Jack Toft
Years ago

Breakers v Kings Sun 9 Dec

Triple Treat Sunday kicks off with Sydney crossing the ditch to tackle the Breakers. Last time they met the Kings won in double figures at home.

Bogut seems to have found his feet and rhythm in this league.

New Zealand are second to bottom in a ladder that is flatter than the tyres on a Model T in some shed in Whakatane. They have lost their last four games to Melbourne, Kings, Perth, Perth.

Despite their best efforts, it's probably going to be a handful of losses

Topic #44436 | Report this topic

Tom  
Years ago

Our only hope is for Kings to think they only have to show up, game turns into arm wrestle, and we shoot lights out. Then maybe we win by one. Otherwise looks like another blowout and Kings coast. Breakers don't have enough firepower. With present lineup I don't see us troubling Perth, Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane.

Reply #721380 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Kings were stuck in the airport for five hours yesterday, not ideal preparation.

Reply #721382 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If NZ want to play finals this is one of the games they must win.
Sydney is my pick to win.

Reply #721384 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"With present lineup I don't see us troubling Perth, Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane."

You lost to Perth in OT, Melbourne in the last minute and beat Brisbane! You haven't troubled Sydney at all though, will be interesting to see if Braswell has found a remedy.

Reply #721387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley's jumpshot is rank

Reply #721402 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Got the arm wrestle going. Kings helping by shooting so poorly. Keep it going for second half and we might pinch it. Neither team playing well!

Reply #721403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut whinges to the refs more than Joey Wright.

Reply #721404 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

30% and 35% is this really happening.

Reply #721406 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Danger time. Have to stay close going into 4th.

Reply #721407 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Man, Kickert needs to shoot that.

Reply #721408 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bogut showing touch he hasn't had in years.

Reply #721409 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Just 6 points from NZ that quarter.
They need to make import change asap.

Reply #721411 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

More points this Q already.

Reply #721412 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

What is the identity of the Breakers team? As a long time fan, I don't see an identity. Mika played with heart and set the tone and identity for this club. Finn Delaney and Ngatai are of the same ilk and should be given more minutes- they have more heart than the rest of their teammates put together!

Pathetic effort!

4-8 after today, though a few cheap wins against Hawks and Taipans will make the record flatter them.

Reply #721413 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Tyrell, don't underestimate the Kings ability to let the Breakers back in this one.

Reply #721414 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Who know, Angus H, hahah. Kings were stuck in the airport for 5 hours so they may falter a bit

Reply #721416 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Who knows*^

Reply #721417 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Big night from Weeks.

Reply #721421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tyrell, don't underestimate the Kings ability to let the Breakers back in this one"

!!!!

Reply #721425 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I should have added Weeks to the list of players with heart- he'a got game! Not sure what’s up with Webster but he appears to play with 0 heart and 0 effort (I’m sure he is trying but it doesn’t look like it).

Angus H, you were just about right too.

Reply #721428 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kings do like to keep things interesting don't they

Reply #721429 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings consistently start running clock and stop running offense with 2 mins left in games, and this is what happens. We deserved to lose that one.

Reply #721430 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Breakers make it close. But really it was the Kings who made it close. Two out of bounds and 2 TO's.
Hides structural woes within the Breakers. Jarrad Weeks and Bogut only players who can hold their heads high.

Reply #721432 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I thought we didn't deserve to win it, other than a good stretch in the 4th, we were poor.

Reply #721433 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, hard to feel too hard done by if you only put 70 on the scoreboard

Reply #721436 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As crazy as it sounds I fear for the Breakers survival in the next few years if it's going to be seasons like this.

NZ fans are fickle - especially when we inadvertently have the same types of expectations to other sports as we do to the ABs.

Reply #721443 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Bogut in the player/coach role is really getting it done for the Kings

Reply #721461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either play majok majok. Or bring in a big.

Delany gives what Moore gives

And ngatai gives what Richard gives

So you don't need either.

Webster and ili playing terrible.

Reply #721593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame breakers dont still have newbill, pledger

Reply #721596 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Match report went all in on Bogut and the Kings

Reply #721598 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yeah, what a weekend for the NBL hey. Never seen so many insipid shitty games.

Serious questions, is this some kind of hangover from the FIBA bye? Cos if so we need to fuck that right off.

Not sure why so many were convinced NZ would be a challenger this season? They're got an untried Coach, reduced budget, no decent PG.

Sydney not much better. Old and slow, being carried by Bogut, and you just know it can't be long before the human headline does something stupid.

Hope next weeks games are a return to normal.

Reply #721642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it is a hangover from not playing for nearly 2 weeks and yes we should get rid of the FIBA bye for sure. Just tell FIBA we're not interested in qualifying for Olympics anymore and we will carry on our season uninterrupted. Brilliant.

Reply #721643 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Serious questions, is this some kind of hangover from the FIBA bye? Cos if so we need to fuck that right off.
Not sure how you suggest we do that.

Reply #721644 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

HAHA... Yeah, "sorry FIBA, we don't want to play international basketball, if you want us, change everything around just for the NBL!" sheesh...

What was surprising was Wear had the Kings best +/-... Just goes to show that statistics aren't always everything, ey?

Webster obviously stuck in his head again... After that huge pre-season scoring game he had, I was certain that he was back on track, but things are just going from bad to worse for him this season...

Reply #721660 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wear had a bad start to the NZ game, but otherwise he looked competent this round - not high praise, but an improvement. If the Kings could avoid those 1 or 2 quarters a game where their offense grinds to a halt, I think we can do OK with a guy like Wear who actually does try out there, and is fundamentally not a bad basketballer. He's just not at all the stretch scorer that I expected pre-season.

At this point I think it's too late to replace him, just relegate him to the bench on reduced minutes if need be - Deng Deng can soak up some minutes, and coming on in the 2nd unit might even be a better fit for Wear.

As for Webster, agree with the stuck in his own head comment Wookie. I think you could visibly see his soul destroyed yesterday when he finally got to the basket for an easy 2 only to have Bogut come across and wipe even that away.

Reply #721661 | Report this post

LOL @ the people here thinking the referees are going to let the Kinsg win.

Reply #721851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally. There's no way the Kings win this one, especially if it goes down to the wire.

Reply #721869 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:45 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754