Anonymous
Years ago

Lack of Saturday Night NBL games

I've been thinking about this a number of times during the season.

In most sports in Australia, Saturday night is one of the prime timeslots (alongside Friday night) for both TV viewing and attendance of sports.

The NBL seems to regularly skip this Saturday night time slot preferring double/triple headers on Sundays, or Thursday/Monday night games, all of which I'm assuming don't rate as well.

A huge missed opportunity imo. Particularly so far this season where there hasn't been much other sport on Saturday nights so far (AFL/NRL seasons have finished, BBL yet to start, ODIs havent been on Saturdays, Test cricket not during the night, etc).

Topic #44434 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Saturday night is a traditional NBL timeslot which is disappearing.

Plus NBL and WNBL are clashing earlier on a Saturday to add to the ridiculousness.

This is fucked.

Reply #721304 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Probably directed by TV. Fox would have a preference when they show NBL and its possible they dont want to show games on Saturday night - for whatever reason.

Reply #721309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also could have added the Aus summer of tennis in the OP. Other things like horse racing is done for the day, V8s don't clash/are now over. Popular international sports like NBA/Euro soccer/F1 don't clash with the timeslot.

The only competition for the NBL so far this year would be the A-League and recently the WBBL.

It's literally the perfect time slot for the NBL to try showcase itself. My Saturdays will often revolve around what major sports are on. Will regularly watch a big game/match of some sort with mates or family, watch a game before heading out, or if I'm having a quiet night in prefer to watch sport over a TV show or movie earlier in the evening.

NBL has made a big mistake with the lack of games.

Reply #721311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL tries to get teams to play 2 games a week, to do this a Sunday game has to be one of them (or Monday) and Thursday/Friday to be the other because of the requirement of a rest/travel day (this doesn't stop the NBL from sending a team all over the country in that day though). This reduces the amount of Saturday games available, there also needs to be a Saturday day game because of the deal with 9 and therefore there is no room for a Saturday Night game.

Now if the NBL could get a better timeslot on 9Go we could get Saturday Night games back, preferably Thursday or Friday Night, or maybe a double header on Sunday or the Saturday Night slot itself.

Reply #721319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was discussed when the schedule came out. The channel 9 TV deal absolutely screwed the average fan... It's a putrid schedule. Last year there was always double/triple headers on Saturday and it was great.

Somehow the theory is putting NBL on FTA TV in a garbage timeslot will grow the game, even it alienates existing fans. I don't get it.

Reply #721324 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NBL has no FTA games: "Why aren't there games on FTA?"

NBL has FTA games: "Why are we so determined to have FTA coverage that we'll take a bad time slot?"

Or: "Why aren't all games on FTA?"

Or: "Why aren't they on a better channel?"

People who think the NBL dictates which games are on which channel at what time astound me.

Reply #721327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not the issue. It's whether it's going to pay off economically.

Perth already used their out clause (for tomorrow's game in fact, swapped timeslot with Hawks vs 36ers) because something as simple as starting at 12pm instead of 2:20pm hurts their bottom line that much. They gave up FTA exposure to reduce the hit to their crowd figure - i.e. gameday income.

Reply #721328 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

From memory Nine gave netball evening coverage. So they view NBL as inferior to it. Let's face it there are only three commercial FTA networks in this country and they aren't interested in us. FTA $$$$ deal isn't happening.

Reply #721330 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, if the big-dollar deal didn't happen this year, when the Marvel Stadium games vs the US were part of the package, I can't see how it will ever happen.

Reply #721334 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Following on from @219, why does there have to be a rest/travel day. Remember the good old sunshine swing or the Perth/Adelaide back to back- bring those back!

Reply #721373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broadcast the games on Twitter. Fuck FTA

Reply #721401 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I have only watched a handful of games this year due to this. I either forget they are on at the earlier slot or am too busy during the day to watch or attend. One of the dumbest things ive seen from the NBL.

Reply #721648 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I have only watched a handful of games this year due to this. I either forget they are on at the earlier slot or am too busy during the day to watch or attend. One of the dumbest things ive seen from the NBL.

Reply #721649 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Another vacant Saturday night. They are messing with our traditions!

Reply #722702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's bull shit certainly at this time of year where there is FA on free to air.

Reply #722704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Monday games are a joke. No Saturday games again. The NBL pandering to the TV and Kestleman takes it up the arse.

Reply #722738 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Hopefully the league looks to reinstate at least one regular Saturday night game next season. The lack of Saturday night games hurts for many reasons but also because there is nothing to report on any sports segment the next day. With the amount of sports programs on Sunday its a good chance for the league to be talked about more if there was a Saturday night game.

Would also be beneficial to give a low crowd drawing club the Saturday fixtures too, to help boost numbers. Brisbane, Illawarra and NZ would benefit the most. Surely one game per week could be worked into the schedule and Fox co-operates?

Reply #722766 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Won't somebody please think of the children?

Reply #724097 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754