jumpshot
Years ago

KINGS V BREAKERS SUNDAY 18TH

Breakers by 10, because Kings only have 1 import.

Topic #44316 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What happened to Randle?!

Reply #717202 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #717209 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

KINGS by 10.

Reply #717212 | Report this post

yeet  
Years ago

only 1 import????

Reply #717229 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Yeet, Yees. David Wear is not even as good as our local Aussie/NZ players, therefore the Kings really only have Randle.

Reply #717272 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Would any other team in the NBL sign Wear as an import if he was released today? If the answer is no - then Kings only have 1 import in Randle.

Only Gaze and JVG would keep this guy.

Reply #717275 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Lisch not playing, was he injured v Adelaide?

Reply #717305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injured at training yesterday

Reply #717310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand why players continue to do unsportsmanlike fouls on fast breaks

Reply #717323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Long alley is top 10 worthy

Reply #717329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wear is a waste of space out there

Reply #717336 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"I don't understand why players continue to do unsportsmanlike fouls on fast breaks "

I reckon it's the nature of high level basketball. Players are trained to routinely foul opponents in an 'easy' scoring situation. In the heat of the moment, with time only to react, many revert to that conditioning.

Reply #717344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's starting to look like 5 teams are fighting for that last spot in the top 4. Can't see cats or Melbourne missing. And Syd gelling are looking dangerous

Reply #717347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just imagine how good Sydney would be if they replaced David Wear with a super athletic 3/4

Reply #717348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

imagine how good they would be if after that they replaced Gaze with a coach!!

Reply #717354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another great alley this time Deng

Reply #717359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ need to replace Ili at point guard. Cut Moore and bring in a stud PG. Richard and Long are quality imports, but Ili has let the team down. Long has more assists than him in this game. Ili was great as a 6th man but he is not a starter in this league.

Reply #717362 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Replace wear before it is too late for the new guy to learn everything.

Reply #717363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Large crowd? Talks of 8.5k?

Reply #717364 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Kings looking much better now Bogut is coach.....

Reply #717367 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Sydney still look fragile under pressure but I think it is finally coming together. Bogut should be given every accolade for this!!

Reply #717405 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If Sydney succeed, could the fans give Coach of the Year to Bogut?

Reply #717406 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

The more I watch Bogut and I admit to being a sceptic prior to the season the more I see him as a darkhorse MVP candidate.

Am I the only one who sees this?

Reply #717417 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I want Sydney to make the GF, but that will make JVG look like a genius.

Is there any way for Sydney to do well but JVG to get the boot?

Reply #717418 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hogwash, I don't think there is anything darkhorse about Bogut, he is a superstar!

Reply #717449 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@ paul - I think with the voting the way it is, Randle and Bogues will be taking votes off each other, compared to say someone like Cotton who is 3pts then daylight pretty much every game...

Is there any way for Sydney to do well but JVG to get the boot?

100% this... Hopefully people with half a brain will understand that just signing Bogues isn't enough to save his job, but it probably will... I just hope it doesn't save Gaze's... Although, to be fair, unless Bogues was calling the subs as well, I can't remember any time yesterday wondering wtf Gaze was doing...

Was my first game of the season and was a decent crowd (just over 8500 and looked it) but jeez, the CA really has to work to get them motivated unless something big is happening (or crappy cheeseburgers are on the line) - it's just Sit-on-your-hands Central...

I think that's got the be the most cohesive I've seen the Kings this season... Breakers just looked off, but boy, when those Bogut passes come off, they come off nicely... Was a really great spread of effort for the most part, and when Randle, Newls and Bogut are all on form, the others just have to hold their roles... Adnam held his own, Bowen obviously plays well against NZ and at the time, it felt like Wear actually did ok...

It seems like the players have sort of rallied around Wear a bit when he was hustling at times, perhaps for some sort of solidarity with all the talk outside of their circle of him needing to be replaced, which is all well and good, but both he and Kickert had 1 rebound each... Kicks didn't get his until he'd played nearly 16mins of game time... This won't wash against better quality teams... I'm not sure if it's just the style of the team or just a disorganised mess, but when Randle is your next highest rebounder behind Bogues, you've got issues...

All in all, a pretty enjoyable game to watch... Some great highlights, a couple of plays that if they were pulled off (that nearly full court pass from Bogues to maybe Adnam? and a missed Alley at the end of the game) would have been HUGE, but that Deng Deng 180 oop... wowsa...

Reply #717466 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I think the same Paul. He has exceeded my expectations but I still feel the MVP buzz is mostly centred on Cotton or Ware.

Reply #717469 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

"It seems like the players have sort of rallied around Wear a bit when he was hustling at times, perhaps for some sort of solidarity with all the talk outside of their circle of him needing to be replaced, which is all well and good, but both he and Kickert had 1 rebound each... Kicks didn't get his until he'd played nearly 16mins of game time... This won't wash against better quality teams... I'm not sure if it's just the style of the team or just a disorganised mess, but when Randle is your next highest rebounder behind Bogues, you've got issues..."

Agreed. With Wear it is difficult to see them beat Melbourne and Perth.

Reply #717473 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fair point Hogwash, Cotton started very well, is struggling a little at the moment having to carry so much of the load, but will still be picking up votes because he makes key plays the hurt the oppo, and coaches remember that!

Reply #717476 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cotton is struggling a little at the moment?
He is the focus of the opposition defence and he's still leading us to wins. I don't know what is more MVP-worthy than that.

Reply #717478 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Shooting 12-of-36 in his past two games is struggling by his standards whichever way you look at it, losing key men around him was always going to impact, but as I said he's still making some big plays at the right time.

Reply #717494 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

12-36 is far from bad considering the difficulty factor of many of the shots he's been taking, and more to the point, in the context of MVP voting that is being discussed here, he will have still polled serious MVP votes over whatever period you're defining as at the moment. (if that period is 2 games then that's being deliberately over-selective considering just 2 days before that period he put up league high 37)

Reply #717504 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do we even know how MVP voting works this year? It's apparently different to last year, but that's all the information that's out there AFAIK.

Reply #717531 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah I saw that mentioned too.
If votes are no longer being collected after each game then maybe we're going to a more NBA-like system ... which I would have mixed feelings about.

Reply #717535 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't mind the post-game votes, but I'd like to see it weighted towards players from the winning team somehow. Maybe a 1/2/3 point system, where the 3 point player comes from the winning team.

If it's the old system Trimble is probably a lock I would think, although with the NBA system I'd vote for Bogut (although admit my bias...).

Reply #717543 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Bogut sure looked like MVP here...... gets a few votes off him by other kings players ....as does ware .... while cotton got it to himself ...

Reply #717544 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If it's the NBA system it's pointless speculating because nobody is going to remember the October/November games come voting time anyway.

Reply #717549 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, and that's my main beef with it. That voters will naturally get lazy and just look at some lists of averages when voting, while also having the last 2 or 3 weeks worth of top performances fresh in their minds.

Reply #717555 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"12-36 is far from bad considering the difficulty factor of many of the shots he's been taking, and more to the point, in the context of MVP voting that is being discussed here, he will have still polled serious MVP votes over whatever period you're defining as at the moment. (if that period is 2 games then that's being deliberately over-selective considering just 2 days before that period he put up league high 37)"

Luuuc, I'm wondering if you actually read my comment, or just saw the word struggling and started typing.

I wrote that Cotton "is struggling a little at the moment having to carry so much of the load, but will still be picking up votes because he makes key plays that hurt the oppo", which is pretty close to what you've said above.

Reply #717637 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

For mine it's a 3-way between Trimble, Bogut, and Cotton.
But Cotton is better allround than Trimble, and those clutch plays would have the votes going his way.

Will the Cringe factor count against Bogut?

At this point, I can't see Sydney getting past Melbourne. Be interesting to see how they fare against a fully fit Perth.
However Melbourne's Achilles is Ware. If he goes down they're fucked, and how long can they keep flogging him?

But I am still expecting Sydney to fade towards the end of the season

Reply #717651 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I really like how Cotton has improved defensively. He's gone from being an ok defender other teams would go at, to the point now where he's really embraced Perth's defensive culture and takes the lead. Definitely can't accuse him of being a one-way player now. Trimble on the other hand is really just an offensive force at this stage of his career.

Reply #717653 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754