PM
Years ago

Loss of experienced refs in the NBL

After a discussion at a party on Saturday & some research it seems Boti is correct when he says the Nbl have lost many seasoned Refs
Like any job, people want to work for good & stable management & it seems this has not been the case with Nbl Refs
They have Scott Butler now
Perhaps keep him long term because previous Refs had several Managers come & go

Many of the Refs who have finished over the past few years had a good feel for the game & did not act like they were Centre attraction

I could name a douzen or more

Topic #44390 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

the retirements have nothing to do with stability. Boti knows nothing.

Reply #719874 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I think the current new breed are what Scott use to be.

More concerned with "rule application and biceps" than “game management and feel for the game”.

Reply #719879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FM that is a statement made by someone who has zero idea about FIBA directives world wide. But thanks for playing.

Reply #719883 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

The NBL can make its own rules up and issue its own directives, it isn't compelled to follow FIBA

Reply #719884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But it does

Reply #719885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And god forbid we encourage fit referees. Referees who can run out multiple games in a weekend. Who have the ability to run the floor, keep up with the game. Referees who have enough respect for the game and themselves to present themselves as athletes.

Nah let's have the pisspot fat walkers of the old days back. Because they let players abuse them and just laughed it off and abused them back. Never had any issues then did we? Yes those were the 'good old days',

Reply #719886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rather have the fat walkers back where you could chat to them and they could admit mistakes unlike the mega ego's now that if you raise an eyebrow you get a warning.

Reply #719892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

name one time that's happened. Watch a game closely, the players and refs talk constantly. But you can't disrespect them. That's standard across all of basketball. NBL is nowhere near as brutal as NBA or Europe.

Reply #719893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rather have the fat walkers back where you could chat to them and they could admit mistakes unlike the mega ego's now that if you raise an eyebrow you get a warning.

Reply #719894 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

And there's more than one mode of fitness. While the current crop of on-court officials displays a range of body shapes there does seem to be a tendency to upper-body bulkiness that might help with breaking up on-court skirmishes but quite possibly mitigates against the [required] ability to 'run all night' [or all weekend].

Need the attributes of a middle-distance runner, not a power lifter.

[And that over-muscled 'can't get my arms down by my sides' stance means the official automatically presents an 'aggressive' demeanor as soon as he [and it is 'he' in this instance] steps onto the floor.

All that said, it is quite apparent - and repeatedly demonstrated, including on NBL and WNBL courts around the country - that there is no link between body shape and the quality of on-court decision making.

And for what it's worth, those so-called 'fat walkers' of yester-year [many of whom obviously weren't] were often calling multiple games an afternoon or night, so maybe they weren't in such poor condition as that disparaging labelling is intended to imply.

Reply #719903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referee's run between 5.5k - 7k per game on average over a 2 hour game. If that is middle distance running then that is ridiculous. Referee’s need to be able to sprint and get off the mark to keep up with the athletes of today. Once you sprint 5m the rest is easy. Referee’s need to be more power athletes than distance runners. Hence why the current beep test is a terrible test for referee’s as when do they ever run for ten minutes at an increasing speed whilst on court during a game.

Reply #719907 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Fat, fit, old, young.....seen them all over so many years of watching, playing and coaching. It matters not, it's too hard a job. They're always going to screw up on occasions, you just have to accept it and hope they screw the other guys more. I know as a coach that for every time I got a howler (and many times lost the plot and copped a T) there's another occasion when I got a ripper of a mistake that went in my favour. It took a while but the sooner you accept that it is what it is and get on with it, the happier you'll be.

Reply #719914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are people really criticising the refs for being too fit?

Reply #719918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the NBL referee no bicep league.

Reply #719932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haters gonna Hate

Reply #719936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And 2 of the recent 3 retirements have nothing to do with anything other than what the public keep screaming for which is accountability.

Reply #719938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We import coaches and players, why nor import some decent refs to. An ex NBA ref would be able to interpret our game to FIBA standard.

Reply #719976 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"We import coaches and players, why nor import some decent refs to. An ex NBA ref would be able to interpret our game to FIBA standard."

OK. Sodifferences in game durations and allowed numbers wouldn't matter. But some differences do matter, ie zone D, goaltending, shot clock. Too much detail to copy pasta. See below (retrieved 1/12/2018).

http://www.fiba.basketball/rule-differences

Reply #719987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did Matt Beattie give it away?
From the games I watched in the last couple of seasons he seemed one of the best going around.

Reply #720053 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Why did Matt Beattie give it away?"

Matt's a mate, haven't caught up with him for a while but he got into marathon running and was going to a few around the world and also recently got engaged

"it's now time for me to enjoy life as I want it to be." is a quote from his Facebook when he said he was giving it away

Reply #720091 | Report this post

The atual refereeing is ok.
It is the BIAS and FAVOURITISM they have towards certain teams is the issue.

Reply #720128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Years ago they did import one Yank ref I knew of. Reff'd in QLD. That decision was a massive fail. Those that know who I mean will understand.

Reply #720131 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754