Anonymous
Years ago

What is the capacity of RAC (Perth) Arena?

Just curious to know what the official capacity for RAC Arena is for a Perth Wildcats basketball game?

Topic #44386 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

14500. Never been sold out in basketball mode according to austadiums.

Reply #719634 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Austadiums isnt the most accurate source though. I could be wrong but I think in basketball configuration the areans capacity is approx a little more than 13,600. Ive been to games where there was over 13,500 and it looked packed.

Reply #719636 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

The number that turns up and the tickets sold can vary. Not everyone that buys tickets turns up, and not every member (considered ticket sold) turns up either.

Reply #719638 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The 3 biggest Wildcats crowds have been 13,611 so I assume that's the max capacity in basketball mode

Reply #719639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A4

Reply #719649 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Can a Perth person/supporter possibly let me know why the hell does the Arena need a six week turnaround to allow the Wildcats to play in the Arena due to the Tennis. I'm dumbfounded as to why so long for a silly Tennis Tournament that only runs for 6-7 days and has no bearings on points or standings on the tennis circuit.

I was in LA a few years ago and in a 3 day period the Staples Centre had 4 major events on straight. Conference in the day on the first day followed by a Concert the same night, Basketball game on the next afternoon and Ice Hockey on the third day.

I just really don’t understand, are we really that pathetic in Australia or is there a valid reason?

Reply #719650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If those that purchase a ticket don't turn up so what. That sold ticket gets counted. Same for members.

Reply #719651 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

A - agree with you! The setup for concerts and basketball games can be converted within a day no problems. Tennis needing a whole month for essentially a one week use is bizarre. Has to be a good reason for it. Its always amazed me how much importance the government placed on such a minor tennis tournament when building the venue. Its like it was specifically built for tennis with other events to fill out the remaining 51 weeks of the year.

Reply #719657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because there are four weeks between home games, it doesnt mean the tennis has got the Arena booked for those full four weeks. They could potentially play the first week after New Years but maybe the NBL schedule doesn't allow for it.

Reply #719658 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Every season it is a similar, excessively-long gap in the Cats home game schedule though. This question has come up before and I'm still none the wiser about it. Doesn't seem to be a problem switching between basketball, concerts, Disney shows, etc.

Reply #719659 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Must be so us Perthites can enjoy the beach on the weekend for a few weeks of the year instead of attending 11.30am games...

Reply #719669 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

You'll find that it gives the Wildcats a chance to stop getting on flights each week. They have taken the opportunity to stay on the East coast during consecutive away weekends.

Reply #719693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nope I'm not buying it. they could do that anyway by staying on the east coast the week of the tennis. its nothing to do with the wildcats. look at the arena event calendar there is nothing else there for the whole month other than 8 days of tennis.

Reply #719696 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Maybe the Wildcats like it as it gives them home games to start and finish the season strongly.

Reply #719697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe they do like it but the point is that they don't have a choice in the matter and its weird that the arena is unusable for a month just because of 8 days of tennis

Reply #719700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The capacity crowd for basketball is 13,611. It has been reached 3 times: 14 January 2017 vs 36ers, 5 March 2017 vs Hawks (Game 3 of GF series), and 12 January 2018 vs United.

Reply #719706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"nope I'm not buying it. they could do that anyway by staying on the east coast the week of the tennis. its nothing to do with the wildcats. look at the arena event calendar there is nothing else there for the whole month other than 8 days of tennis."

what did they say when you contacted them about it?

Reply #719712 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Must be so us Perthites can attend home opens on the weekend for a few weeks of the year instead of attending 11.30am games... "

FYP.

Reply #719739 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

The theoretical maximum for "basketball" is around 14,300.
However that would seem to include "floor" seating suing all available space, not allowing for the corporate seating, media, and the VIP section.

There are also two weird bits in the southern corners, where in theory plans allow for seating to be erected above (or in) the major doorways, but that is never done.
So yes, the max capacity for NBL is 13,611

As to why it takes so long to get ready for the Hopman cup? I don't know
Maybe they have to relay the Plexacoat each time?
Or perhaps, given the long lead times for some concerts, its easier to just keep that period free every year?

And yes, a lot of extra work and effort went into having an opening roof, just for tennis.
NB: Last I heard, this was to be the last year of the Hopman cup, which would be sad, as it has become a Perth institution, and the only time we get to see top players in Perth.

Reply #719762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its a meaningless tournament that no one cares about so it will be good for basketball once it is history

Reply #719766 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Given that 5 of the 16 players at this year's Hopman Cup were in the top 10 of men's or women's world rankings, it would seem it's not so meaningless to some.

Reply #719789 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not an ATP or WTA event. Meaningless.

Reply #719799 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

As opposed to what?
People need to remember that Australia's status in Tennis is largely historical.
Perth has been fortunate with the Hopman cup.
If you were looking for a venue for a new event, Perth would have to be about 500th on the list, so to have an event that actually attracts top players is quite something.

"its a meaningless tournament that no one cares about so it will be good for basketball once it is history"

So by "no one," you mean not you.
and by "good for basketball" you mean like how the Hopman Cup was the ONLY reason we got a new Basketball Stadium?
yeah, meaningless.

I personally find watching tennis to be about as riveting as watching hair grow, but I'm not so ignorant as to dismiss its huge global popularity, nor just what a coup it is to have platers like Feddara and Williams coming to Perth.

Reply #719813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes this may be the last edition of the Hopman Cup but there is a replacement tournament being talked about - the atp cup, which is likely to feature matches in Perth.

Reply #719819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

/Underwhelming

Reply #719833 | Report this post

AnkleBreaker  
Years ago

Its because we can only afford to employ about 10 staff to complete pack down and setup based on Australian standard pay rates, plus weekend penalties, night penalties, superannuation, meal allowances, union dues, tax, uniforms etc etc.

At Staples centre they prob have 100 people on minimum US wage who can barely afford to live doing the job.

Reply #719837 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

to have an event that actually attracts top players is quite something.

It quite literally is something, yes, but those top players play matches that mean nothing in the scheme of things and get watched by very few people so it's no surprise that the tournament is dying.
But yes I guess it is "nice" for Perth that we get a Fedora quokka selfie for the millions the tournament costs.

Reply #719844 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A Federer quokka snap and Hopman Cup appearance that cost Tourism WA bucketloads.

Reply #719845 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well unlike you Dazz I follow tennis and the Holman Cup is utterly meaningless and pointless as it isn't played for points ranking. Federer came this year due to a huge third party appearance fee being paid (what a joke).

Ankle good point about our slow stadium turnarounds in relation to the exorbitant wages paid to monkeys to do anything unskilled in this country.

Reply #719846 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hopman*

Reply #719848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Dazz or Perth world have lives lol. Non stop posting mostly insignificant garbage.

Reply #719867 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"It quite literally is something, yes, but those top players play matches that mean nothing in the scheme of things"

They obviously mean something for those players, ie preparing for the Aus Open. From an outsiders' view it seemed the Hopman Cup had a long run in the sun where it was popular both with attendance and TV viewers, but seems to have dwindled in recent years?

Reply #719873 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The Hopman Cup has had record attendances in recent years, since it relocated to PA from Burswood. However those record crowds were only due to Federer playing and the Aussie teams. Most of the other matches looked to be pretty small crowds but probably still a bit more than when they were at Burswood.

I dont have much interest in tennis generally but its clear this tournament doesnt mean an awful lot. When the players are often seen giggling and enjoying themselves its obviously not taken too seriously.

I suspect a lot of the top players that choose to play at the Hopman do so knowing that they can drop a game and play again the next day without impacting on rankings. Good preparation for the Aus Open.

If it dies off, then its probaby due for a new format as the Hopman was pretty boring imo.

Reply #719875 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

They obviously mean something for those players, ie preparing for the Aus Open. From an outsiders' view it seemed the Hopman Cup had a long run in the sun where it was popular both with attendance and TV viewers, but seems to have dwindled in recent years?

It's a handy event for players who want to...
- acclimate to the aussie time zone & summer weather
- ease very gently back into action after stuffing themselves over Christmas
- not put any ranking points on the line in the process
... as preparation for the real matches they will play afterwards over east. So yes participating means something to the players. When I said matches that mean nothing I guess what I should have said was matches with meaningless results.

And I get why Perth tennis fans would want to cling on to the tournament since it's the only time any remotely-decent players are here. But I'm pretty sure it's only viable because of government funding (Tourism WA), and few people outside Perth seem to care about it, so it's poor return on investment for those dollars.

Reply #719881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopman cup predominately plays with the roof of the arena open (basically the only time its ever open). Apparently its a pain in the rear end to completely disable & remove the centre scoreboard/screens - hence the time away. Probably not the only reason, but is a considerable factor to my understanding.

Reply #719889 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Do Dazz or Perth world have lives lol. Non stop posting mostly insignificant garbage.

I ♥ my fans.

No late shift crew tonight?

Reply #719974 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"When I said matches that mean nothing I guess what I should have said was matches with meaningless results."

Yeah fair call. I remember watching it the first decade or so and it seemed massive, big crowds, entertaining contests, good media coverage. I guess the WA govt like it because it gives worldwide exposure, if that's so then I imagine they measure on how effective that is. Does it still get big crowds? I haven't watched it for quite a few years now.

Reply #719980 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It gets good crowds to sessions that feature a Federer or Williams, but pretty underwhelming otherwise. But I think the worldwide exposure thing is more the problem. I don't think too many people in other states tune in, let alone people in other countries.

Reply #719986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:28 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754