Anon
Years ago

Youth Coaching Behaviour

Keen to get some experienced thoughts on the following situation which in my six years of following youth basketball has never occurred. It happened at an u14 game on the weekend.

Anyway, like every other game, officiating was poor, leading to great angst between both the players and parenting group. The level of complaints was probably above norm on this occasion and escalated at the very end. As the siren blew, Player 1 from team A who has control of the ball comes under pressure and appears to deliberately elbow a player 2 from Team B who is trying to grab hold of the ball. There isn't much in the elbow really but you can see it was deliberate. So already somewhat frustrated, player 3 from team B witnesses the elbow and shoves the player using 1 hand on his shoulder from a side angle. You could describe it as "Cut that crap out" type shove.

As the teams are coming together to do there end of game huddle and cheer, the father of Player 1, who is also the coach of the team starts yelling obscenities at Player 3 saying “Next time you do, do it to his face so he can see you, don’t push him like a girl, push him like a man” clearly frustrated and trying to incite further violence.

Is this acceptable behavior? If not, what should the coach get as a result of his behavior?

Topic #44398 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know it's not.

Is posting it on a forum in hope to get a reaction and continue the incident acceptable behaviour?

Reply #720236 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ok I acknowledge that in part was a silly question. I'm not trying to get any reaction but this sort of stuff rarely happens, so its difficult to gage on how serious the consequences should be and what a fair outcome should be.

Should the coach:

a. Get a warning
b. x amount of games ban
c. demotion from being a coach.
d. etc

I'm curious because I know our association has a history of being incredibly soft on this sort of behavior and very interested in the outcome.

It would be good to hear from someone who can genuinely share a similar experience.

Reply #720245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm interested to know exactly how you read minds!!! I’d like to be able to do the same.

Reply #720246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your experience is that your association has a history of being incredibly soft on this sort of behaviour, you've probably got a fair idea of what will happen.

Most associations post their "fair play," "it's just a game," "play by the rules," "zero tolerance" mantras all over the place and consider that job done. Every now and then they throw the book at someone insignificant to make a point, while everyone knows that there are certain people whose behaviour is always appalling and nothing will ever be done. There's no point worrying about it because unless you're special, you'll never win. Just get on with the things you have some control over.

Reply #720247 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Pretty certain nothing in the comments references reading minds.

Try reading it again.

Reply #720248 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I listened to a podcast recently with Vagues dad who must be a junior coach in WA. He mentioned the game where Drmic elbowed Goulding and at the end of the game Drmic put his hand out to shake Goulding's and Goulding didn't shake. Vagues dad said he noticed that week in the junior leagues players not shaking other players hands which he hadn't seen before.

Moral of the story 1: Professionals and adults have an obligation to show sportsmanship and how to behave in these situations.

Moral of the story 2: Goulding is, and will always be a flog.

Reply #720249 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thanks.

As mentioned, I have some idea as to what the outcome will be so the purpose of this post was just to form an opinion as to whether or not to take the matter further or just accept the decision and move on.

Reply #720250 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I would write to your association so it at least in writing and you could ask for acknowledgement. Not much else to do other than hope your association grows a pair. My association would say bye bye to that coach, but not all associations have the luxury of others ready to step in.

Reply #720251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

You said his intention was to "trying to incite further violence"

How could you know his intentions if you couldn't read his mind?

Could easily construed he was telling someone to stop pushing and therefore stopping sad violence!

Reply #720255 | Report this post

Right Said Fred  
Years ago

Right because when someone yells "Next time smack him in the face" clearly implies they are against violence.

Well done.....

Reply #720261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From you post you didnt day he said 'push him in the face' but rather ‘dont give him a cheap push from behind.

That’s two totally different things.

Reply #720263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And it's very easy to mistake an elbow on a loose ball as being deliberate when it’s not.

My question is..."should the player who escalated the level of violence with a push as the third man in be punished?”

We all saw what happened when Kickett escalated the level of violence with a push with his elbow because he saw his team mate get hit.

Reply #720264 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This is actually a good example of how things can get out of control.

So, basically Player 1 (Team A) gives an elbow to the gob to Player 2 (Team B). Player 3 (Team B) steps in to defend P2 and gives Player 1 a bit of push to say "don't do that"

Then Coach of team A (who is also the father of Player 1) gives Player 3 a bit of curry for pushing his little princess around.

We don't have all the information, but it sounds like Team B beat Team A through playing hard on the man and the refs not calling fouls. Team A was a little frustrated.

Reply #720267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Jack,

And further more. Parent of player 3, rather than accepting his child did something wrong. Is trying to deflect blame on someone else.

Reply #720271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ kind of like Drmic on Goulding in the example higher up, eh?

Reply #720272 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tofts post is the best example of how things get out of control. Where did the original poster say the errant elbow hit the kid in the gob? Big difference between one in the gob and one on the shoulder or arm. The rest of the post is just speculation, just the thing to stir up emotions, create the victim and the culprit and have a wild guess what really caused it all. I don't think it's about what the kids did - shit happens in (U14) sporting contests and players move on. The coaches behavior is what should be addressed. The players counseled by someone who can keep their emotions in check.

Reply #720274 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Let me guess OP, your son is "Player 3"?
He's the one that should be sanctioned. Within the game, I would have ejected him. Since it was post game, the association should probably give him a one game ban.

As for the coach, probably a reprimand as a reminder that as Coach he's expected to set a better example.

Reply #720285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure the matter has already been dealt with. As the people who sorted the issue got both sides of the story. Not just the one from the "Titans" view you just gave to start the conversation. Next time make sure you include all details. In fact just don't do next time. Wasnt u14, and wasn't on the weekend.

Reply #720288 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

AD, I truely hope you have no authority in any sporting environment because if you think a child should receive a higher penalty then an adult, you clearly have no idea.

Reply #720296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a child physically assaults someone and an adult doesn't. The child deserves a tougher penalty.

But good to see you enable you child to assault other children and get away with it.

Reply #720309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP should have swung on the father of player 1, what a douche.

Don't worry, AD will never have authority over a sporting team unless you count on his xbox.

Reply #720311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The initial story was filled with holes and told from one side. As most stories are. Both teams played their part and punishments were handed down. Few porky pies in the original story. I don't think anyone bought the "concerned onlooker" approach just looking out for what's best. People who are really doing that don't take to these forums.

Reply #720317 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"The coaches behavior is what should be addressed"

Thankfully there is some light in this cauldron.

The basic facts of the situation were pointed out so that you could understand why the coach acted the way he did. As nobodies like myself in this forum, I'm sure you don't need to know anything further.

In no point in time, is there a question regarding the punishment for the players. So if your natural tendencies is to point on how children should be punished without acknowledging the adults behavior, please keep your pedo views to yourself.

Some of you have my pity. Life really must suck when your personality filter is stuck on d*ckhead.

Reply #720359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah the emotion charged rant has finally come out! Name calling and all. That didn't take long to change from "concerned onlooker" how you started.

You don't want to hear anything unless it's the opinion that you already had before you even posted. You didn't come on here for a solution, you came on for an emotion charged rant/witch hunt against a person you clearly don't like. Do you feel better? Did you get it out of your system?

Reply #720363 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I came here to see what peoples views were about a coach who stepped out of line. Instead, a trolls like yourself tried their best to extract a story that was never going to be told.

So you claim that "You don't want to hear anything" Well besides a reprimand, what has constructively been suggested about the coach?

Nothing.

So thank you for proving my point.

Again you have my pity, life stuck on d*ckhead mode must be a lot of fun for you and your husband.

Reply #720367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say the person who is responsible for the abusive rant and can’t understand that they are the fool here is the one we are all feeling pity for.

Not only are you condoning violence from children, you are also condoning abusive behaviour.

Maybe time to take a Long hard look at yourself before you go attacking others.

Fact is no one can constructively make a call on what should be done for the coach as it wasn’t seen first hand and only one side of the story was told.

Get a life!

Reply #720378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure it quite disheartening for you that you came on here and gave one side of a two sided story and STILL didn't get any support for your argument. I'm guessing that is why you are emotional and upset. And rightfully so.

I think people on here have simply seen it all before and can smell "crap" when the story is that one sided. Most have been around enough to know that doesn't happen.

You throwing the toys out of the cott probably explains why you haven't gained much traction with your local association, because I imagine you fly off the deep end every time doesn't see things your way. Hence why you labelled your local association "soft" on these matters.

It's most likely because there is far more to the stories than you choose to tell. And people can see this.

Reply #720416 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^
Get out of the thread and back to your husband. I have no interest in what d*ckheads have to say.

Reply #720431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A dickhead who's well aware of who you are.

Reply #720437 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754