Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney @ Perth – Friday 14 December – 6.50pm AWST

Forecast - Min 21. Max 36. Sunny. Winds east to northeasterly 15 to 25 km/h shifting south to southwesterly during the day.

The biggest game of the NBL season.

Attendance prediction: Sell out.

The number third seed Sydney Kings (7-4) take on the first place and league leading Perth Wildcats (11-2) in an epic grudge match following their closely fought Round 8 clash, which saw the Kings come out victorious (77-72) against a Perth Wildcats team missing reigning MVP Bryce Cotton.

Following a lackluster performance in Sydney, the Perth Wildcats will be looking for revenge against the huddle crashing Andrew Bogut and his Sydney Kings.

$500 poorer, Gleeson will undoubtedly be giving his players the extra push this week to make up for their terrible shooting display last week.

After one week off, you could say the Kings are the in-form team at the moment, taking out two gutsy wins in Round 8 – but will they be able to handle the bright lights of RAC Arena and some old fashioned Perth home cooking?

Our tale of the tape

Kings - Perth
2 NBL MVPs 1
1 NBA Champions 0
0 Damian Martins 1
1 League Poster Boys 0
0 Red Army's 1
0 Fines this season 1

Topic #44445 | Report this topic

Senator11  
Years ago

"RAC Arena"

Kings are lucky to have a 24/7 breakdown service close by...

Reply #721701 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Can people stop cockblocking Jack Toft.

Reply #721702 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Jack Toft is funnier.

Reply #721704 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Jack Toft other than being an Adelaide supporter is best at these game threads.

Reply #721705 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agreed. Only I disagree with the biggest game of the season - Perth/Melb is a bigger matchup I think, after the last game especially.

Reply #721708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Toft is like a Twelfth Man tape. Funny the first time you heard it but then it becomes boring cliched nonsense.

Reply #721714 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Sydney should rest Bogut, Newley, Lisch, and just mail this one in. They're not going to win it anyway, and if they do, then its a guaranteed loss on the Sunday in Wollongong. Pathetic scheduling by the NBL having a 10pm Friday game and a Sunday afternoon match with a long flight in between.

Reply #721724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't realise Jack Toft was so proflific. While a nameless anon, I've done game threads from time to time. Didn't know it was a competition, I'm just hyped for the game of the season.

Reply #721726 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Bogut will obviously get a serve from the Army. Be interesting to see if he can do the mature thing and let his stats do the talking, or if he just responds by being an even bigger dickhead.

Perth without Cotton had to play their worst game of the season for Sydney to win. I don't see a repeat likely.

Much as I am grateful for a return to a normal timeslot, it does seem odd that it's Sydney. I'd have thought they would schedule Sydney's games in a better viewing timeslot

Reply #721728 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Jack Toft is a champ but I doubt he minds others sharing the load.
Sometimes there's a big game coming up and the thread needs to be created before Jack is ready to do his writeup. This one being a prime example.
The game is still 4 days away but there is already so much to discuss right now, such as:
- Are Jack Toft game threads better?
- Just how good is Jack Toft?
- Should Jack Toft have the exclusive rights to starting game threads?

Reply #721737 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

AD, there is no way Bogut will get a serve from the Perth crowd. The "love tap" that Gleeson refers to was such a nothing incident its really not worth him getting booed for it.

There will be a huge crowd there who want to see Bogut because he's Bogut, and the hype he attracts. Theres no reason for him to be booed unless he does something in-game to warrant it.

Reply #721768 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bogut will be booed IMO. Would expect nothing less from the Perth crowd, and I think Bogut will love it.

Reply #721774 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree. I expect there will be plenty of cheers, but no shortage of boos as well.
And I agree that he will love it.

And if the DJ is on the ball, he will play the Friends tv show theme song when Bogut is introduced.

Reply #721787 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Every team cops it chris, just the nature of the schedule. Should be a great game, personally friday night is prime time for an nbl game, especially to attend.

Reply #721898 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

With some of the ridiculous scheduling you see in the NBL each season. They should be keeping the historic Adelaide - Perth doomsday double

Reply #721904 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"there is no way Bogut will get a serve from the Perth crowd."

Obviously never been to WA, much less a wildcats game.

Fans love any excuse to rip into an opposition player. No real malice, just good fun.

And yes, Bogut should lap it up and try to dominate the scoreboard. Big test of his ego. Is he a showman, or just a dickhead.
The crowd won't intimidate him, but if it goads him into making mistakes trying to prove what a big man he is, then it will be job done.

"There will be a huge crowd there who want to see Bogut because he's Bogut,"

No sure where you're expecting said crowd?
I can guarantee that the majority of people inside the Arena did not even know Bogut's name until the incident last game.

(I don't know how it works elsewhere but I can assume you that the average Wildcats fan is not some sad NBA fanboy pining for a glimpse of their hero. Heck, many don't know the names of our own players, much less guys in the NBA.)

Reply #721905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogus played in front of over 40 thousend fans in the nba night in night out.

Reply #721907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

40,000 fans night in night out, lol. Do some research boy, most stadiums with max 20,000.

Reply #721910 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Pathetic scheduling by the NBL having a 10pm Friday game and a Sunday afternoon match with a long flight in between."

Don't see how it's different materially to what Perth & NZ had to endure last weekend. Game Friday night, the return Game Sunday late afternoon. Travel Perth to NZ and vice versa is longer and is an international flight and there is the time difference of 5 hours which is significant;

Plus in Perth's case, they had to go Perth to NZ, then NZ to Perth.

Point is every team has to endure this type of scheduling so its nothing new.

Reply #721940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth go 2-0 they pretty much wrap up top spot so this is a massive weekend which might decide where the GF is played

Reply #721948 | Report this post

andy  
Years ago

"I can guarantee that the majority of people inside the Arena did not even know Bogut's name until the incident last game."

LOLOL Swaka Lo Buluk gets the biggest noise all game when he checks in and even louder when he scores but no one would know who Bogut is. Sounds accurate. I would love to hear more of these guarantees. Do you guarantee that the majority of people inside the Arena have never seen the colour red? Do you guarantee that the majority of people inside the Arena do not know of the song We Will Rock You? Do you guarantee that the majority of people inside the Arena have never seen a flop? Whoopsie! maybe too close to home with that one!

Reply #721949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get the feeling that rant sounded better in your head

Reply #721953 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Hmmm, the Perth booing is massively overrated in my opinion and ive been to hundreds of Wildcats games including games where former players return. There will be passionate fans that will boo, but the majority will also be there to watch and appreciate a great player who has achieved incredible success.

Oh and maybe its just you that hasnt heard of Bogut prior to last weeks so called incident. Hes one of the most highest profile Australian sports stars. Pretty sure most if not all WA fans know who Bogut is. Give WA fans some credit...

Reply #721954 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"I can guarantee that the majority of people inside the Arena did not even know Bogut's name until the incident last game."

You are absolutely off your rocker if you think most of the people who will be at the game won't know who Bogut is, that's some disrespect to basketball fans!

"Fans love any excuse to rip into an opposition player."

Load of crap too, the majority of Perth fans boo when someone does something they consider "wrong" against us. Guys like Goulding etc get booed due to past discretions, booing for Bogut won't start unless he does something dirty.

Reply #721958 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Dazz you're an idiot.
Anyone with half a brain knows who Bogut is.
Saying that the rest of us don't even know some of our own players are is one of your dumber comments.
Wanting to see Bogut isn't about being a fanboy it's about seeing one of the best Australian bigs to play the game.

Reply #721959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which one is bogart?

Reply #721961 | Report this post

andy  
Years ago

When you have an odd opinion about something and you then assume everyone else has the same opinion that is called projection. The post by AD is clearly wrong but because it is projection it reveals his own ignorance.
And Bogut sneaking into our huddle the other day is enough of a reason for some people to boo him. I think the "any excuse" post has some truth to it.

Reply #721963 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No sure where you're expecting said crowd?
I can guarantee that the majority of people inside the Arena did not even know Bogut's name until the incident last game.
(I don't know how it works elsewhere but I can assume you that the average Wildcats fan is not some sad NBA fanboy pining for a glimpse of their hero. Heck, many don't know the names of our own players, much less guys in the NBA.)

Not since James Ennis was here have I heard as much interest in a game from non-Cats-regulars as I have for this Friday. Not that I claim that my personal experience reflects the whole city. But you'd have to have your head a really long way up your arse not to know who Bogut is I reckon.

Reply #721973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To add to that, its been a long time since the top tier was released on a sunday afternoon from the week before.

Reply #721975 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Point is every team has to endure this type of scheduling so its nothing new."

I think it's relatively new in the larger history of NBL scheduling, MACDUB? I mean the back to back games scheduled on the same weekend, regardless of travel, is a recent scheduling choice.

I can't recall if it happened at all under BA management - there may have been occasional weekends like that. However, under current management, it's a deliberate marketing strategy and teams routinely are scheduled to play each other twice in a weekend.

At least that's how I recall how it's reached this point. Happy to be corrected if my memory's at fault.

Reply #721979 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ I just had a look on Ticketek and the top section is indeed being sold.
I feel like those seats are usually classified as "Nickel" - is that correct?
Because for this game they are being sold as Bronze!

Reply #721980 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Hey all, I'm fairly new to this site so don't know the deal with DAZZ! Is it poss that he was being sarcastic. My immediate thoughts were that it was just a dig at WCat's fan but all comments re that were jumping all over DAZZ. If he does deserve that I want to know. Can't be caught laughing at things said by some-one everyone hates (LOrL).

Reply #721981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think some of you are giving way too much credit to the majority of red army fans.

Basketball in WA has reached a point where there a lot of casual die hard fans.

They don't know the game of basketball or players, but they love the wildcats and being part of the red army.

I agree that the portion of red army fans who don't know who Bogut is will be larger than many people on hoops suspect.

That said, I hope the red army boo's bogut just for theatre.

You can boo a player but still respect and admire their game. It's all part of the experience.

FYI - Dazz was a popular poster on Hoops because he was so one-eyed in his enthusiasm for the Wildcats. He also was that educated or knowledgeable about basketball in my opinion. He was the poster you loved to hate.

Reply #721988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Wasn't

Reply #721990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Basketball in WA has reached a point where there a lot of casual die hard fans."

What is a casual die hard fan? Someone who only watches the movie at Christmas time?

Reply #721992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a casual die hard fan so can explain it. It's a classic but I've seen it quite a few times. If I happen to flick past it when channel surfing there is a fair chance I will keep watching it but I don't make a special effort to find out when its on and I don't own it on dvd.

Reply #721994 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"You can boo a player but still respect and admire their game. It's all part of the experience."

Yes, but why boo Bogut in the first place? (theatre isn't really a good enough reason lets be honest). What has he done to garner any displeasure or disapproval from Perth fans.

Granted, people can boo a player and still respect or admire their game - but the people who are booing still usually have a fundamental basis to boo in the first place (e.g. Hayward returning to the Jazz).

By your definition, any crowd should just boo any opposition player for the hell of it?

Reply #721996 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Yes, but why boo Bogut in the first place? (theatre isn't really a good enough reason lets be honest). What has he done to garner any displeasure or disapproval from Perth fans. "

100% agree, Bogut would have to "Childress" one of our players for me to boo him. The huddle thing was funny, Bogut being a cock, but Gleeson was worse in that situation. I'm sure there will be quite a few people that boo him for no reason, I won't be one of them.

Reply #721997 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree it was minor and shouldn't be held against Gleeson or Bogut;

If on the other hand, Bogut signed for Perth, left a few rounds in to go to Sydney, then beat Perth @ Perth whilst playing for Sydney and proceeded to stamp on a logo of a Wildcat's legend at their home court - well then, I'd say boo away! ;)

Reply #722000 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

He's a cock, but couldn't imagine he'd be that big of a cock!

Reply #722004 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon 961

Humphrey Bogart:
"You're not a star until they can spell your name in Karachi".

Reply #722011 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

I'm glad that Australia’s leading bogan venue is home to so many casual Die Hard fans.

Reply #722013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut invaded a wildcats huddle and invited Gleeson to push him.

He's a bad sport and that’s enough to rile up the feathers of the die hard casual wildcats red army members.

If you want to see what casual die hard wildcats fans look like just join the Cat Chat group on Facebook.

Reply #722015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was saying "Boooo-gut"

Reply #722017 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Teams best player is reason enough to boo them, anything to try throw them off their game right? Try get under the best players skin, have him focus on the crowd instead of the game... I guess that would be a reason to boo Bogut?

Reply #722023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly right Craig. Its helping your team win, it doesn't have to be rational. Its had more success than not at Perth so I'll be happy to do my bit and boo whoever needs to be be booed.

Reply #722025 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

You Can call me whatever you want, but I am not the poster known as Dazz, I have never used that name.

Obviously, anybody that follows basketball in a wider sense knows who Bogut is, that's not the issue.
And again, I can't speak for other states, but I can tell you how things operate in Perth.
There are a lot of people who follow the Wildcats because they are from Perth, and becuase they have been so successful. Same people also cheer on the Glory and the Force. If we regularly kicked your arses in Badmington, it would get a huge following too.
When we played at Challenge, yep sure, we were all died in the wool diehard basketball tragics.
But since moving to the Arena, the Wildcats have become a great night (or morning) out. And even so, it is possible to be a passionate wildcats fan without giving two hoots about basketball outside of Perth.
Now that may disgust you, but their support is valid.
I am often surrounded by casual viewers, a lot seem to get the seats through work. And some of the stuff I've had to explain to people is mind-boggling. Like why we have the "wrong" singlets hanging from the rafters, why the black guys are professionals from America and not refugees, where Jervis has been for two years.
Oh, and try telling your average Wildcat fan that Martin isn't from Perth.

As for the booing, as I said there's no malevolence, its all part of the theatre, but fans will serve it up to anyone given half a chance.
And As I said, I wouldn't expect it to phase Bogut one bit. We can only hope that it goads him into committing more fouls

Reply #722043 | Report this post

Fertsy  
Years ago

The old members, supporters, fans discussion...
Your 2000 odd float in/out single gamers (fans) yep may not know who bogut is and your corporate box (supporter) guests may or may not know as well...
Your members coming to every game unless of wedding, funeral or stupid pre-midday start may not know the 10 & 11th man on each team, but will know the stars of every team. Plus every Sydney NBL news story mentions Bogut, let alone the press coverage when he signed up.
"Bogut? oh the big guy from the NBA right, playing for Sydney, or was it Melbourne, fark he must have alotta money to leave the NBA, has he played for Australia?"

Reply #722046 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The booing, if it happens of course wont phase Bogut at all, he'd probably even prefer it. Agree with everyone that says that. But there would have to be a reason to boo (and even moreso to do it all game) and that so called incident with Gleeson is hardly 'boo-worthy'. Booing to put off a great player to help your team win? Does that actually happen?

If there are boos, and im sure there would be a few from some overly fired up fans, i doubt it will be significant enough and done consistently throughout the game, unless something happens during the game to get the fans worked up.

And AD, you must be sitting next to some absolute morons if they're asking you those questions!

Reply #722050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on Not Dazz, you are basing your assumptions on the people that sit near you, who aren't regulars, and who get freebies. You have basically taken the same sample size of a few nearby seats and applied it to the entire Perth sporting public. That's just retarded.

Reply #722051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly the type of people you'd expect to be sitting next to AD

Reply #722052 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

ADD2.0 whoever please do not speak on behalf of other Perth fans.

Reply #722053 | Report this post

Bol2.0  
Years ago

"I'm a casual die hard fan so can explain it. It's a classic but I've seen it quite a few times. If I happen to flick past it when channel surfing there is a fair chance I will keep watching it but I don't make a special effort to find out when its on and I don't own it on dvd."

Anon that is not a die hard fan. Even a casual one

Reply #722055 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Keep in mind that this whole Bogut thread was started by someone claiming that there would be a huge crowd there just to see Bogut, which, all other arguments aside, is a pile of twaddle.

It's a (now rare) Friday night game. Wildcats could sell out the Arena playing a SEABL team. To suggest people are there just to see Bogut is beyond laughable.

I've never claimed to speak on behalf of anybody, but unlike some I am realistic about what makes up the diversity of a Perth crowd.
And whilst I may have been a bit hyperbolic before, I can absolutely, no shit, assure you, that the number of people turning up just to see Bogut, will be handsomely outnumbered by those who have no real idea who he is.

And I'll reiterate, if you think Bogut is going to be welcomed by anybody "because of what a superstar he is" then you need to have your doctor dial back the happy pills.
And this is another no-shit guarantee you can take to the bank, the number of people cheering bogut, will be outnumbered by those jeering, by some order of magnitude.

Now any chance we can discuss the game? Or do you want to keep on explaining how much everyone in Perth loves Bogut?

Reply #722056 | Report this post

Clancy McClusky  
Years ago

Which Perth are you residing in Dazz!!! Are you talking about the Wildcats of the Scotland caber toss league?

Of course friday night would be a sell out regardless. But i can safely say that many wildcats fans would have penciled this one in as a must see at the start of the season. Never before has the kings coming to town been such a huge draw card. Geez i wonder why this time is any different?

Reply #722061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez Lousise, you all have been pullin on your dicks so hard you have hurt your brains if you think for one moment Perth fans are turning up to watch and applaud Bloguts Thats the funniest thing I have ever read on here cos yeah were all goin to wear Purple to make him feel welcome as well

Reply #722062 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Absolutelynot Dazz might be confusing "Drawcard Player" with "OMG I Love That Player and will be cheering for him to destroy the Wildcats" judging by his/her responses to some of the things said here.

There is added interest as a result of Bogut. One person in the state denying it doesn't make it untrue. He'll still be wearing opposition colours though and 11,000 of the fans in there will be mostly the same 11,000 who are there supporting the Cats in all their other games so it's not like they're going to suddenly be Kings fans on Friday.

Now any chance we can get back to discussing Jack Toft? I feel like his thread-starting abilities had not been fully debated by the time all of this Bogut interest denial & rebuttal got going.

Reply #722064 | Report this post

Bol2.0  
Years ago

JT well just may be the biggest draw card to hoops

Reply #722066 | Report this post

Clancy McClusky  
Years ago

Alrighty lets get even more off topic than the actual game or an ex aussie NBA player playing in the game

Reply #722067 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Forecast for 38 degrees here in Perth on Friday, I'm gonna melt...

Reply #722079 | Report this post

Where can i put everything i own that the Wildcats will attempt more Free Throws than the Kings?

Reply #722158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure you know what betting agencies set odds for NBL. Maybe you can post a photo of your $5 ticket

Reply #722166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its only Wednesday, he wont get his pocket money until Friday night.

Reply #722168 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Remember though you must be 18 to gamble and please do so responsibly.

What team do you support kid?

Reply #722170 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Still plenty of tickets available.
Cats might have stuffed up by cranking up the prices so much for this game.
$56.05 + ticketing fee for the worst seats in the house is a major piss take.

Reply #722171 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

What NBL team do you support 'What's happened to the NBA'??

Reply #722172 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

What happened to the NBA, you could go to one of those salt immersion therapy centres and you would STILL be the saltiest person there.

Reply #722174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Still plenty of tickets available.
Cats might have stuffed up by cranking up the prices so much for this game.
$56.05 + ticketing fee for the worst seats in the house is a major piss take."

Its all good cuz, all the bloguts fans will buy them so they can cheer him on cos we all love him in Perth

Reply #722177 | Report this post

Referees at home licking there lips at the rimming they are going to give the Kings tomorrow night.

Reply #722183 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Referees at home licking there lips at the rimming they are going to give the Kings tomorrow night.

Is tomorrow Friday already?

Reply #722188 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"11,000 of the fans in there will be mostly the same 11,000 who are there supporting the Cats in all their other games so it's not like they're going to suddenly be Kings fans on Friday."

Don't go being sensible, people will get upset.

"Cats might have stuffed up by cranking up the prices so much for this game.
$56.05 + ticketing fee for the worst seats in the house is a major piss take. "

Not sure if they have done away with Nickel completely? I could be wrong, but I thought Nickel had been reduced to only a few rows in the back corners? I think all the "balcony" seats are now Bronze.

And you can blame the NBL for that.
Wildcats are struggling to sell extra tickets to most games, so they're forced to gouge the few Friday Night games.
Keeping in mind that the overwhelming majority are season members.

Reply #722189 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ahh, that's my bad if those have been bronze all season. I'm pretty sure the whole top section was nickel in previous seasons.
There were quite a few people up there last game. At those prices I'm kinda shocked by that. Steep on multiple levels.

Reply #722191 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"He carries on like a bit of a pork chop sometimes on social media and maybe carries himself in a way that I don't particularly agree with sometimes, but on court I still think he's a really great player"
-Angus Brandt on Andrew Bogut

Angus Beef vs Pork Chop Bogut should now be extra interesting. Which meat will win?

Reply #722293 | Report this post

Wildcats will attempt 38 FTs to the Kings 15

Book it.

Reply #722300 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I hope they do so that you can continue to post same crap regularly.

Reply #722301 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

My parents have a family pass where they take my niece and nephew to games... tomorrow night my niece cant make the game so I have been asked if I want the ticket.

I heard because its a childrens ticket id need to pay extra to use it, they sit in gold section and was wondering if anyone has done this before and if so how much they needed to pay?

Reply #722305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I heard because its a childrens ticket id need to pay extra to use it, they sit in gold section and was wondering if anyone has done this before and if so how much they needed to pay?"

Had a friend get pulled up on this once before, we managed to BS our way out of it at the gate and got in, but yeah you'll need to pay for an upgrade, I can't remember exactly how much it is though

Reply #722307 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I hope Randle busts out of his funk Friday night, but maybe not against Martin. Always a tough ask to pick up a W in Perth though, and I expect Bogut's run of (relative) foul-free games to end either way. Win or lose, hopefully it's not another 70-64 type scoreline snoozefest.

Reply #722308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of phantom fouls will be called on Bogut as a result of cats flopping. Randle will be slowed down by Martin & Norton hacking the shit out of him. Cotton will get the full LeBron treatment and score 30+ while Lisch will get no favours and maybe get a dozen. Hopefully Newley's 3 ball is dropping to keep the Kings in with a slim chance.

Reply #722311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear...

Reply #722312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know it's a perth game when a thread is on track for 100 post before tip off!

Reply #722325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know its a Perth game when people are already blaming the refs two days before the game starts

Reply #722327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut - The Other White Meathead

Reply #722330 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

So who's the original white meathead?

Heal, or do we need to look to another sport?

Reply #722337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a classic. People claiming that Perth are going to turn out to see and cheer Bogut! And youse reckon Dazz is the retard? Yeh Dazz is only one person and shouldnt speak for the rest of WA? Yeh I reckon Dazz speaks for about 11,000 members and about 1000 regulars and promably another 1000 casuals who will definates not be there cheering for Bogut. Newsflash retards our last Friday night game attracted over 13100 people - who do you think they were there to see? Caddee?

Reply #722359 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Sydney capable of playing poorly e.g. Breakers game, firing on about 2.5 cylinders. But they are a better team than Perth and should be too good. Perth will scrap and fight and could upset but I don't expect that result.

Reply #722362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you figure Sydney is a better team?

Reply #722372 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

So regardless of Bogut playing or not it makes no difference to the people going to the game? That logic alone is stupid. While it wont impact the attendance as much since PA is usually near capacity every game because members alone fill it up, if you think this game has the same level of interest as any other game then your crazy.

Put it this way, if Bogut was a last minute withdrawal due to injury, im positive there would be a deflating dissapointment from the fans even if they go to every game anyway and generally dont care who they're playing.

Interest alone in this game from the media has been significant, plus the cats have increased prices for tickets to a game that is clearly in hot demand (though its a bit greedy and im not thrilled about that personally)

Reply #722389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just imagine if the Kings beat the cats tomorrow night.
Are you imagining it? It's sweet isn't it. You're smiling aren't you. Make it happen Kings. Bring joy to the whole rest of the country. It is nearly Christmas time and that is a time of joy after all.

Reply #722391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats fans don't go to see other team's players. We go to see our team win.

And it happens. A lot.

Reply #722392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Put it this way, if Bogut was a last minute withdrawal due to injury, im positive there would be a deflating dissapointment from the fans even if they go to every game anyway and generally dont care who they're playing."

Oh man on man HAZ you really have been drinking your own piss haven't you. You really reckon Perth fans would give a flying shit if Bloguts was out? Tell the truth now youve been smoking something naughty havent you?

Reply #722397 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Perth and their fans gotta sometimes look outside of Perth and look at the league as a whole, or they will be left playing with themselves.

Bogut has without a doubt sold extra tickets around the country, especially in his 1st game at any place and drawn greater media and broader fan interest. Which can lead to more sponsors, etc for the NBL and clubs around the country.

Not sure if that has made tonnes of $$$ but the NBL has a genuine marketable star that even more casual fans have heard of.

Whether he should or shouldnt stay in his lane with his comments is one thing, and could be debated either way, some people like these high profile people to have a voice, others wish he would just shut up and play basketball, I can see both logics, and probably tend to lean towards him staying more focussed on basketball and less on the other issues. But at the end of the day its his life he can say and do what he likes within the laws and morals of society.

Reply #722402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone got their Victoria grapes ready?

Reply #722404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*victory

Reply #722405 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Lol very good "Anonymous 397". Just the type of response expected on here. Well done

Reply #722409 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Kings better than Perth in most areas with one exception, defense, scraping and hustling.
Bogut more valuable than Cotton. He affects the game so many different ways. Randle and Lisch playing poorly at the moment but they have the potential to rip any team at any time. Perth probably only has Wagstaff under certain conditions.
Kickert is bonus time. They get by without him at moment but a player who can get going. Newley is another that they don't rely on. You would take Bowen over Hire anytime?
Team v talent. Talent 80% of time!

Reply #722414 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I reckon system defense chemistry and experience prevails over talent 80% percent of the time ;)

Reply #722415 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sydney's defence is as good as Perth's. Over the past month or so I think they've been the best defensive team in the league.

Reply #722422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth's main advantage is having a coach.

Reply #722424 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Perth's main advantage is having a coach."

Matty Nielson

In all seriousness, should be a cracker!

Reply #722427 | Report this post

SK  
Years ago

#722477 indeed it should. What with pork chops running around and standing where ever they like,refs ensuring that they have their "different" RAC Arena whistles at the ready and us feral Red Army being at our feral best. Bring it on!

Reply #722431 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Perth wasn't even tipped to play finals, yet sit on top. Sydney have to show they can win here,perth don't have to prove anything.

Reply #722433 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I would agree with Bowen over Hire.
But give me Kay over Wear and Kickert.
Steindl over Wilson.

Reply #722434 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #722435 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Looks like most of the 400 section seats are mysteriously back to being Nickel today (and all other sections have only single seats available)

Reply #722437 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I don't buy this Kings are better than Wildcats theory.

Bowen's better than Hire in general, but Hire's been way more productive to us than Bowen has been to the Kings recently.

The backcourt is going to cancel each other out I think in this game, 2 former DPoY in Damo and Lisch covering Randle and Cotton. Norton will struggle a bit without trying to foul Randle. Even.

It's going to be won in the front court IMO, Jervis and Brandt need to contain Bogut as much as possible, but need to provide offense too which they both haven't done in recent times. If Kay has his way inside against Kickert and Wear then Cats have the edge inside IMO.

The rest: Terrico, Wagstaff, Steindl and Vague vs Newley, Pineau, Wilson and Deng. Cats easily have the experience, depth and talent.

Coaches: Gleeson/Knight - daylight - Gaze/Copeland

Yep, disagree that Kings are better.

Reply #722440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wouldn't be surprised if the Wildcats win by 20+

They may just come out red hot after their dissimel shooting performance against Sydney last round.

Crowd will get into it and Sydney will never be able to rally back.

Bogut will get pissed, receive a tech.

This sets up the the last chapter in this trilogy of games.

Reply #722443 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Just had someone from the Wildcats membership team hang up on me because when asking how much it would cost to upgrade from a childs pass to adult so I could use it tonight it turns out to be cheaper for me to just buy the cheapest ticket at the arena then proceed to sit in the membership seat.

After saying I cant do that (but unable to tell me how they could possibly stop me), She said its wrong of me to do it and if she was in my position she wouldnt do it because its the wrong thing to do... then she hung up.

Delightful...

Reply #722447 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I guess it isn't wrong in what she is saying...guess it all depends on your own personal moral compass and the difference in price between the cheapest seat and the upgrade. She probably shouldn't have got so upset about it though, lol.

Reply #722449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems stupid that you wouldn't be able to do it the way you wanted. surely they could just charge you the different in price between adult and child ticket and some token admin fee and get it done. wildcats don't want your money? wildcats don't want every seat to be filled? thats very arrogant.

Reply #722451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to do it with the cricket at the WACA, mainly with test matches that weren't sellouts. Buy a general admission grass ticket for $20 bucks then go sit up in the stands in the shade lol.

Nothing they can really do about it. When ever I see people in sports sitting at at the very back while there are plenty other better/empty seats I always wonder why more don't move.

Reply #722452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some weirdos think that paying for a cheap seat and then sitting in an expensive seat is the wrong thing to do since it is basically stealing.

Reply #722453 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Hardly stealing when my parents paid for the membership already prior to the season starting and I am still paying for an adult ticket (just a different seat). No reason to get so upset and drop your level of professionalism and hang up on me.

As for my moral compass - I choose a seat with limited view that probably wont be sold regardless and then make my way to sit in a better seat with my family... I will sleep at night just fine (especially if the Cats win).

Reply #722454 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"As for my moral compass - I choose a seat with limited view that probably wont be sold regardless and then make my way to sit in a better seat with my family... I will sleep at night just fine (especially if the Cats win)."

Exactly, I concur.

Reply #722455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs hanging up on their own members? What is going on? This is what happens when Jack Toft doesn't start the thread.

Reply #722456 | Report this post

Every budding referee that wants to learn how to maipulate a result should look not further than tonights game.

Reply #722457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for my moral compass - I choose a seat with limited view that probably wont be sold regardless and then make my way to sit in a better seat with my family... I will sleep at night just fine (especially if the Cats win).

Put yourself in the shoes of the Wildcats, it even doesn't have to be the Wildcats, can be any ongoing concern.

They are trying to turn a profit and you are trying to backdoor the convention, how do you think they should act? I think hanging up on a customer is poor form but you certainly didn't help matters.

Imagine if you tried that with Qantas, trying to buy a child ticket for an adult.

Reply #722459 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

"Put yourself in the shoes of the Wildcats, it even doesn't have to be the Wildcats, can be any ongoing concern.

They are trying to turn a profit and you are trying to backdoor the convention, how do you think they should act? I think hanging up on a customer is poor form but you certainly didn't help matters.

Imagine if you tried that with Qantas, trying to buy a child ticket for an adult"

Thats the thing though - im not trying to buy a child ticket for an adult. My parents are members who have a family pass as they take my niece and nephew to games... my niece cant make it and I was happy to pay a difference as I am an adult using the seat for 1 game that otherwise would go unused (so they already have their money regardless for the seat).

Also what did I do that didnt help matters? all I suggested (politely I might add) was that is would be more financially beneficial for me to purchase a cheap limited viewing seat and then proceed down to my parents empty seat and sit there... I dont believe that deserves being hung on on.

Reply #722462 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"All I did was suggest stealing, I don't understand why they're upset with me!"

You're welcome to buy the cheaper ticket and sit in that seat, nobody would have a problem with that.

Reply #722465 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"I love pork chops" but there are only skewers on the BBQ. Huh?

Reply #722471 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

While we're picking at the photo, it also shows Perth Arena instead of RAC Arena, and also shows Trevor in the vicinity of a ref but his mouth is closed.

Reply #722479 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

"All I did was suggest stealing, I don't understand why they're upset with me!"

You're welcome to buy the cheaper ticket and sit in that seat, nobody would have a problem with that.

Have I paid for a ticket - yes
is there a vacant seat closer to the court that I can sit in - yes

Not like its never been done before by probably a vast majority of people in other NBL stadiums where they fail to sell out...

Reply #722482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was a hawks fan I'd be buying back row and sitting courtside every week

Reply #722506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a cats fan I just gotta say....

Dunno who this Bogut guy is, but he's a dead set pork chop..

Beef is Killin him, and now he's passing it to cotton

Reply #722517 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wildcats more offensive rebounds than the Kings have total rebounds. That's the difference so far.

Reply #722518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone seems to have gone silent after a big lead up to this game.

I bet there are 1000's of fans crying in the stadium ATM cos Bogut is playing like Crawford or Ogilvy knowing he's in perth

Reply #722521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just imagine if the Kings beat the cats tomorrow night.
Are you imagining it? It's sweet isn't it. You're smiling aren't you. Make it happen Kings. Bring joy to the whole rest of the country. It is nearly Christmas time and that is a time of joy after all."

I told you!!! Can you all feel this joy!!!

Reply #722604 | Report this post

TrumpD  
Years ago

15 point lead. Cough. That is all.

Reply #722609 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Have I paid for a ticket - yes
is there a vacant seat closer to the court that I can sit in - yes

Not like its never been done before by probably a vast majority of people in other NBL stadiums where they fail to sell out...
And if everyone jumped off a bridge...

Reply #722611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your very quiet what's happened to the NBA

Reply #722635 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yeah, shitty way to lose a game. To be comfortably up and basically goose it away.
It was an even game for about a half, then the Wildcats predictably started to draw away. Then just fell apart in the last few minutes. Pissed me off the they were killing us in transition, and Wagstaff & Kay were toddling down the court like a pair of old codgers.

Reply #722711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754