Anonymous
Years ago

Cheeseburgers

This is just getting really old.

Every time an opposition player goes to the stripe, the commentators start crapping on about cheeseburgers, and usually continue on. Yeah guys, its was really funny the first 20 times. Any chance we could get back to the Basketball now?

Topic #44333 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering they are a major sponsor they are probably required to talk about it. Put it on mute if you don't like it.

Reply #717678 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Bringing it up as a thread just gives it more attention.

Reply #717680 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It highlights how the commentators are struggling for discussion points when they keep latching onto this promotion as a topic whenever a player gets to the free throw line. Unfortunately the selection criteria for commentating NBL is at rock bottom, even the ex-players who should know the game resort to this. They just aren't intelligent enough. We are getting no analysis just pointless talking heads.

Reply #717682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try analysing the game for the whole game. There is only so much can be said week after week. Jeez.

Reply #717684 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Who wants Cheeseburgers?"

Reply #717696 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

So you don't like people crapping on about cheeseburgers, so you make a whole new topic to discuss it? Yup, makes sense...

I don't mind commentators talking about it during the FTs, like above, can't analyse 100% of the game 100% of the time... I'd suggest a chill pill with your next burger...

Reply #717700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not like there is much else occurring on the court during free throws that needs to be commentated about.
OP is probably the owner of a McDonalds store.

Reply #717706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The burgers are better at hungry jacks. :). I've actually start going to chemist ware house as well in a show of faith for the nbl.

Reply #717712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still better than DRussell crapping on about Chris Goulding every 2 seconds.

Reply #717715 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd rather them promote a sponsor that helps push the league to a better financial position than look at the shooters FT% and try to predict the result. After Dwayne Russell or whoever it is gushes prematurely at the launching of any three point shot, FTs are an opportunity for something different at least.

Reply #717739 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Im with the OP. The consistent mentioning of it throughout the game is annoying, just as much as the court announcer yelling it which can be heard on the broadcast.

Just mention it a couple of times tops for sponsorship obligations. HJs has great exposure in many other areas (logo on court, led signage) they dont really need to be talked about at every free throw opportunity from the visiting team, unless it really is part of their sponsorhip conditions.

Reply #717767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of fun. Miss the 1st shot and everyone wants a Cheeseburger. Great Promo.

Reply #717770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Hungry Jacks want to pour money in to the league I see no problem with the commentators, court announcers and whoever else talking them up. Lighten up OP! Give me some analysis of which players have given up burgers the most! Statman?

Reply #717775 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Also, other potential sponsors watching the telecast would surely be encouraged by that extra level of exposure that's being given, and perhaps be more motivated to jump on board as well, possibly including also trying to think up ways of incorporating their brand into the package that the league themselves might not have even though of.
Harmless fun that helps the league, so I'm cool with it.

Reply #717777 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Eh, I like it. Agree with the oft used commentator comment that its the best promotion in sports.

Reply #717782 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Can someone tell me if this is a thing in Perth? I'm at the game so dont see/hear the broadcast but it's never mentioned at the stadium by the courtside announcer.I personally care more about the fewer points on the board than a free burger so dont care if it's not. Everytime I watch another game on TV the announcers and commentators dont shut up about it.

Reply #717785 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, I do find it strange that it's never mentioned at Perth games. There was a rumour last year that it conflicted with the Healthway sponsorship, but this year there should be no such issues. Perth themselves do have a rule against sponsorship by fast food companies, but if the league's signed a deal you'd think they're stuck with it.

Reply #717786 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Its not a unique competition. Muzz Buzz used to have a sponsorship with Perth and they gave away coffee vouchers when Perth scored over 80(?) Points i think it was.

Townsville I believe had something similar with McDonalds. Its a fine novelty and creates a bit of interest to the game, just dont really want to hear the commentators or announcers go on and on about it like its bigger than the game itself.

Reply #717788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest it's a brilliant marketing scheme, is something similar done elsewhere. Scoring a certain number of points to get a burger etc has been around for a long time. And even though these guys are professionals it would play some mind games with thousands yelling it out, or hundreds in the case of Brisbane, Cairns and Illawarra.

Reply #717790 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"to get a burger etc has been around for a long time"

Yeah worked out real well for McDonalds during the LA Olympics.

Imagine if you've the guys that repeatedly misses two on the road, pretty soon everybody just calls you Cheeseburger

Reply #717792 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Perth fans don't get cheeseburgers from Hungry Jack's, they get Vege Burgers.

Reply #717807 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Homicide understands cheeseburgers. Makes a pleasant change to his attempts to impersonate an actual basketball commentator.

Reply #717891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it when heal says "I know where we're stopping off on the way to the airport tonight"

Reply #717898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He used to be into spring rolls so I guess this shows what sponsorship can do for a company.

Reply #717900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is pretty fucking annoying to hear it every game

Reply #717952 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

The Breakers had Carls Jnr on board as a major sponsor to until the League announced Hungry Jacks as their main sponsor and they had to terminate the deal.

Reply #717956 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Think ive collected 3 times this season already.

A free burger is a free burger.

Anyways NBA usually do the free food if u score over 105 i think it is now so quit ya jibber jabbing

Reply #718043 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Wah, Wah, FUCKING wah!

Heaven forbid anyone should have some fun at a basketball game, or that a sponsor should be spoken about. According to OP, those things are sacrilege in the house of basketball.

Reply #718056 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Shayno

So maybe for next season the NBL needs to talk with HJs about other deals.

Total points scored by home state team
Double double for a home state player

Promote the positive stats.

Reply #718093 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cadee on fire!

Reply #718104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to this list the burgers are better at Bread & Bone on Peel Street
https://bigseventravel.com/2019/02/the-50-best-burgers-in-australia/
Sorry HJ's

Reply #736131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuck off

Reply #736225 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754