Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 9

Wed 7:00 - Sydney vs Adelaide

Fri 7:00 - Townsville vs Adelaide
Fri 6:30 - Perth vs Bendigo

Sat 3:00 - Melbourne vs Sydney (Live on SBS & Foxtel)

Sun 2:00 - Canberra vs Bendigo
Sun 3:00 - Dandenong vs Perth (Live Steamed)

Topic #44410 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

On your knees , peasants . There's Royalty in the round .
Marianna Tolo

Reply #720465 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ that's great news indeed.

Not *quite* at the same level of royalty, but in other injury news, Shyla Heal has now resumed training with the Lynx.

Reply #720541 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Random Wednesday night match? Rather comfortable victory for Adelaide in the end. Nicholson has to be second only to Cole this season for "MIP".

Also for Perth Maddie Allen looks like she could be out for both matches. That'll hurt their already small depth for bigs.

Reply #720638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace going to be apart of this season?

Reply #720645 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ooh that sucks about Allen. We're small enough as it is without losing our tallest player!

Good to see that Sydney were again competitive last night. Hopefully Bunton isn't far away too.

Reply #720675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunton is out for the season following more knee surgery:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/swoop/sydney-uni-flames-win-first-game-of-wnbl-season-as-opal-alex-bunton-heads-to-the-surgeon/news-story/8d201e42154d9107d303ae81745f14ae

Reply #720687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dam, another injury.
Weve got some fragile bigs in the opals squad.

Griffin, George, Cambage, bunton, magbegor, tolo all have had there fair share of injuries.

Reply #720689 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

:(

Reply #720696 | Report this post

Aussiedownunder  
Years ago

Any injury news for tonights games?

Reply #721013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Weve got some fragile bigs in the opals squad.

Griffin, George, Cambage, bunton, magbegor, tolo all have had there fair share of injuries."

George? Just had a look at her stats and the last WNBL game she missed was in 2011-12. She played 21 of 22 games that season.

Reply #721027 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Aussiedownunder, Suzy is OUT. Along with MA out for Perth I don't believe Clydesdale will be back for Lightning. Tobin has been battling a neck complaint but after it obviously hampered her performance in Townsville she put out strong numbers starting on the bench last game in Sydney.

Reply #721039 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Wow Asia Taylor scoring 23 in one half. Perth comfortably in front at HT.

Adelaide too good for Suzyless Fire. Nicholson, Seekamp continuing their good form. They could be a dark horse in the finals if they get all five starters firing. Coffey, Alexander, Cummings all been very good at times this year.

Reply #721090 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Asia was unstoppable tonight after the first quarter. Huge game.

Reply #721095 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Luuuc, I'm guessing you were at the game? Live Stats read like some indiscipline crept into Bendogo's game once again, as Lynx went on a 25-3 Q2 run while Spirit had a couple of unsportsmanlike's, with Turner figuring again.

Reply #721096 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, they lost the plot in the 2nd quarter, and on the Lynx home court that can get expensive in a hurry.
That run was assisted by a Payne USF that looked to me like a regulation foul (and in the resulting bonus possession we got multiple O-boards and then a Taylor 3), and another USF that I didn't actually see so I can't comment ... it was something that happened between Turner & Taylor ahead of the play. Those 2 are not the best of friends (and nor should they be. Good on 'em). There was also a Pritchard tech at the start of all that which kinda got the ball rolling for Asia & the Lynx.
I dig his passion but I don't know how good it is for his players to be having directions called out so constantly at them - it's got to be nerve-inducing. (I don't know how successful it is in that stadium either due to how loud the music is). His assistant coach David Flint certainly is good value though. A bit of yin & yang action with those two.

McPhee & Ebzery had pretty average starts to the game but had some good moments in the back half, which is good heading to Dandenong as we can't be a one player show over there. Loved the way Stewart managed Steindl's minutes too.
And not that we need another small right now (at one point I'm pretty sure Ebzery was playing the 4 spot!) but Shyla Heal warmed up with the team so she mustn't be far away.

Reply #721109 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Turner was the second USF after being ejected last game with two. TO's4-19, PFT22-6.

Reply #721123 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

The evergreen Snell has Sydney on a roll and in position to cause a huge upset against the Boomers, early in the second.

Reply #721211 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Kinda emblematic of the Flames' season.

Sydney come out from HT in front, Tupea gets a steal and on the 3v1 break has her layup drop short, then Melbourne sinks a three on the next shot and they're now just 1pt behind.

Reply #721226 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Flames up by 5 at 3QT. Maybe last week was a turning point!

Reply #721240 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Strewth, guess that's why Tupea was invited the Opals camp earlier this year. What a game from her, Snell and Sydney's. Really enjoyed that and has to be the upset on the season. For once the Melbourne-centric televised game pays off.

Shame SBS coverage dropped out right at the end so we couldn't see (but still hear) the reaction.

Reply #721254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For Tupaea to make the opals, she needs to be more consistent.

Reply #721256 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

The Fox coverage dropped out too :(

But yes, Tupaea had a great game after some cold shooting lately. I think injuries have really derailed her development. Amazing she is still only 19 though, plenty of upside.

I had a sneaky few $ on the Flames, didn't really think they could win but $11.50 in a head 2 head is crazy value.

Reply #721260 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Her early shot (& free throws) was cold after also ice cold Wed, off hot shooting the prior game but has finished with excellent numbers. Drew eleven fouls - can't recall last time I saw a stat like that.

Reply #721261 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Well done, James Harvey fan. I marked them a 7.00 chance, so every reason to have had a nibble IMO.

Reply #721262 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Getting ugly for both Bendigo & Perth right now. Trailing by 24 & 19 respectively

Reply #721472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tight this year. Not sure who's going to make finals...

Reply #721486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But yes, Tupaea had a great game after some cold shooting lately. I think injuries have really derailed her development. Amazing she is still only 19 though, plenty of upside."

Think you will find She's a 96 born, so bit older than that and been plagued with injuries since juniors

Reply #721508 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

UC Capitals penalty has been reduced from $2500 to $1500, with the other $1000 suspended for the remainder of this season.

Reply #721808 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

tolo griffin 44 points = team of the week ?

Reply #722019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tupea's very lucky selfish last minute came off.

Her terrible game leading up to that was typical and the reason for the hole they were in.

Reply #722049 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Terrible game? Tupaea?? What the? Are you talking about the Lightning game maybe?
Being that depleted, Sydney needed every one of its starting-calibre players to play well to have any kind of chance against Melbourne, and they did. Tupaea did plenty of good things before her final 2 clutch baskets. Just the fact that she could play 37+ minutes was an amazing achievement in itself for someone who has missed so much basketball and training lately. All things considered I thought she was very impressive.

Reply #722059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754