Anonymous
Years ago

How is Cricket more popular than Basketball?

In Australia how is Cricket more popular than Basketball? I literally only know one kid at my whole school who is into it. Not a great sample size but just wondering how cricket dominates the market so much. Only my opinion but it's gotta be one of the most boring sports getting around. Also weird that a headline to the news will be someone from the women’s twenty20 stubbing their toe while the biggest news in NBA will be lucky to get 5 sec play of the day clip at the end.

Cue cricket lovers...

Topic #44420 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Media of old Anglos artificially continue to pump it up. It will eventually become obscure in global world. Even in India the youth rather follow EPL than "boring cricket".

Reply #720955 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Mate it's unaustrayan not to be into cricket! it's also unaustrayan to be into them seppo sports like basketball.
Actually for most of my life I was right into cricket. I don't find the sport boring. These days it's mostly my dislike of the national team players that puts me off watching more of it.

There would be a generational factor too. Kids in the olden days like me had cricket, footy & tennis on free to air tv and there weren't many channels to pick from, so if you were a sports fan then there's a good chance you grew up with those sports.
Very different landscape today for sports viewing.

Reply #720957 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Over 100 years of history and tradition of cricket in this country. It'll be popular for a long long time.

Reply #720958 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No, it won't. We have entertainment choices now unlike the days of three TV channels which meant everyone watched it by default.

Reply #720961 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Is it school holidays already?

Cricket has a tradition in this country that basketball could only wish it had. It is intertwined without the fabric of Australian society. Plus Australia has been at times the best team in the world.

With that said, it does feel like it is in decline in popularity, like many longer form sports (for example, baseball in the US, once America's pastime).

Footy (either code depending where you are) is the dominant product, aided by being the elite competition in the world (not really something to brag about, considering the competition or lack there of). Thus crickey being played in separate season (locally), and being more worldly (or at least countries conquered by the British) gives it more prestige, compared to the NBL which maybe pushes for the Top 10 of leagues in basketball.

I'm all for bball taking over though. Australian cricket makes me sad.

Reply #720979 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Cricket is dying a slow death in Australia.

Reply #720981 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kinda feels like it's moved into baseball territory for us, more about history and legacies than it is about the actual product. I have some friends who would consider themselves passionate cricket supporters, but I wonder if they've been to more than a few games over the past couple of years, or even watched a test match other than as background noise. Not a fan myself, but T20 is probably the future of cricket (or present, even), but I can see test matches going the way of the dodo in the not so distant future.

Reply #720982 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Don't agree with that LC. It's still the only national sport, generates big TV ratings and extensive media coverage. The growth of T20 and the women's game probably means it's as pervasive as ever, even if in a different way.

Reply #720987 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Total attendance Average Year
1,756,131 24,734 2016-17 Cricket

316,018 6,724 2015-16 Basketball

The number of spectators attending NBL/WNBL vs BBL/WBBL

Tends to suggest cricket is a long way from death

Reply #720990 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

sorry for the shit formatting of that post

Reply #720992 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Total attendanceAverageYearSport
1,756,13124,7342016-17Cricket
316,0186,724Basketball

Reply #720994 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well, it's better but I still screwed it up.

Reply #720995 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

How is Basketball more popular than Extreme Frisbee? I just don't get it

Reply #720999 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The livelihood of cricket is being propped up bigtime by BBL and shorter forms; so when you say cricket is still huge popular (or that it is declining), it ultimately actually depends on which format you're referring to.

My own personal opinion is that I watch much less sport (And much less cricket) in particular that I did 5 years ago.

I just don't have the time anymore; and I suspect a lot of people don't have the same amount of time to watch sport, and in particular, cricket;

We have so many things to do/so many choices in life now - stuff that people probably didn't do 20-odd years ago. It's not 'Im coming home to watch cricket/sport'; it's 'I have to go and do ____ [insert one of 100 different things]'.

Reply #721000 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

You cant compare attendances to an outdoor sport played in huge stadiums with an indoor sport played with much smaller comparisons.

You could compare percentage of capacity filled though to get an idea of demand which basketball (NBL) would fare quite well.

Cricket is dying off though with interest obviously waning but the rusted on mainstream media wont let it die completely - just yet.

Reply #721001 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Foxtel/7 have 1.2 billion reasons to hope you're wrong

Reply #721004 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Crickets still great, but as someone said, there aren't really many likeable characters around. I watched cricket religiously up until guys like Bevan, Gilchrist, Langer, Ponting, Symonds etc all retired. Was tough to find anyone to root for after this period. Still enjoy BBL, but I'd rather have the live test score up than watch the actual game.

Reply #721007 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Cricket for majority of Aussie sports fans over 30 is ingrained in their pshycie, for people under 30 it's a different story. T20 has given some life back to the younger audience but that's crickets last hope of remaining a top tier sport, basketball is one of the next in line to fill the void. I'm talking 30 years not 3.

Reply #721014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is something I dislike more popular than something I like?

Reply #721016 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Honestly there is 3 things I have loved my whole life Hip Hop, Cricket and Basketball so religiously no other sports or things really interest me that much.

Reply #721017 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The livelihood of cricket is being propped up bigtime by BBL and shorter forms; so when you say cricket is still huge popular (or that it is declining), it ultimately actually depends on which format you're referring to."

I think around 900K attended the Ashes tests last year and 600K were at the India series the year before and the TV ratings were big, so there is still plenty of love for test cricket against the right opponent.

With BBL growing the cricket attendance records in Aus were broken the past two years, so it is still a dominant force in Australian sport, even though we're in a down period for the top team that drives a lot of the interest.

Reply #721020 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Cricket has been with thousands of families in this country for generations. At Christmas, they get a bat and a ball out and start playing much like the other families who get the football out. It is a tradition ingrained for well over a century. Football and cricket will always be more popular than basketball in Australia and it doesn't matter what the NBL, NBA or the Boomers ever do.

Reply #721021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How is something I dislike more popular than something I like?"

Well to be fair I love volleyball but I'm not questioning why that isn’t more popular than cricket. My question was more around why Cricket gets so much more exposure than basketball when there are so many positive indicators for basketball and it’s growth. I did say it is just my opinion also.

Reply #721024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How is Basketball more popular than Extreme Frisbee? I just don't get it"

Are you comparing basketball to extreme frisbee?

Reply #721028 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Its pretty hard for basketball to make inroads into building of history with the guy running the league so flippantly throwing out the team with the most history.

Reply #721029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cricket never has anyone watching domestic cricket, if basketball were in a position to play a series against USA, Greece, Spain every year it would be a different out come. If you compare sheild cricket or club cricket to the nbl, I know who gets more spectators and viewers and it ain't cricket.

Reply #721040 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

"Its pretty hard for basketball to make inroads into building of history with the guy running the league so flippantly throwing out the team with the most history.

"

Yeah, that's definitely LK's fault, not the fault of fans who can't be bothered turning up or anything like that.

Reply #721042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL barely survives year to year and you're trying to say crickets dying a slow death lol.

Reply #721043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is not limited to just NBL

Reply #721047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean, the first two words of the OP are "in Australia"...

Reply #721049 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Cricket never has anyone watching domestic cricket, if basketball were in a position to play a series against USA, Greece, Spain every year it would be a different out come. If you compare sheild cricket or club cricket to the nbl, I know who gets more spectators and viewers and it ain't cricket."

This might hold true for Sheffield Shield and domestic 1 day comp, but BBL is quite popular. But that's being sold as sports entertainment, not sport.

According to Professor Google:

The cricket.com.au website doesn’t seem to list domestic Sheffield shield or 1 day attendances; and

The abc has an article urging cricket to play domestic games in regional centres (Cairns, Darwin were mentioned). Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-23/bevan-play-domestic-cricket-somewhere-people-want-to-watch-it/6876610

Fair to say that domestic cricket crowds are not something that cricket authorities are bragging about. NBL crowds, on the other hand, have a far more positive trajectory in capital cities.

Basketball crowds will always be limited by being an indoor sport. So any games vs USA etc played in a proper arena won’t be able to sell 50k or more tickets.

Reply #721058 | Report this post

Michel Jordan  
Years ago

" Plus Australia has been at times the best team in the world."

But aren't there only a handful of countries that play the game on a full-time professional basis?

Reply #721137 | Report this post

Michel Jordan  
Years ago

"You cant compare attendances to an outdoor sport played in huge stadiums with an indoor sport played with much smaller comparisons.

You could compare percentage of capacity filled though to get an idea of demand which basketball (NBL) would fare quite well. "

Isn't that only valid if the small indoor stadiums were sold out every game and there were waiting lists to get in?

Basketball's crowds aren't smaller than cricket because of limited capacity, it's because more people are interested in cricket.

Reply #721138 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

who cares if Aus is a big fish in a small pond - they were CHAMPIONS, and that's all that matter to a lot of people.

Reply #721142 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Basketball's crowds aren't smaller than cricket because of limited capacity, it's because more people are interested in cricket."

Yes and no. Playing in bigger arenas seems to bring more people through the door. There have been a number of examples of teams moving from bigger venues to smaller venues and not selling them out, even when their previous average was greater than the new venues' capacity, and vice versa moving to a bigger venue and getting significantly bigger crowds.

That said, playing in smaller stadiums is not the reason basketball gets smaller crowds than the more popular forms of cricket!

Reply #721148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cricket games last longer and generally attract yobbos and bogans who like to get drunk.

Reply #721159 | Report this post

Michel Jordan  
Years ago

"Yes and no. Playing in bigger arenas seems to bring more people through the door. There have been a number of examples of teams moving from bigger venues to smaller venues and not selling them out, even when their previous average was greater than the new venues' capacity, and vice versa moving to a bigger venue and getting significantly bigger crowds."

Interesting theory. Maybe it's the brand stigma associated with moving to a bigger, flashier venue ("it is new and exciting and demand must be good to be moving into a bigger stadium") and similarly moving to a smaller, inferior venue ("that product is on the decline and I don't want anything to do with it" e.g. Townsville Crocs playing in that old recreation centre type building).

Reply #721165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cricket is the most boring sport with soccer being a close second

Reply #721166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly anyone under the age of fifty watches cricket except for that t 20, which is run over a very short period. As said previously no one watches sheild cricket which used to get crowds back in the day or domestic cricket. It's bei held together by the old guard.

Reply #721176 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The main point is that you cant really compare the two sports like for like. Not only are the stadiums completely uncomparable, but every thing else from infrastructure, media, tradition, finances etc etc make the two sports uncomparable.

One advantage the NBL has over cricket is percentage of capacity filled in their venues. Even though NBL clubs arent selling out every venue every game, venues are much fuller than cricket matches are (apart from the really big matches such as boxing day test). Therefore atmosphere and intensity is better at basketball games than cricket.

But yes cricket is obviously more popular and will likely never change despite how much the NBL grows.

Reply #721199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide oval crowd today very poor in first test against India. The media coverage they get for such a small Crowd shows where cricket really is.

Reply #721342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hardly anyone under the age of fifty watches cricket“

Got literally any actual evidence for this bullshit champ?

Reply #721354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My evidence is looking into the tv an at the crowd, also all the young people that I've known and associate with.
You got any evidence proving the opposite, test cricket is being held together by T20, even one day cricket hardly draws a crowd.

Reply #721356 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not great evidence there. Would be interesting to see the demographics of their crowds the past two years when they've broken the all-time record for cricket attendance in Australia. What is the difference in demographics between BBL and Tests? I imagine a high percentage at BBL would be younger fans, but that's just a guess.

Reply #721361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cricket is more popular because we are watching the best of the best from all over the world. The nbl is not the best of the best and who would want to watch a league where blokes like goulding who is probably the 1000th best player in the world celebrate during games like he's the best ever.

Reply #721756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cricket best of the best, only played a few countries, and the Asian countries it's only the elite that get a go.
I’ll take watching Goulding any day over watching test cricket.

Reply #721759 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:24 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754