up the numbers on average teams. I agree with the comments that it’s 100% mental and that’s why I think he’s been the biggest disappointment.
Good discussion!

Reply #716014 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

We'll see with Humphries, but I think he came about 7-8 years too late with his style of game. Too slow laterally to guard the pick and roll in today's NBA I'd say based on his season in the NBL, so he'll have to be pretty special somewhere else to earn a spot. No reason why he can't go on to have a great basketball career elsewhere, though.

Reply #716016 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

With Humphries Vs Baynes; at the same age Baynes was averaging 5 and 3 in college, before eventually making the NBA 7 years later.

I get the idea of wondering whether he'll achieve his potential, but predicting it or talking about how he 'will be' a disappointment based on a hypothetical future is a bit crazy.

He'll be fine.

Reply #716017 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dench might be worth a mention too. Helliwell? Vandenberg? Anyone remember Sam Harris?

Reply #716039 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Craig McAndrew and Gavin VanderPutten are two I remember that never fulfilled their potential.
Cory Reader.

Reply #716069 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Justin brown!!!

Reply #716093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Leven

Reply #716094 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I feel let down by AJ. Not a hawks fan but have liked the way he USED to contribute [much more than that, actually]. I remember 3 or 4 seasons ago, he, a centre, led the league in steals. He was also a very good/reliable [traditional?] centre [duh!].

I for one, would like to see him regain his old form and playing attitude.

Reply #717573 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754