Jack Toft
Years ago

Adelaide Lightning - financial woes

Lightning doesn't strike twice. Looks like the Lighting has needed propping up financially to the tune of $500K/season for the last dozen seasons.

Only 250 to a home game?

I realise that Marino had his haters, but is the Lightning beyond resuscitation?
Solutions anyone?

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-lightnings-future-in-doubt-beyond-this-season-unless-investor-can-step-in-to-save-them/news-story/b9ca2e236766253545def4d2d0ae42ee

Topic #44363 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Seemed odd to me that a team with no fans was putting one of the league's most expensive rosters on the floor this season. I thought maybe they still had good corporate income streams, but no, I guess they were just being totally irresponsible.

Reply #718841 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The irresponsibility would be coming from the 36ers owner...

Reply #718912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to do with the 36ers owner ...try again !

Reply #718921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Consider the lightning coach is not paid, vs the 36ers coach who is he highest paid. Chris' money going into the roster. Do we go down the equality path here?
I don’t know why they don’t get a crowd. The quality of the basketball is very high. Marketing? Women’s basket ball is so poorly marketed in this country. The opportunities for girls in this sport far outweighs most other sports, but little being done to sell these opportunities.

Reply #718922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a pay wall article, can anyone please provide the major points?

Reply #718932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$500K/ year for a womens teams seriously? PLease fold.

Reply #718934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the word is that any coach who wants a long term coaching role in WNBL needs to bring their own sponsors and money to pay for some the players ..... it is a sad story ..... who is running the WNBL these days? The league needs their own LK if it wants to survive ... or it will soon follow SEABL down the drain

Reply #718936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop letting people in for free! Put a value on the ticket and then the fans can value the product. By opening the gates your telling people it's not worth paying for...

Reply #718939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA is is running the WNBL. They have just cut off the SEABL after begging to be allowed to take it over. Pack of incompetent bastards. Then they have the Boomers and the Opals left. Too many people there that are getting paid way too much to deliver mediocre.

Reply #718943 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

WNBL side Adelaide Lightning's future is in doubt if they can't find an investor to fill a $500,000-a-season hole.

WNBL side's future in doubt

Reply #718977 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

It would be nice if the Adelaide Crows bought them out, Maybe Phillips would sign and play again.

Reply #719011 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

Crowds could be better for sure - how do we get more game day ? I like double headers and go often, always found the Lightning people excellent and the games are good. Often not much media coverage yet so many play. If they could only get crowds up - I'm quite happy to pay a relevant entrance fee.

Reply #719015 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers coach who is he highest paid
Because the owner came in and needlessly upgraded his contract?

Reply #719021 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Boti seems to think it's a good thing, because Basketball Adelaide are so incompetent.

It does seem like gross mismanagement if they're spending all this money across the board, yet running the women's team on a shoe string and still giving up on that.

Important to have an Adelaide team in the comp, agree that fans need to turn up. Are attendance averages across the WNBL readily available?

Reply #719024 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Isn't the 36ers and lighting owned by the same person or entity therefore making the owner of the 36ers responsible for the situation.

I thought he was the White Knight, now the WK seeks another WK

Lightning for the MAC money but didn't see anything for it. Interesting.

Reply #719025 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If the Advertiser is on the money, they flew over to tell the players before a game. how about wait until after the game? I hope they get their backing. This sends a horrible message to girls playing the game :(

Reply #719027 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Adelaide GM said on radio this [Monday] morning the team was told after the game, though direct quotes from the coach in the 'tiser article suggest otherwise.

GM also made the [valid] point that much, if not most, of the half mill quoted is for costs such as travel, not [just] player salaries.

Agree with the 'quality of basketball' statement [often better than what we get from the men's game] but promotion is a major issue [and don't start banging on about social media]. Can anyone tell me [without looking it up] when the next Lightning game is?

I'd suggest that active, on-going, positive promotion [which I acknowledge is far easier said than done] would be a big step in the right direction, though it's obviously not the complete answer and wouldn't address the immediate short-term issue/s.

As for the double headers - I too like them, and thought they might be a 'winner', but that hour to 45 minute gap between the games is a killer. Had a double header with the Lightning game after the 36ERS game vs Sydney the other week, with 6,000+ in the house and by tip off for the women's game the crowd was down to the 250-300 stalwarts.

And the situation isn't heaps better when the women's game is first because of that big time gap between the two games. There's not a lot can be done about that unless the 'owners' were to bring in outside off-court entertainment [such as musicians] to fill the gap, and promote the crap out of that.

That approach might actually provide a genuine 'entertainment' experience; unlike the 'urgers' and noise makers that clutter the men's game

Reply #719033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having had a daughter go all the way through the basketball pathways to the highest level over many years it became so apparent that it was dying. The lack of coverage by the media compared to netball and now Cricket, AFLW and Soccer etc has killed it as a sport the next generation want to play. Unless a mother or father played basketball it seemed that was the only introduction to the game a child would have. Non basketball parents want their boys to play AFL/ARL or cricket and the mums want the girls to play netball predominately.
This is what I have experienced with my friends who are non basketball. So I really cant see it ever catching these sports now. A very sad predicament.

Reply #719073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hopefully kestleman will take over the wnbl.

To align merchandising and marketing etc. women's games can be played before the men's in Shortened season with finals seperate.

Reply #719077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me [without looking it up] when the next Lightning game is?
Won't necessarily solve their problems, but they are free to post game threads or announcements on here, but don't.

The Lightning's own Twitter profile doesn't announce upcoming games, just results as they happen.

Reply #719085 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"As much as we have a very successful Adelaide 36ers program with corporate support, sponsors and membership, that club still runs at a loss as well so it's only through the generosity of the owner that we’re able to put this club (Lightning) on the floor," Kavenagh said.

Reply #719206 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

We've spoken about this time and time again with NBL teams, but the same can be said with the WNBL. Essentially you know you need $X M/yr to run that team, you do a business plan and work out all the costs, and then work out where the revenue is coming from, attract crowds, attract sponsors etc.

This day and age social media is the key to anything, yet as Isaac notes, there is nothing on Twitter to excite the fans before the game. Most young kids do Snapchat or Instagram. There's a little bit on "the gram" but a team generates excitement through social media, doing those little PR spots on the news, the PR spots on "South Aussie with Cosi" etc.

250 to a game is woeful. At that level the caterers wouldn't open...
A $500,000/season gap is $35,714 per home game. At an average of $20/ticket, that's say 1,790 people. In essence the breakeven for the team is about 2,000 people to a home game.

Winning games brings crowds, but in a business, it is often prudent to survey customers who don't buy your product and the reasons why they don't.

It would be sad to see the Lightning fold or relocate (maybe to Tassie)

Reply #719209 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A sensible starting point for next season might be to live more within their means rather than signing 2 of the most expensive players in the league.

Reply #719226 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I wonder what it would take for the Lightning and to a greater extent the WNBL, to be a sustainable league with the demand for a revolving door of White Knights?

At the end of the day, 300 people per game won't cut it. I'd imagine it would need closer to 2k plus good sponsor relationships in addition to probably co-ownership between NBL clubs, business people and the local association.

Reply #719234 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah this is the 4th season in a row that the Lynx have put a very competitive and very entertaining team on the court, and yet the crowds are still poor. (Not quite Adelaide-level bad but still nowhere remotely near where they need to be)
In a city that clearly likes its basketball it is disappointing. And yet the Wildcats seem to do very little about it lately despite having 14k+ basketball fans in their building.
After Dec. 14th the next Cats home game is Jan 11th due to the arena being used for the tennis. There are 3 Lynx home games in that period that they should be promoting as a way for Cats fans to see some live basketball. Especially considering the Lynx are currently on top of the ladder.

WNBL teams really need to be striving for at least 1000 paying customers each home game IMO. Townsville have been doing it for years, and more recently, Melbourne have been smashing it, so it is achievable.

Reply #719262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is TOO MUCH BASKETBALL on in Adelaide for anyone to have time or money to support the Lightning which makes zero attempt to connect to the new, current or past basketball communities.

Reply #719270 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

In Perth, people who go for the basketball, end up in a disco instead. Who knows how many people that's turned off from attending.

Reply #719341 | Report this post

Lightning Fan  
Years ago

So let me see if I understand this, from a business perspective. You invest in a product for a reported $500 thousand per year. You then proceed to not market/promote/advertise or celebrate the history of the product and in fact give it away for free! Then wonder why you are not making any revenue from said product, sounds like good business sense to me

Reply #719344 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

In Perth, people who go for the basketball, end up in a disco instead. Who knows how many people that's turned off from attending.
The Wildcats get 13,000 a game, so I can't imagine it's very many.

Reply #719354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How's this for a few ideas Adelaide Basketball (coming from someone that actually comes to the games with the family) -

Change the Lightning website to reflect the new season. You still have double header games for 2017/18 showing on web site under ticketing.

Offer memberships for kids. Why didn’t this happen this year? Again still showing on website for 2017/18 only. These web site issues are embarrassing!!

Titanium has no atmosphere. Move to the new St Clair venue or similar? Opening Titanium cannot be a cheap option. All the semi successful clubs play in smaller venues (Boomers, Rangers, Fire etc...).

Get WNBL not to schedule Friday night games when you have district div 1 & 2 playing at the same time.

Run clinics at schools like the 36ers do? Show you exist to the general public.

Start charging! The odd free game is a good idea but not every bloody week.

Reply #719454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And maybe some more local talent wouldn't go astray either, we like to support our girls. Lucas said this was going to happen and then screwed them over.

Reply #719468 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was 3 or 4 months ago and I was watching premier league on TV and it was said that St Clair was keen to get the Lightning .
Titanium Stadium and Lightning owners were the same , so they will have to move , now that owners don't want Lightning anymore .

It was years ago and I was keen on Borrego , a very popular South Australian .
Anyways everyone is trying to help Lightning go on , other than putting money in.

Reply #719526 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754