Anon
Years ago

No After Game?

Big V have decided that there will be no aftergame at SC level, is this for all divisions or just them, I think great news as some teams hate being there especially after a loss, referee's don't attend, coaches rarely speak and give it to a rookie who struggles to speak and some spread are just not worth putting out. Thoughts? I know at SC level last year in speaking to most teams we didn't really want one!

Topic #44330 | Report this topic

Greggo  
Years ago

Yeah i don't think it really adds anything to the game. Though you have to love a country spread with some home cooking.

While we're at it can we get rid of something else- the anthem. So unnecessary.

Reply #717665 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The after match spread is now optional for the home team to decide across all divisions.

The anthem only needs to be played at one match for the day, so for example if there is a Youth, Women and then Men triple header, the anthem only needs to be played at any one of the games.

Reply #717669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The home cooking is provided by the refs!!!

Reply #717685 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

You know, the after game is not for the benefit of the players/coaches. It's a fantastic way for the fans to get much "closer" to the players, for the kids, the young ones, whom we want to grow into the new generation(s) of ballers. Of course, you could let the fans onto the court before the home team leaves for the dressing rooms, as many NBL teams do.

The quality of the after game eats? doesn't need to be expensive, just ok enough to serve the purpose. Sponsors could fill this need as part of their deal(s). Say a pizza/sandwich/sushi retailer or the like.

Relevence of The National Anthem? None. When teams represent their country, ok! When they rep their city, play the city anthem. Yeah, cities don't have anthems. Issue solved.

Well, that was easy!

Reply #717694 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Yep, anthem has no place at anything other than 'national' level events, plus ceremonies like ANZAC day & remembrance day, obviously.

I'm too lazy to check, but believe the formal protocols around its use say that too.

Reply #717705 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I too am befuddled at the proliferation of the anthem. It seems it spread like wildfire after Sydney 2000.

I assume it's as overplayed down south as it is in the QBL. Unnecessary except for grand finals I reckon. Plenty of associations that seem to want to cling on to it though.

Reply #717939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After games are gone. Anthem I think is worthwhile. Australians are so unproud of this country. I love hearing the anthem at games. Look up at your state flag and the Aussie flag. #proud

Reply #718142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The anthem is a joke. Has to go. Playing it before every game is just annoying and pathetic. Big games only please, GF's and the like.

I was surprised with the after game decision but makes sense I suppose.

Reply #718156 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

After match between both teams might go, but I think its important to try and keep something where the coaches and players can meet people who attend the game.

Its tough after a long away trip (especially a loss) to hang around till 10pm when you want to get as you have a back up Sunday 12pm game.

Anthem MUST stay, its about providing a professional product and is important. Along with court announcements and music.

The silly rule that you can't use a microphone during the game to assist crowd participation is the worst one.

Reply #718232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always, always should be an anthem. Cant take a couple of minutes from facebook to stand up and show respect for your country.

Reply #718234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The microphone rule has always been there. It's a shame the NBL don't enforce it more. That idiot on the Mic for the Tigers. I mean United.

Reply #718236 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

So basically all those country teams that travel to play Metro teams are supposed to drive all the way there, play a game and then go home??? Thats a bit harsh. At least have a rule if a team has to travel 2-3+ hours they are required to do a function of some sort.

Reply #718260 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I think you asked these travelling teams they'd be keener on getting straight on the road. The function is more of a hold up.

Reply #718262 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

I just think its best to put a function on as a club for YOUR team and its supporters but don't make it mandatory for away teams to attend.

Reply #718268 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #718262

Well maybe in when the team list is provided during the week to the team hosting it should be an option to see if the team is staying for the after match function. That way their is plenty of time to organise it.

Reply #718271 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Anthem in domestic comps is dumb. If you're proud of your country, go out there and do something to make it better. Standing up and mumbling along to the anthem is armchair patriotism at its worst. It's started to spread to domestic comps here IMO because it's exploded in the US over the past decade, and we are copying their game day experience. 98% of the other parts we copy are fine, but I can do without that part.

Reply #718281 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Keep Anthem, nothing wrong with it. We call the teams onto the court why not have them pause.

Like the idea of announcing if your team is staying or going early.

Reply #719628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:38 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754