Food for thought
Years ago

Boomers line up for games against Iran and Qatar

Well, the Boomers have been chosen. And Lemanis is back to his old tricks, picking up guys who either suck or are out of form. What the hell Jason Cadee, Matt Hodgson and Craig Moller are doing on this team is anyone's guess, and how he could justify leaving out Harry Frolling, who has a legitimate shot at making a World Cup or Olympic team in the future is absolutely beyond me.

Make no mistake, we can actually lose to Iraq. And it's shit like this that makes me question him as Boomers coach.

David Barlow
Todd Blanchfield
Angus Bradnt
Jason Cadee
Cam Gliddon
Matt Hodgson
Daniel Johnson
Nick Kay
Mitch McCarron
Craig Moller
Mitch Norton
Nathan Sobey

Topic #44294 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for your thoughts Jay

Reply #716417 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hopefully Lemanis can play his golden child Cadee more than 30mpg thus reducing the risk of injury to Norton.
Feel free to overplay Hodgson too.
Brandt like Goulding should've been given the opportunity to rest for these games.

Reply #716418 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Food for thought. Make no mistake, there's no way in the world the Boomers will lose to Iraq in these qualifiers. They're playing Iran.

;)

Reply #716422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And it's shit like this that makes me question him as Boomers coach."

Just ignore that we finished 4th at the last Olympics then...

Reply #716425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Food for thought. Make no mistake, there's no way in the world the Boomers will lose to Iraq in these qualifiers. They're playing Iran."

hahahahahahhaha fool for thought

Reply #716426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to Moller.

Reply #716427 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

Why doesnt Bogut play in these games ???

Reply #716429 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Personally id swap Cadee and Hodgson out for Drmic who is having a better season than Cadee (or one of the young guards like Naar, Wilson or Grida) and Froling (who puts up basically the same stats in 7mpg less than Hodgson and is in hot form at the moment and has NBA potential.

Other than that I dont mind the rest of this team.

Reply #716430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suppose the risk is that you need some guys familiar with the program (Cadee) so you can't just fill the team with "in form" guys or up and comers.

Reply #716431 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Moller, it's not April 1 is it :)

Reply #716432 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea, but Cadee brings nothing imo and Froling is a talent upgrade on Hodgson

Drmic has also played on these boomers teams previously

So it would only be Froling and Moller who are new to the team

Isn't having 10/12 guys who have played for the Boomers system before enough??

Reply #716433 | Report this post

Bullets Fan  
Years ago

Best case scenario is that Spudee suffers a season ending injury, forcing Lemanis to actually play Holt in Brisbane.

Reply #716434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee must have some dirt on Dre!

Reply #716435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frolling will probably come in for Brandt, I don't see the Wildcats releasing him to play if he's returning from injury in a week or two.

Reply #716436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So now Johnson is in the Sixer faithful have turned their whinging to Froling, who has had one solid NBL game? lol

Reply #716437 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Spudee.

Reply #716439 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Frohling is certainly going nicely in a struggling team, but maybe give him a chance to stabilise a little first. And Hodgson pretty much dominated the 36ERS in his recent game in Adelaide.

As for Cadee - I struggle to see what he brings but it is old news, or at least an established pattern.

The Bogut question is a good one though, although some of the behaviour and attitudes he displays in the NBL environment makes me wonder just how much value he would actually be, 'culturally' at least.

And yes, I know his reputation, and that he is big and can definitely play when he wants to, but some of his carry-on, and the fact that NBL refs seem to let him get away with almost anything [presumably because of 'who he is'] really makes me question how useful he would be on all sorts of levels.

But maybe he would 'rate' an international game more than an NBL fixture and eliminate some of his rubbish. If he didn't I suspect he'd spend most of the time on the bench anyway. But then he'd feel he could help out the coaching staff, I guess.

Reply #716440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's had more than 1 solid game mate.

Reply #716441 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Froling 10p4r in 13mpg

Hodgson 10p6r in 20 mins

Almost the same stats in significantly less minutes than Hodgson

Froling has had more than 1 good game for sure and is already better than Hodgson with way more upside and potential.

Its a no brainer to me.

Reply #716443 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I'd be happy with a depth chart along these lines, although there is no way Cadee is playing 0 minutes.

1 Gliddon(20)/Norton(20)
2 Sobey(20)/McCarron(10)/Gliddon(10)/Cadee(0)
3 Blanchfield(20)/McCarron(15)/Barlow(5)/Moller(0)
4 Kay(25)/Johnson(15)
5 Hodgson(15)/Brandt(20)/Johnson(5)

Reply #716454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should put Adnam, Drmic and Froling in and take out Kay, Norton and Brandt.

Yes its wishful thinking and tongue in cheek.

Reply #716456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was froling in the extended squad? If not they can't use him to replace Brandt. Also he's a rookie. With the experienced big men iran has I would be reluctant to chuck him in there on this game as his first in boomers colours. Also Hodgeson has been doing really well this season and is a known boomers performer.

Reply #716461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possible reasons Cadee was selected:

1. Lemanis owes Cadee money after a series of failed business ventures
2. Lemanis ran over a treasured family pet belonging to Cadee
3. Cadee is dating a family member of Lemanis
4. Cadee cast a voodoo curse over Lemanis, the resulting effect is that Lemanis thinks Cadee is Steph Curry

Reply #716482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Moller, earned your spot with constant performances at both ends of the court. Rest of picks it self on previous results. Lemanis should have a bronze medal if it wasn't for the refereeing, not certain how people can criticise his performance.

Reply #716490 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

#5. Lemanis buys into Heal's ramblings of Cadee is the G.O.A.T

Reply #716493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can eliminate #3.
Cadee is punching well above his weight with both dating and boomers selection.

Reply #716497 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Froling should be in the team.

Get him into the Boomers program, a series like this is the perfect opportunity to get him feeling comfortable in Green and Gold. His ceiling appears higher than Hodgson's (and probably Brandt's too).

Reply #716501 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Can we naturalise Bryce Cotten yet & claim him?!

Apart from Cadee, I love the squad!

Reply #716502 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The reason you keep Hodgson is that he is the one big man on that team who will alter and block shots. Yes, Froling appears to have higher overall skills and upside, but he's not a shot-blocker.

Reply #716511 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree Beantown, they play very different roles. If Froling was going to be in the team it would be probably have to be in Johnson's place as a stretch big, and DJ is ahead of him.

Froling's time will come as his understanding of both ends improves, I suspect he's been earmarked for the post 2020 era, starting with the Asia Cup qualifiers.

Reply #716514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They only have to beat Qatar to qualify for the World Cup so they could send the Taipans and do that.

Reply #716515 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Agree Paul. Look at Froling, Hodgson and Humphries post 2020 as our possible 4's & 5's along with current, [by then] veteran bigs.

As for Hodgson, I knew him first as a [very] raw tall, just learning the game. He was around 15/16 years. His potential looked unfathomable. Went off my radar during college, then, he was in the NBL. Up 'til now, he had not progressed like I'd hoped and expected. Certainly, not in Adelaide. Then Lemanis gets him and, IMO is starting to show what he can do. 2 more years under Dre [may only be 1 at the Bullets??] and he might be ready for a bench role, even at 2019 or 2020.

Maybe horses for courses, as in players and coaches. Conversly, Holt has not performed for Lemanis like for other clubs/coaches so he probably won't make the Boomers then or ever, eh!?

Reply #716517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holt?

Reply #716522 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not sure how much team balance matters when we're talking about players at the bottom of the rotation, in games the Boomers will win easily.

Reply #716530 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Don't be so sure. We believed we'd beat Japan easily, we lost. USA went into the 2004 Olympics thinking they'd be undefeated and lost multiple times. I don't think you take risks with these important games. Iran are Asia Cup Finalists. They're really not 'that bad' that they absolutely could not beat us in the right situation.

Reply #716539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah and Qatar will shock us. Stick to Facebook

Reply #716540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, shit coach, shit players. Why do players like Matur Maker, Deng Adel, Frolings, Duop Reath never get picked the boomers ?

Reply #716546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't a mixture of Adelaide, Cairns and Hawks players be enough to beat Qatar.
Larkins as 12th man/towel boy.

Reply #716551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ oh and Cadee.

Reply #716554 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I'm not sure how much team balance matters when we're talking about players at the bottom of the rotation, in games the Boomers will win easily."

I don't think they're taking the Iran game lightly, and I think they'd treat every game as a continuation of the Boomers program and game plan.

Reply #716563 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The long term Boomers plan should be blooding youngsters who can *potentially* contribute in the World Cup or Olympics one day.

Froling has shown significant upside this season, and he's only 20 years old.

Hodgson will never make a Boomers team for a major tournament.

At the other end, I don't think they should take a guy like Barlow. Yes, based on NBL form he absolutely deserves to be there, but what's the point of taking a 35 year old?

Reply #716574 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Although you could make an argument for Barlow on the basis that he knows the program, and brings a stable, professionally minded veteran presence.

That's a reasonable argument so I'm not totally unhappy with his selection. I wouldn't necessarily pick him myself, but I understand why he was selected.

But I think leaving Froling out is short sighted.

Reply #716575 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Froling was included in the squad wasn't he? Lemanis would have spoken to him about areas of improvement needed. He will be be blooded, make no mistake about it, but he needs to get to a certain level and earn the place first. Playing 3-4 good NBL games at one end shouldn't get you in the national team.

Barlow is someone who could potentially play at the WC if there are injuries or unavailabilities, I think his inclusion was a must. As for Hodgson, he has performed solidly for the Boomers and knows the system, so if there were a few outs to our thin big man stocks he could also be in contention. He is also crucial against Ehadidi if he plays.

Reply #716578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV I agree with both your above comments and at 35 Barlow I thought was a strange selection as well ahead of Froling, but the other side of the coin he is only 20 so they probably got it right. Very happy with the selection of Moller at the age of 24, he has game and gets hidden on Melbourne's roster a bit due to there depth, but excellent pick for the future.

Reply #716579 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Most of the NBA guys are expected to be available for the world cup aren't they?

Yes, Moller has tantalizing potential.

He's only been back playing basketball for about 3 years, so he's a very young 24 if you like.

Reply #716589 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

When does Lemanis Boomers coaching contract end?

Reply #716590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think while Lemanis keeps winning with the boomers he keeps the job, certainly till the WC next year..

Reply #716595 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hogwash, Boomers coaching contracts are usually on a per Olympiad basis so presumably his contract will end after the 2020 Olympics.

Reply #716597 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Thanks Zodiac

Reply #716600 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes, they're always contracted for full Olympic cycles.

As for any World Cup line up, I think we'd have to fall foul of a fair few untimely injuries for Barlow to make the team. But it is not unthinkable and he wouldn't be the worst guy in the competition by any stretch.

If there are no injuries the only guy whose attendance I'd question would be Simmons.

Reply #716612 | Report this post

yeet  
Years ago

bogut?

Reply #716638 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Jawai in to replace Brandt

Reply #719026 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Who picks the team? Is it only Lemanis? If so, is he under certain directions?

Cos I have to agree, I think he should be trying to give experience to young guys who might actually be part of the future.
But instead its more like an NBL allstars team.

I'd certainly be looking at Froling, maybe even Naar, possibly Vague, etc. (and that's assuming we can't get any of our young stars from elsewhere.) I'm not saying pick all of them in the final team, but at least look to the future.

Personally, rather than fielding an exclusively NBL team in such games, I'd rather we used Emus.

NB: If Lemanis starts Spuddee, he should be sacked. Bad enough he's even in the team. Norton has to start, simple as that.

Reply #719598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People need to stop bagging in the boomers Cadee. He is a good guard in the Boomers system that is played in the Asian qualifiers/cup system, to the extent that he both leads the Asian region in assists to turnover and total assists.

He wouldn't have a chance at a spot for the world cup etc but we play a different system with our NBA guys

Reply #719600 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Andrej,
Feel free to play Cadee, DJ and Moller plenty of minutes wouldn't want injuries to Kay and Norton .

Reply #719604 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Spuddee isn't even worthy of starting in the NBL

Reply #719605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he is

Reply #719613 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Boomers need to schedule games in states when a crowd will turn up, saw a 40% off ticket offer recently.

Friday night in Melbourne tough night to get a crowd your major demographic are all playing junior basketball or coaching junior basketball.

Reply #719637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754