Anonymous
Years ago

SEM Phoenix partner with Hawthorn FC

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/south-east-melbourne-phoenix-form-strategic-partnership-with-hawthorn-fc/news-story/2d494b5728375c2fa3410b71b48c4f0a

Thoughts?

Topic #44373 | Report this topic

AD  
Years ago

Weird
Is says "a shared service model for all financial, human resource, and IT management."
They could get that anywhere, why do they need an AFL club?
What evidence is there that HFC is a leader in those fields.

In fact I'm surprised that Hawthorn don't outsource them?

If you want to chose an AFL team to partner with, Hawthorn seems a strange choice.
My Melbourne Geography is a bit iffy. Do they have the biggest presence around SEM heartland?

Reply #719370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Areas not too far off for Hawks who are based out there. And most big AFL clubs have 70+ Administration staff, made up of all sorts of teams: finance, HR, IT, membership, commercial teams, PR, media, marketing etc. Could be that they share some staff/head count in those area with SEM in return for some financial cost/partnership?

Reply #719373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

R u kidding???

All nbl clubs, bar maybe Perth Wildcats could learn bucket loads from Hawthorn.

They are the best performed AFL club (Premierships) in the modern era, period! And I don't barrack for them.

Reply #719379 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Potentially a super-smart move. Seems obvious given Hawthorn's massive reach in south-east Melbourne, their existing staff with sport-specific knowledge and the huge greenfield site they're planning in Dingley, but getting a deal done is impressive.

Interesting to see their owner quoted in this story, first time I've seen that.

Reply #719381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2017-11-21/hawthorn-announce-2017-financial-result

Reply #719382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-club-membership-numbers-2018-over-1-million-members-richmond-surpasses-six-figures/news-story/151ae3a71dd14c48e264ac0331f57431

According to this article Hawthorn have the 2nd most members, behind Richmond.

Some people really do speak without thinking!

Reply #719383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

80,000 members in 2018, imagine if they garnered some interest from 5% or 10% of those?

Reply #719384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea what AD's issue with this is because to me it makes a whole lot of sense. There are a whole lot of potential synergies here and it works beautifully with the AFL and NBL seasons pretty much opposite each other on the calendar. Great move for maximising resources and partnering with a sporting juggernaut club with loads of experience and success. One could almost say the Phoenix are kicking goals with this.

Reply #719391 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

FFS maybe read what I said.

The article refers specifically to the Hawks proving them with a shared service for finance/HR/ and of all things IT.
I just find that weird that they need to go to an AFL club for their IT.

Gotta love how people just invent their own reality, then praise it.

"80,000 members in 2018, imagine if they garnered some interest from 5% or 10% of those?"

Yep, and where does it say anything about getting access to Hawk's members?

"All nbl clubs, bar maybe Perth Wildcats could learn bucket loads from Hawthorn."

And again, article says absolutely nothing along those lines.

All I am saying, is that if such is the agreement, and you're going to write an article about it, why not focus on those things?
Instead of saying the Hawks will provide them with IT? Weird

If the article instead said that the Phoenix would be able to offer special deals to Hawks members, or that Hawks management were going to help in areas such as Player Management, Member Engagement, Sponsorships, etc, then I'd be singing its praises. (In fact I have done so before)
But it doesn't.

Reply #719395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Melb sports club that plays in the summer sharing services with a Melb sports club that plays in the winter. Are you really struggling to get your head around this concept and its potential benefits AD?
"Need to go to an AFL club for their IT"
FFS maybe read what the article said. And then actually think about it before engaging your keyboard.

Reply #719396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD...... SMH

Reply #719401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's the Tommy Greer bagger on this one?? Sensational move by Phoenix

Reply #719402 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

This was all about the Hawks wanting in on an NBL team and after the Wollongong thing fell apart it was logical for the Hawks to get involved in the new SEM team.

Reply #719412 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's possible that they get those services freely in exchange for something - shared membership promos or similar. Value for SEM is lower costs and a positive press release, plus maybe the relationship develops into something more.

Reply #719416 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Melb Radio today spoke of Hawks looking at a long term partnership with a view to invest or some involvement with ownership of the team.

The Hawks admin base is in the SEM heartland so the synergies are really good.

Reply #719420 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Interesting to see where this goes. After quite a lot of talk & speculation in the off-season about AFL involvement we know have the first real step.
Obviously a lot of potential positives to such a relationship. Considering how many people follow the AFL in Melbourne I'm curious to see if there are any negative effects with being associated with an AFL team that most people don't support.

Reply #719426 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

^ regarding any negative effects, going by comments made on facebook and instagram show mixed feelings towards this.

I absolutely get the benefits that SEM get out of this, but whats in it for Hawthorn, other than eventual ownership of the club in the future, which I would assume would be a long way off anyway?

Reply #719431 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They hedge their bets on a potentially rising sport. Similar to NBA teams investing in esports. And at a very low cost.

Reply #719438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Hawthorn aren't getting involved with this because they want to covert the kids to play footy or basketball (considering the huge number of kids that play basketball in the SEM area)

Reply #719557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Footy over basketball I meant to say

Reply #719558 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Other motivations for the merger.

Hawthorne is just following the AFL's strategy of poaching up-and-coming bballers. Right in their own front yard, so easily accessible, and probably some sort of exclusivity thrown in.

Maybe, some unsuccessful/unhappy AFL'ers might make the opposite move as per Moller.

Positives both ways. Imagine if the Fullertons, Greenwoods et al had some connection with basketball through their AFL club. Naitanui from the Eagles, Mason Cox with the Pies, more??? There's half a team already. Even got an import!

1. Greenwood
2. Fullerton
3. Moller
4. Naitanui
5. Cox

Reply #719562 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

If the NBL takes off again the AFL will certainly want a slice of the pie!

The AFL missed a huge opportunity with T20 and they won't make the same mistake with NBL particularity if they have an off season revenue stream that cross over from a marketing/membership sense.

Reply #719572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754