Isaac
Years ago

Taipans vs Hawks, 8 Dec 2018

Well, someone has to win.

Hawks 4-7. Cairns are 1-8 and at home.

Illawarra found a bit of form last round against Adelaide but if Cairns can't get a game like this, what can they get?

Topic #44416 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cairns to get 2nd win of season.

Reply #720586 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Cairns are better than their record suggests.

They are one piece away from being competitive.

Reply #720599 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Cairns are one piece away from being two pieces away from being competitive. After they loose this they'll be in last place by 4 games, season was already over, but this is getting ugly!

Reply #720622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cairns drop this I struggle to see where their next win is coming from.

Reply #720626 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Taipans 1 - 9.
Sad but true.
Don't know what's next unfortunately...

Reply #720633 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

1-10 it will be, playing on the road vs a rested Perth team on Sunday.

Reply #720643 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Cairns are one piece away from being two pieces away from being competitive. After they loose this they'll be in last place by 4 games, season was already over, but this is getting ugly!

Well I think if Hall were even an average import they wouldn't be last.

Trimble is a very good piece to build around, if Hall were a decent piece they could be competitive at least.

Any team not named United or Wildcats would take Trimble in a heartbeat.

Reply #720649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy you do realise that Perth are playing Sydney this round?

Reply #720657 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Yes, rested was referring to the fact they've had the bye week to rest up from their recent injuries.

Even looking in regards to this round specifically, Perth will fly home from Sydney on Friday and have a days rest advantage over Cairns who will fly from Nth Queensland to Perth on Saturday, longest trip in the country.

Reply #720662 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Cairns will be fired the F up tonight to get a rare win, I think they will pull off the upset

Reply #720989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cairns will be fired the F up tonight to get a rare win, I think they will pull off the upset"

@Mock It won't be an upset according to Sportsbet. They've installed Cairns at $1.60 favourites over the Hawks at $2.35.

Reply #721011 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

mite be fri 7 dec i think....

Reply #721041 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Some poor refereeing to start this game.

Reply #721064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns don't have any defenders, nothing’s changed over the FIBA break. Hall still can’t shoot.
Crowd not looking to full either.

Reply #721070 | Report this post

rabbit82  
Years ago

where does those teams learnt to shoot free throws
horrendous show

Reply #721078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble 5 from 20, 19 points and can't defend a bar stool. Punters saying he’s an mvp are kidding themselves, Ware and Cotton win these games for their team.

Reply #721085 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

what a horrorshow. I was hoping they'd put a few of the Marlins on by the end of it, at least they've proven they can play D.

lucas Walker and Kuany Kuany were the only two taipans who looked like they have the slightest semblance of a shit for the whole game.

Reply #721094 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Walker fouled the shooter twice in very inopportune moments.

Reply #721106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it's time for a few marlins, Jurlina is a very good defender.

Reply #721125 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cairns bench is horrible.

Reply #721132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Taipans supporter I have to ask what direction are the board taking us?

This is a rudderless team with no direction, very little coaching and next to nil accountability.

I have waited and accepted the excuses to a degree. New Coach and New team (board decisions) but we are 10 games in and I can only see deterioration rather than improvements. Hell ever some fight would be enough but most of the roster either doesn't care enough or would rather argue with the officials rather than battle on the court.

They say teams take on the persona of their coaches to a degree. Give me the junk yard dog Fearne Taipans that would fight and claw for every point over this Mr Positive nice guy team that folds at the first sign of adversity.

Please please at least before the season is out, Mike Kelly, please load up on your team for their defensive accountability (Trimble every possession). Make them have to take the mics out of your timeout, you are confusing positive with passive. Bring back the passion.

Trimble is an exciting offensive player but without his few moments of brilliance it is not even the exciting up and down brand of basketball we were promised as a part of getting rid of Fearne. At least then we won at home. What do we have now?

So again, what is the direction this board is taking our team? And who are we supposedly developing around as the board suggests?

Reply #721134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
On the money 134, Trimble will be gone next season as well to who ever pays more, and not nba quality as commentary keep telling us. Get some defence going.

Reply #721140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is not a Fearne v Kelly situation in my opinion. Don't fall into the trap of making it that. This was coming either way! The only difference if Fearne was coaching would be he would be subbing everyone in and out every 2 minutes for not playing defence, as well as Melo Trimble splitting 20 minutes court time with Jarrod Kenny to make a statement. The 1-9 record would be the same. Don't compare Fearne teams of Wilson, Rhychart, Loughton, Tragardh, Wilbiken, Burston, Craig, McCarron, Gliddon etc to this team. This may be the worst assembled roster in league history. Or certainly top 5. This is like the old Singapore Slingers in their last season. This was what was available to spend after previous year's rosters and management costs. Kelly is the easy target but this team is poorly constructed and has no leadership. Fearne dancing around the sidelines wouldn't help. You're on the right track asking the board questions, you've just asked the wrong question.

Reply #721143 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It shouldn't be a Fearne v Kelly thing, I agree with that, but the rest of your post seems well off the track to me. Fearne recruited on small budgets, put together solid teams and made sure they played hard. No way his team would be 1-9.

As for the Singapore Slingers comment, probably tongue in cheek but just ridiculous. This is a team that took Perth to OT, Sydney to OT and Melbourne down to the wire. There is plenty of talent here, Kelly just needs to figure out a way to get them defending consistently.

It's his first year, it will take time. Braswell hasn't been able to get NZ to play D yet. Vickerman's Breakers in his first year were woeful defensively. Give him time, it will come.

Reply #721147 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cairns are better than their record suggests.

They are one piece away from being competitive.

Quite true. It's just a pity for them that LeBron is already under contract elsewhere.

Reply #721150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember Kelly found out he was coach 2 - 3 days before free agency began. Hard to recruit with that and a limited budget.

Reply #721156 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Losing McCarron and Gliddon hurts them badly. Recruiting Perth's leftovers doesn't help.

Even if they attempt a rebuild next year they are on the backfoot in free agency especially having to compete with Phoenix.

Reply #721160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You people are confusing 2 seperate issues.

1) All the excuses you are offering for Kelly are 100% on the board.

2) The lack of improvement, the lack of desire, the lack of accountability are 100% on Kelly.

Even the competitive games you offer as hope, go and watch them again. Was it due to great coaching and an improving hungry team or was it due to the individual brilliance of some imports we are going to never see again come seasons end.

And yes Troy Stone has made it a Fearne vs Kelly thing when his rhetoric in the paper is about a "change in direction", “more entertaining style of play” and “Kelly being a positive guy”. All thinly veiled attempts to paint him as the opposite of Fearne.

As said previously in certain situations positivity is merely passiveness. Those people defending Kelly can I ask are you truly happy with the effort and desire our team shows? Are you happy to sit on the sidelines and clap and cheer mediocrity?

Losing Gliddon and McCarron is again on the board as their agent packaged them with Fearne. Were things perfect with Fearne, not at all. But looking at what we have, which most in the know saw coming, I would take Fearne with a different GM and Board rather than the other way around.

Finally if we are about development as the board suggests then why for the first time since I can remember is there no junior academy? Should the Taipans DEVELOPMENT Academy not be running by this stage of the season or have I missed something?

Reply #721190 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I don't think there was an Academy last year either; it all seemed to stop after getting a new assistant coach.

I am all for developing young local talent however have been really disappointed about the number of these that have actually made their way into the Taipans team. It seems they would rather bring in more non-locals.

Reply #721365 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Even the competitive games you offer as hope, go and watch them again. Was it due to great coaching and an improving hungry team or was it due to the individual brilliance of some imports we are going to never see again come seasons end."

It certainly wasn't due to individual brilliance, it was due mostly to improved team defence and partly to better ball movement on offence to reduce the reliance on individual play.

Reply #721369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Academy did run just as you said different coach.

While I thought the academy did a reasonable job in developing high end talent, few NBA players, few NBL players. The role it played in developing young players in the local cairns community was huge being a community club and all.

Hopefully I am wrong and it will still go ahead just maybe out of NBL season for the first time?

Reply #721371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:21 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754