LC
Years ago

Boomers vs USA game 2 sold out!

Unprecedented interest in the Australian Boomers' two-game series against USA Basketball at Marvel Stadium in Melbourne on August 22 and 24 has seen the second game sell out, with only a limited amount of tickets remaining for the opening game of the series.

Record crowds expected for Boomers vs USA games as game two sells out

The best available players from both Australia and the USA are expected to take to the purpose-built court in Melbourne as part of their final preparations for the FIBA World Cup that tips off just a week later on 31 August in China.

Topic #44301 | Report this topic

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, it's a remarkable achievement, to sell 90,000 tickets before anyone knows whose even playing. You'd really hope that the top line guys of both nations make themselves available but of course nothing is every certain.

Reply #716671 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

To players get paid for these games? and any international games for that matter?

I know the honor of representing your country etc etc but those tickets were expensive, there's alot of money in advertising around this too, who is reaping the rewards?

I dont care if they do or not, I'm all for capitalism, just curious.

Reply #716672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You'd really hope that the top line guys of both nations make themselves available but of course nothing is every certain."

yeah I hope Cadee plays too

Reply #716674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given the Basketball World Cup starts a week later on 31 August 2019, you would hope that it would be the final squads for both countries selected playing.

Reply #716675 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

It's a given that it will be the world cup teams but who the teams consist of is anyone's guess at this point.

As for players being paid, I think the direct payment is minimal, but sponsorship money, especially in China for players like Lebron if he is available, or even Simmons, could be quite lucrative.

Reply #716680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You'd really hope that the top line guys of both nations make themselves available but of course nothing is every certain"

"It's a given that it will be the world cup teams"

what?

Reply #716685 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

What are you struggling to comprehend? America may not send their best players to the world cup and some Aussies may opt out.

Reply #716686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bet the aussie guys play

the yanks maybe not

Reply #716689 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"bet the aussie guys play

the yanks maybe not"

So, Australia wins 20-0?

Reply #716691 | Report this post

Perf Werld  
Years ago

zing!!

Reply #716694 | Report this post

Perf Werld  
Years ago

Awesome news about the sellout. I had my doubts.

Reply #716695 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I can't believe it took this long to sell out

Although, any seats under $300 probably sold out ages ago? It was probably certain small expensive sections that kept it from selling out sooner.

Reply #716702 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I honestly didn't think either of these games would come that close to selling out even by August next year. Great achievement really.

Reply #716716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm surprised given the pricing that they've got a sellout. The cheapest tickets I can understand, $90 to be in the building isn't too bad. It's those $200-$300 ones where you're still not going to be able to see anything on the court that I thought they'd struggle to move. But it's great news, should be a great series.

Simmons would have to be the biggest question mark for the Aussies you would think. Hopefully the attraction of China and the opportunity to 'build his brand' there will be too lucrative to pass up.

Reply #716729 | Report this post

BobbyV  
Years ago

There will no opting out. Its in China and allthe big companies will demand their sponsored athletes turn up.

Reply #716773 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Should be an amazing spectacle. There will be worldwide interest in these two games.

Reply #716840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why was the second game sold out but not the first?

Reply #716855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess because it's on a Saturday

Reply #716878 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754