Pork Chop or Pest?

How would you best describe Andrew Bogut?

Topic #44457 | Report this topic

Russ  
Years ago

The best (Or Worst) is yet to come!!

Reply #722315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Por qué no ambos?

Reply #722316 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From time to time, we're exposed to aspects of people with significant public profiles, aspects for which they have not achieved their fame. Remember when Malcolm Turnbull was in front of media trying to shoot a basketball or John Howard bowling a cricket ball I think it was. Andrew Bogut makes me think about those moments.

This isn't to say, "stay in your lane" but maybe to remember that we sometimes see a politician with a pedestal despite their sporting ability, or an athlete with opinions typical of the average person but remarkable mostly because they have a megaphone to go with them. Like any sports fan, Bogut has opinions on refs and on the world around him. He just gets interviewed or has more social followers than the typical dude.

He also brings to mind my Clive Palmer theory, that it's possible to achieve success (potentially through timing, luck and despite yourself) but assume a supreme confidence in your pathway or opinion. 'I made millions and felt like I was working for it, therefore anyone working hard can make millions.' If Bogut were six foot rather than seven foot, what changes?

All that said, I think it's fantastic that he's playing in the NBL and that he is a serious contributor (MVP candidate) in a big market. Sure, he's getting paid, but he could go off living the high life or playing out his years in China instead. Whichever team he suits for, it lifts crowds at each stadium and gets press. Brilliant!

Reply #722317 | Report this post

Soooo pork chop?

Reply #722324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloguts has always been a dickhead. Never measured up to the hype of his number one draft pick, except maybe in his own mind. Thing of it is that big egos like his are the norm in the NBA. It's why I hate American sport. People wnat to cliam that its the premier Basketball competition, because it has the best players, and maybe thats true. But its all about the individual. Doesn't work in Australia. We dont like people who are full of themselves. Even despite all his big talk about coming home to his home town to play, United wouldn't stroke his ego/dick enough so he went to Sydney. And to be truthful hes a perfect fit - The Kings have alsway been the dickheads of the NBL its why they have no loyal fans. So yeah he could have gone and played in some European league but he wouldnt have gotted the ego boost. I keep waiting for the inevitable news report when he gets himself into trouble in some Sydney bar and gets his head punched in.

Reply #722326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut - The Other White Meathead

Reply #722328 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I remember as a draftee he was on the TV, squishing up his nose and criticing kobe bryant. Which seemed hilarious at the time and still does.

Reply #722343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the tall poppy syndrome is still alive and well in oz ^

Reply #722347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it tall poppy? If he was just some guy at work, I'd still think he was a dickhead for the way he carries on.

Reply #722349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tall (pork) choppy syndrome

Reply #722351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm baffled by the amount of people that believe everything that comes out of someone’s mouth just because they are good at a sport.

Reply #722352 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I haven't had a shot at Bogut for sometime but he was 'dead' to me as a fellow Aussie to support in the NBA when he bagged out the careers of Gaze & Longley before he had even set foot on an NBA court.

Reply #722353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong, the "Tall Poppy Syndrome" is a myth perpetuated by the media in defence of its own dickheads.

Australians love their champions, and their stars. More so than many countries.
Amongst anyone over the age of 40, the Love and Respect for Bradman was almost universal in this country. Even amongst those who barely followed cricket. We knew he was a champion, we knew he beat the Poms at their own game, and moreover he was perceived as a Gentleman.

What we don't like is dickheads, and more so dickheads who are nothing promoting themselves as somebody.
Moreover, special hatred seems to be reserved for those who've had the good fortune to be good at one particular thing, and view that has divine proof they are God's gift to Humanity.

Apart from just being a dickhead, plain and simple, Bogut is a champion of a sport the vast majority of Australians barely know exists. But one in which, unlike most minority sports, he's been able to make millions. Rather than be grateful for that, he carries on like a wanker at every opportunity.

Oh, but dodn't worry. Supposedly everyone in Perth loves him and will be cheering for him tomorrow night.

Reply #722357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SO who is the most successful Australian to play in the NBA? Bogut claimed it would be him before he'd played an NBA game. Now that its all said and done and given the roleplaying qualities of his career: I feel Longley still has him beat for service and who/what he had to put up with ie. Jordan, Rodman et al. Thoughts?

Reply #722360 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's irrelevant there's nothing to discuss that fact he upon being drafted decided to publicly shit on the two biggest legends of Aussie basketball spoke volumes about what kind of a guy he was.

Reply #722365 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Oro #316, oro

Reply #722366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because most Australians don't know about basketball and the NBA. Nice one Sir!

Reply #722368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, i cant stand the bloke but i think his draft day comments were blown out of proportion a little. He essentially said he isn't going to be another Gaze or Longley (ie bench/role players) and he was right.

Reply #722371 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I missed what he said this time to get everyone riled up.

Ah, never mind - firstly I can imagine, secondly I don't care.

Reply #722393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Zodiac, i cant stand the bloke but i think his draft day comments were blown out of proportion a little. He essentially said he isn't going to be another Gaze or Longley (ie bench/role players) and he was right. "

Are you off your meds?
Longley was not only the first Australian to play in the NBA, he was the Starting Center for one of the most dominant basketball dynasties of all time, and won three, lets count them, three championships. As opposed to Bloguts, who just happened to be carrying the spit bucket for the Warriors when they won a championship, and they dumped his ass soon after. Literally gave him away for nothing just so they didn't have to pay him. He then spent the remainder of his "career" being paid to sit on his ass. The reality of the NBA now is that even an ass-dragging, bench-warming baboon like Bloguts can make millions. And good luck to him. Obviously the difference in standard means hes a dominant player in the BL and good luck to him. Doesn't mean he isnt a total wanker who needs to learn to keep his mouth shut his ugly mug out of other teams huddles and his hands to himself.

Reply #722396 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Well let's put it this way I think if the Bulls in a similar would not of resigned Longley if they had a chance of signing say a Charles Barkley or Karl Malone.
Oh and I respect what what he’s achieved in his career and what he’s meant for Australian Basketball.

Bogut unfortunately says he naturally drawn to Conspiracies but is neither left or right in his "Political View" but he has retweeted some stupid and racist people from the right.

Reply #722400 | Report this post

W00kieE  
Years ago

He definitely says a lot of what I'd call crazy shit but he also says a lot of shit just to cause trouble... It's the world we live in today that people have to be left or right, so if he says he's neither side, I disagree, but it's up to him... Being famous and rich and a role model to kids doesn't mean that he shouldn't be a wanker or mean that he's excluded from being a wanker...

Tall poppy syndrome is just called that by people who think that because someone is famous and/or exceptional at something, doesn't mean that they can't be called out on being a dickhead... Which, as people have mentioned above, isn't the Australian way... Be the best at something, we love it, but be a dickhead and we should and will, call you out on it...

Reply #722408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

come on, Sydney won, so where are all the fnaboys who claimed Bloguts would be cheered by the Perth crowd? Turns out Dazz was right - Bloguts got a fair booing

Reply #722748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754