Jack Toft
Years ago

Melbourne v Perth Dec 17

Monday night NBL is back and this time they won't forget the gravy.

Melbourne have had a pretty quiet round so far. Plenty of time off to have a barbie and watch tapes of Perth getting dacked by Sydney in Perth. In fact, twice in 8 days.

Perth had a very strong start to the season and even with injuries they have shown their depth to claw out some amazing wins this season. They are the hunted and tonight Melbourne are the Hunters. Will Melbourne go "wabbit hunting", or will they get themselves a "feral wildcat"?

The standout from the Thursday night win was that only 14 points came from the Perth bench compared to Sydney's 33. Perth overwhelmingly won the boards with a massive 21 offensive boards giving them plenty of second chances.

The telling stat tonight might be those bench points. While Perth have shown they have the depth, Melbourne have the outside arc. The starting 5's might be pretty even but it is how the coaches can squeeze that extra 1% out of their bench.

Last time I said the team with the fresher legs would win, and I was proven wrong. I don't think I'll be 0-2 tonight....

Topic #44473 | Report this topic

AD  
Years ago

Honestly don't know what to expect going into tonight's game.
I get the impression Melbourne aren't playing quite as well as last time, but then the wildcats have played a few shit games in a row.

Crazy thing is we seem to play better with some players out injured.

IMO its going to come down to a few things:
Is Boone still injured? They'll need more than 12 minutes from him.
Are CG & MM going to light it up from outside? Perth seem to struggle against good outside shooters.
Will Gleeson get his defensive match-ups right, something he has often refused to do.
Has Wagstaff had a good long hard look in the mirror, and will he stand up tonight, or continue coasting to retirement?
Can White stop throwing up shit?

Reply #722972 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Last time these two met, CG43 put on a classic shooting performance before getting injured late in the game.

That was the 4th game of United's season, with CG putting up 20+ points in 3 of the first 4 games.

Since that injury he's missed a game or two, then he played 5 minutes without putting up a shot against Cairns. Then sat more games.

Since his eventual return, in 6 games he's 10.5ppg shooting 33% from the field.

When he's at his best, United will be very hard to stop. They're a strong defensive team, but they rely heavily on Casper and CG at the offensive end. Last week, Brisbane shut United down by essentially double teaming Casper. No one else could capitalise on the 4 on 3, and the rest of the team was just ineffective. Ordinarily, I'd expect CG to be catching those first passes out of the double team and drilling 3's at will, or creating something.

United needs CG to get going again. He's been out of form and lacking confidence. Tonight will be his night- I hope. He's well overdue.

Reply #722977 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yep, agree with that.
That's why I hope Trev gets his match ups right. Ware is in my view the best PG in the league. He can do it all, and we need to shut him down. I'd be tempted to start Martin on him, and tag-team all night with Norton.
I would suggest starting Norton on him, and bringing on Martin if CG looks like lighting up... But we know Trev will ride Cotton so thats not going to happen.

Reply #722981 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

perth unlikely due to the refs ... it is said - repetition gives a sense of security

Reply #722986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on how vickerman uses the bench, if he plays his starters plus McCarron thirty to thirty five minutes like he has been doing they'll lose it down the stretch like they have been. Kennedy, Goulding, Barlow and McCarron have been not quite on in the last few games, they switch it to on and vickerman shares the load, Melbourne by 10, if he flogs the starters Perth by 6.

Reply #722990 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Can't see us winning over in Melbourne to be honest. Will just wait for the media and everone to jump the gun and say Cats are done for the season all over social media, good times.

Reply #722992 | Report this post

Anth  
Years ago

Thinking Melbourne by 7 points.

Reply #723003 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Head says Melbourne, heart says Perth. Wait and see, bring on the "sack people threads".

Reply #723019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth continuing where they left off the other night. Unable to put the ball in the basket.

Reply #723025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis has been solid so far

Reply #723026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is although he is lucky to be out there. Got away with a big foul that would have been his 3rd

Reply #723027 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

In fairness it was also the only foul he's actually committed.

Reply #723028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He is although he is lucky to be out there. Got away with a big foul that would have been his 3rd"

2nd foul looked like Moller took a bit of a dive imo

Reply #723029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That was no flop"

(Sees replay)

Laughter ensues at obvious flop

Reply #723031 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Goulding flopping

Reply #723032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding flops on his drive then 15sec later gets cleaned up by a Norton screen lol, bit of karma

Reply #723033 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Perth look flat. Their offence is rather stationary, and they cant hit a thing

Reply #723034 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Terrico is in trouble. Adds nothing when Cotton is cold. Need a James Ennis type people.

Reply #723035 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon 990

Are you on United's coaching staff?

Vickerman riding starters pretty hard. On track for 30 min plus games for Ware, Goulding n McCarron.

Reply #723036 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

What game is Homicide watching. That was an automatic block by Norton on Goulding down the sideline.

Reply #723037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding has gone full toddler. He's in as much self denial about his own actions as Tommy is about eating the chocolate cake.

Reply #723038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding is legit up to 5+ genuine flops already in the first half

Reply #723039 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

One point deficit at the half feels extremely generous after how ordinary we were.

Reply #723040 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

P. Cooper is getting better

Reply #723041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once cotton and white going Perth will win

Reply #723042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you'd get to the line Goulding if they weren't flops

Reply #723043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Usetahoop

Just no how vickerman coaches, was same at nz, was part reason Wesley went back, plus also mates with breakers coach.

Reply #723044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has there been a more poor defender in league history than goulding. He has had to switch on to 4 different players in the first half and perth know this and just give his man the ball. Every one of his opponents has just blown by him.

Reply #723045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and every one of Melbourne's refs has been blown by him

Reply #723046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God who even cares about these "celebrities" it's ridiculous

Reply #723047 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon 038

But there's no denying that you can buy a Chinese car for $22 990. Complete with asbestos.

Reply #723048 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This is U.G.L.Y. from the Cats

Reply #723050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a fucking embarrassment from perth

Reply #723052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no one from wildcats even looks like being able to score

Reply #723054 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Has to be 3rd import time for the Wildcats.

Reply #723055 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Wildcats needs a better SF

Reply #723056 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Cotton looks tired. Agreed Goulding is a baby but he can shoot and he has it going in Q3. Probably out of reach now for Perth.

Reply #723057 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not that a 3rd import would hurt, but this BS is not a personnel issue IMO.

Reply #723058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be bringing in Carrick Felix if I was the cats management would be a perfect fit with cotton

Reply #723059 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

White needs to save his job this quarter in my opinion.

Reply #723060 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

In the afl you take a players legs and its a free kick, but not in the nbl i guess... Perth are playing terribly.

Reply #723061 | Report this post

Name  
Years ago

Wildcats needs Sheldon Jeter

Reply #723062 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

We almost look awake atm. Just 2 hours too late.

Reply #723063 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Should put Steindl on court.

Reply #723064 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Long few weeks ahead for the Cats I think. Lucky we took advantage of the soft start. Going to need it.

Reply #723065 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Might as well put the bench on. McCarron just put this one on ice.

Reply #723066 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Fair to say Homicide and some Adelaide fans will be stroking themselves tonight.

Reply #723067 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Isn't it funny how Cotton's shot percentage goes up when he doesn't flop on three-pointers

Reply #723068 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Why are United's stars still out there?

Reply #723069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nick kay, the only cat to show up tonight

Reply #723070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne wouldn't Barlow for Kay, Barlow showed tonight who the best four in the comp is and it ain’t Kay.

Reply #723071 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Can't say I agree. Barlow certainly showed tonight which team was better at creating open looks though.

Reply #723072 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

3rd import coming shortly

Reply #723073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is definitely better than Barlow, and that's not a knock on Barlow, he's playing well, but Kay has been awesome this season.

Reply #723075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying Barlow is better than Kay is like nominating Loughton for most improved over McCarron.

Reply #723076 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Would getting a third import eliminate the need for replacing White?

IMO getting a better import than White might be the better option otherwise the cats could end up with two average imports that contribute very little.

Reply #723079 | Report this post

What happened Perth?
Refs couldnt bail you out?
You played a decent team at full strength?

Reply #723081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if Liam Santamaria or a short stocky little Christian Bale

Reply #723082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White looks spent. Injuries left him with no athleticism , slow , tired. THey need a high flight who can bring a different dimension to the team.

Wagstaff - Should retire been woeful for ages

Reply #723083 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What happened Perth?
Refs couldnt bail you out?
You played a decent team at full strength?

It all went horribly wrong for us, Whats happened to the NBA.
Someone assured us that the refs were our buddies and would never let us lose, but once again there was zero evidence of it and we got thumped.

IMO getting a better import than White might be the better option otherwise the cats could end up with two average imports that contribute very little.

I agree with you, Bol. In theory at least. In reality you never quite know what you're gonna get from a new import.

Reply #723085 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A third import isn't required just an upgrade for White will be sufficient.
A three man who can play four in a pinch.

Three point shooting would be handy but not essential. Steindl fills that need.

Reply #723088 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

White isn't that great defensively and on the boards so if he's not hitting his shots he provides very little to the team. Definitely need to upgrade to a more versatile three man.

Reply #723091 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Gross...all that needs to be said about the Cats performance tonight.

Reply #723094 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

When Cotton has an off night White needs to step up. He did not.

Reply #723099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh Boone is so so bad this season

Reply #723105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, what the hell is going on, suddenly everyone is agreeing with me - "Would getting a third import eliminate the need for replacing White? "
To answer that question I'd say yes, They need to pull the trigger now, piss off Wagstaff, and get a proper SF. Somebody who's a actually a forward and can handle some of the bigger SFs, but more importantly can get to the basket and score, reliably. - Keep white coming off the bench in spurts. Less pressure, and if he gets hot you can leave him on. - Unless you know Casey Prather is available, Id hate to see them swap White for an import that might be no net gain.

Reply #723110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd hate to see them swap White for an import who is a nothing but net gain

Reply #723111 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Troy did nothing last season when we were cooked during mid-Dec to mid-Jan. A massive fade is happening again so it will be interesting to see how invested the club really are or will they merely continue off of the fumes of recent titles. Does the CEO even have authority to spend? We'll see.

Reply #723114 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Manu

"Isn't it funny how Cotton's shot percentage goes up when he doesn't flop on three-pointers"?

I know it's a rhetorical question, but there could be at least 2 answers.

1. He shoots so much better when balanced and in rhythm. Kicking out the legs and adopting weird body positions to create and/or accentuate contact for a foul call interferes with his balance and rhyth.
2. His mind is too busy worrying about the foul to focus on shooting.

Reply #723123 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Really don't know how Wagstaff made the Australian team.

On the flipside, how good is Kay. If you look at his season statistics, they make for impressive reading. Definitely a hugely underrated player.

15.6ppg, 9rpg, and 3apg on 63%FG, 34%3PFG and 86.4% FT.

Reply #723132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:57 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754