Anonymous
Years ago

SE Melbourne Phoenix Roster

With Creek supposedly signed, I think it's time for a discussion on filling out the rest of the roster.
Who would you like to see?

Here’s my first suggestion...and guys this is clearly just a wish list not based on actual availability

PG: Matthew Dellavedova 6-4" or Import
SG: Import or Ben Madgen 6-5”
SF: Mitch Creek 6-6”
PF: Brock Motum 6-10”
C: Jock Landale 6-11”

Bench
G: Import Combo Guard
G: Daniel Dillon 6-4”
G/F: Sam McDaniel 6-6” or Christian Jurlina 6-5”
F: Chima Moneke 6-6”
F: Jack Purchase 6-8”
C: Jordan Hunter 6-10” or Matt McCarthy 6-9”

It’s a strong roster made up of experienced players not in the league, or in development roles (McDaniel, Jurlina) or just about to graduate from college (Purchase, Hunter, McCarthy).

If they could put together a roster like this it would be fantastic for the league in that there would be virtually no dilution of any other rosters.

Thoughts?

Topic #44343 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That guy from the First Ever ads looks like he can ball and he clearly hates wearing other teams uniforms because he has his heart set on signing with the Phoenix. Make it happen Phoenix.

Reply #718130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Fantasy. Pass.

Reply #718139 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Would love to see Madgen and Motum back in the league. Not sure how feasible it is but the more good Euro based Aussies we get returning, the stronger and deeper our national comp becomes.

pretty much all of that roster you listed are not currently in the league, but I expect a decent amount of the Phoenix roster to be made from players currently in the league, similar to how Brisbane formed their roster 2 years ago.

If they can somehow lure Delly back, you just know the NBL is going to market the shit out of "THE CURRY STOPPER" for a good 3-4 months to try and attract the casual fans hahaha

Reply #718141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandon Jennings Or Ty Lawson at PG

Reply #718148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldve thought Isaac Humphries

Reply #718152 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It would be huge if the NBL managed to claw back Creek, Motum and Madgen in addition to the current talent base

Reply #718154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd start with Cadee as the marquee player...

Reply #718158 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Spudee as the marquee

Reply #718163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks another forward off the bench.

Reply #718164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Xavier Cooks returns, surely it would be with Illawarra or Sydney?

Reply #718171 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Just my view.

Get Aussies who will stay for years and build a stable team.

Recruit imports that fill the holes.

Reply #718514 | Report this post

I've hear on the grapevine that Nathan Sobey could be headed there!

Reply #719182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually yeah, Sobey and Creek would make a perfect pair. Don't need to bother with any other players they're great enough on their own (at least in their own minds)
What would they want? A million bucks a year each? Bargain.

They're off to such a great start.
a 30yr old with no actual experience as a GM,
A coach who's biggest claim to fame is once playing with Kyrie Irving's father, for the Bulleen Boomers.
Recyled Netball name

Reply #719185 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The owners of Phoenix are going to throw big money at a couple of marquee names to try and get some brand recognition.

The GM is a yes man and you'll note the league owner makes sure his boy is looked after.

Delly won't come back yet as it will be NBA or Euro as he'll get more money in EU and can play as a local.

Reply #719198 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

If I'm Delly, and I don't pick up another contract, this would be a great fit. The guys been overseas since he was 18 at college, he's made, what $35m(?) off his most recent contract, so going to Europe for money wouldn't be a necessity, recently married, and could return back to his home state and be a foundation/marquee type player.
It's a good situation in my eyes.

Reply #719201 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:43 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754