Jack Toft
Years ago

Brisbane v Melbourne Dec 8

4th place Brisbane host the powerhouse team from "Australia's most liveable city" Last time they met Melbourne took home the choccies.

Brisbane need to get these games and stuff the trophy on the wall if they are serious about a top 4 spot. It's OK to get a W against the weaker teams, but if they want to be a threat come finals, a home win against the organic soy latte sipping United boys (did I just assume their gender?) is a must. After all they are out of their safe space.

Can they do it? They need a plan to counter the usual suspects. Boone in the key, Ware driving in the key, Goldring outside the arc, plus all the others. On paper, it will be a hard task, but champion teams always beat a team of champions.

Brisbane need to step out of their lukewarm bath of performance have been sleeping in for the last 2 seasons. Wins in games like these make a team. Can they do it?

Melbourne by 7

Topic #44432 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

CG43 wow

Where does this guy sit in the pantheon of all time great NBL outside shooters?

Reply #721193 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Does Shane Heal ever not commentate? I know he obviously doesn't, but it seems he gets the majority of games. I dont dislike him, but wouldnt mind hearing the opinions of somene else every now and again. Only problem is the rest arent that great to hear either.

Reply #721194 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Surprised there aren't too many people on here. I guess some of us have a life on a Saturday arvo. Should be a decent game but I'm thinking Melbourne get it done after an extended break.

Reply #721195 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hooley, Casper, CG with nice scores, Barlow and Moller chipping in with 3s, if United keep shooting at this clip it'll be easy

But given how the seasons gone you just know there's plenty left in this, and it's probably going down to the wire

Reply #721202 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United is an exceptional defensive team

When they're shooting like this over 4 quarters they're bound to win

But, still early days in this contest

Reply #721205 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Shithouse reffing sees Casper get his 3rd foul before the half

Let them play and let us watch the guns please

Reply #721206 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kennedy is learning from CG, becoming one of the better floppers in the league

Reply #721210 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hooley and Kendle is uncanny

Reply #721215 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Every now and then Brisbane's D just looks awful and United gets a shot that's way too open

That's the main difference here

Reply #721217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane are awful defensively. Patterson is great on offense, but zero effort the other way. They won't make top 4 playing like this.

Reply #721219 | Report this post

That is all United have relied...the 3 ball.

If it falls then great, if not..then nothing.

Reply #721220 | Report this post

Australia putting there hopes on a medal on Lemanis LOL

Good luck with that.

Guarantee you we wont win anything as long as he is our head coach.

NOTHING

Reply #721221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah NOTHING. We probably couldn't even beat Qatar with him as head coach.

Reply #721223 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Talk about flopping

Hows Patterson throwing his head back before Moller made some minor contact

See that's an interesting one. Maybe an offensive foul, but definitely a horrific flop at the same time

Reply #721224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Craig Moller was already behind the eight ball in the looks department, but that hair is making it much worse.

Reply #721225 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh and I mean slight contact on the body. No head contact ever, but Patterson throws the head back. That was soccer worthy

Reply #721227 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Where does this guy sit in the pantheon of all time great NBL outside shooters?"

Of all NBL players who've played at least 50 games and averaged at least one 3 point attempt per game, here's where he sits for per game 3pt averages:

3pt attempts per game: 29th with 5.7 / 1st is Shane Heal with 9.5
3pt shots made per game: 32nd with 2.1 / 1st is Shane Heal with 3.6
3pt %: 83rd with 37.9% / 1st is Brenda Legassick with 46%, just ahead of Paul Stanley (45.8%) and Daniel Kickert (45.7%)

If we toughen the requirements to at least 100 games and at least two 3 point attempts per game, he sits 21st, 24th and 54th on the above measures.

Of course these lists include the pre 2010-11 NBL era, when the the 3pt line was closer to the basket than it is now. But they also exclude those players who only played NBL pre 1984, when the 3 point line was introduced.

If we only look at the 2010-11 season onwards, of players with at least 50 games and one 3 point attempt per game, Goulding sits 5th, 5th and 18th in the above measures. Of current players both Ware and Cotton have taken and made more 3pt shots per game than Goulding over the last nine seasons. Then Kickert, Barlow, Cotton, Coenraad, Deng, Abercrombie, Steindl and Ramone Moore all have higher 3pt percentages than Goulding over the last nine seasons.

I tried limiting the field further to players in the above lists who tooki at least half of their field goal attempts from outside the 3 point line. It moved him up the post-2010 3pt% list to 12th, with Barlow and Steindl the only current players ahead of him.

I derived this info from Andrew Price's brilliant Spatial Jam website. It includes all NBL games up to the Sydney-Perth game last Thursday.

Reply #721229 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Name another time Pat has flopped all season.

Live I saw it as Patterson trying to protect his face from Moller raising the elbow.

Reply #721230 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

One of the greatest chair pulls there

Reply #721231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does hooleys no how to pass the ball, Melbourne are terrible when he's on. Patterson flop of the year, his head was going backwards before Moller got near him.

Reply #721232 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wow thx PeterJohn, thanks for reminding me about that site

Reply #721237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee in danger of losing his spot to Kendle.

NBL app doesn't even have Kendle listed in the box score... Top quality stuff as usual.

Reply #721238 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bris defensive energy level went from low to intense, and the 17 point deficit has evaporated

Reply #721239 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

... what was that unsportsmanlike for?

Reply #721241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too many tattoos I think

Reply #721242 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Goulding got hit hard, no call

Now Patterson to the line when Kennedy got all ball.

Reply #721243 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Kennedy has to be the worst defender going around. Is Melbourne are stuck with a dud?

Reply #721244 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United living by the 3 here...will they live or die?

Reply #721245 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Goulding on that last 3...if that's Bryce Cotton in Perth, he goes to the line every single time

Last few mins has been great example of how home teams get the calls in the tight finishes

It is what it is but you can't deny it's real

Reply #721246 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Damned right LV. That is a shocker.

Reply #721247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you compare Cotton in Perth to a Melbourne player, especially Goulding, in Brisbane? That's a reach

Reply #721248 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Looks like a decent crowd in Brisbane tonight, which is a good sign. Also, good to finally get an enjoyable game this round after a couple of duds.

Reply #721249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL tv carked it

Reply #721250 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Interesting game and interesting times

Brisbane flicked the switch, turned up their D, United lost confidence, took me by surprise

Bris look like a better team with Kendle and Patterson firing compared to Holt and Gee.

Reply #721251 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Choo choo baby

Reply #721253 | Report this post

Crudee  
Years ago

+/-

Cadee -14

Kendle +24

Nuff said.

Reply #721255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best side won, the subbing of vickerman always has me scratching my head, McCarron with a rare bad game as with Kennedy but he sticks with them instead mixing it up a bit. Melbourne has a reasonable bench but they should be subbed in one two at time and not on all together.
Patterson far to good today as with the poor games of McCarron and Kennedy.

Reply #721257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gees didn't bother watching after I saw Melb up by double digits. Looking like it must have been a bit more exciting than the cricket.

Big statement win by brissie

Reply #721266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not difficult for most things to be more exciting than cricket.

Reply #721270 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This game should've been played tonight.

Reply #721277 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Agree with Zodiac or at least put another game on Saturday night.

Reply #721282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes a Saturday night game should be standard procedure. Two on Sunday is enough.

Reply #721285 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Three games tomorrow is just overkill. I can't watch three consecutive games how many people could?

Reply #721287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank Perth for Brisbane's win tonight.

Brisbane clearly learnt from their loss at home to Perth and have become better because of it.

Good guy Wildcats continue to support the league.

In case you missed it, their loss to Sydney helps build a case that David Wear is a good import. The more Sydney win with him, the less likely they are going to get rid of him.

Good guy Wildcats playing the long game!

Reply #721288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Bullet Train is starting to pick up some speed!

Reply #721290 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

And here we get a glimpse of Melbourne's Achilles'

They are a great team. Considering Perth's propensity for injuries, Melbourne have probably been the better team.
And Ware, whilst not MVP level, is a great player.

Unfortunately he has no backup. None. Flopking is a shooter. He's not the combo guard many teams seem to run in the 2 spot.
And Hooley should be a DP.

Benching Ware because of fouls cost them the game.
They've got to find him some backup. Either that or they must roll the dice and keep him on the floor.

Any chance they could sign Holt as an Asian-Market player?
Or maybe drag Rhys Martin out of retirement?

What happens if they make the GF, and Ware gets injured?

Reply #721335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron should play the point when Ware is sitting, though vickerman doesn't seem to have faith in him.

Reply #721336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne stuffed up letting Adnam go.

Reply #721339 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

They won't sign Holt as Asian market player.

Reply #721341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love the retards that said Kendle was a poor choice. So many experts with so much non knowledge.

Reply #721344 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

They need to do something>
Perth have shown, just how good depth can be used to keep things humming.
Barlow has been incredible so far, and I think they will come off a bit if he slows down, but at least they have a couple of options there. Depending on the opponent they could run with either Boone or Molner at PF.

Yeah, the decision to let Adnam go? He was a good backup.
I guess Vickerman has confidence in Hooley developing, but he could regret that decision.

Reply #721347 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

The problem with Flopking is that he's a one-trick Pony.
(Or two if you count Flopping.)

When he's hot, he can single-handedly turn a game. If he had not been injured, Melbourne win that game against Perth, he was freaking unstoppable. But when he goes off the boil, he goes righ off. Fortunately they have a good backup in McCarron

Reply #721348 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Next signing?

The talk on Brisbane's next signing revolves around an import PG.

In all honesty, the Bullets guards are not really the problem here. Cadee, Gliddon, Gibson, Patterson and now, Kendle (replacing Holt). Gibson off thee bench for Cadee or Gliddon and Kendle (for short, sharp bursts as per yesterday) for Patterson.

The 4's are great. Bairstow, Vukona, TeRangi.

Now in the Centre pos, Brisbane have Hodgson, then Magnay and Harrison listed as C's. In reality, Magnay and Harrison are L platers and only Hodgson as there on-court mentor. Add a "good", veteran C as a Hodgson back up and an experienced mentor for the future centres (I don't see Hodgson in that mentor role, yet. He is also still learning).
Yes, Bris can cover for the 5 with their 4's, they have done that job very well, until we come up against Bogut (Pineau/Acouth), Boone/Pledger, Brandt/Jervis - the TOP 3 TEAMS, by the way. Are Bris looking to guarantee 4th or do they sniff a chance at the top Spot?

Patterson's inclusion Gee and Kendle's appearance for Holt seems to have been THE shot that Bris needed. Think a back-up, or even a starting C is what they now want.

Your thoughts?

Reply #721358 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bairstow plays quite a bit at C, then they go small with Vukona, Te Rangi and Patterson together, which has been quite good for them (on the eye test, anyway), so I think they'd be content with their frontline. For mine it's the scoring guard off the bench, be that Kendle or someone else. Get that right and they're in good nick.

Reply #721360 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[What happens if they make the GF, and Ware gets injured?]

It happened last year

Ware only missed a half, but Hooley proved he belongs in this league, and United won the game.

Reply #721457 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Adnam is a legit NBL level player. Talented...at one end

He's a liability at the other

Hooley is serviceable. Can play 1 or 2, and no obvious weakness. Decent defender, can rebound too.

If I had to choose one, tough decision

Reply #721463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley dribbles th air out of the ball, better defensively than adnam but not offensively. Both should be played limited minutes.

Reply #721476 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:02 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754