AKA
Years ago

Mid season point - Awards

Now that we are at the absolute half way point of the season - 9 rounds down and 9 to go - I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on the front-runners for the major awards up to this point.

Champion:
MVP:
MIP:
6th man:
ROY:
COY:
All NBL 1st team:

Topic #44480 | Report this topic

SirBastian  
Years ago

Champion: 36ers
MVP: DJ
MIP: DOYLE
6th man: TEYS
ROY: MCVEIGH
COY: JOEY
All NBL 1st team: CONGER, DENG, LARKINS, TEYS, DELEON

#NOTEVENUPFORDEBATE

Reply #723129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Champion: Sydney
MVP: Lamar Patterson
MIP: Matt Hodgson
6th man: Mitch McCarron
ROY: Harry Froling (even though he is a dirty prick)
COY: Andrej Lemanis
All NBL 1st team: Ware, Cotton, Patterson, Kay, Bogut

Ladder:
1. Sydney
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane
4. Perth
5. Adelaide
6. New Zealand
7. Illawarra
8. Cairns

Semi Finals
Sydney 2-0 vs Perth
Brisbane 2-1 vs Melbourne

Grand Final
Sydney 3-2 vs Brisbane

You heard it here first.

Reply #723135 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What about Hoops Forum awards?

Reply #723140 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm pretty much aligned with Anon above.

Champion: Melbourne
MVP: Patterson
MIP: Kay
6th man: McCarron
ROY: Froling
COY: Lemanis
All NBL 1st team: Cotton, Ware, Patterson, Kay, Bogut

Reply #723154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What about Hoops Forum awards?"

Best Anon Poster?

Reply #723155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, I had Hodgson as MIP.

I should have had Te Rangi instead

Reply #723159 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Champion: Kings
MVP: Ware
MIP: Te Rangi
6th man: Kickert
COY: Lemanis
All NBL 1st team: Bogut - Kay - Patterson - Ware - Trimble

Reply #723173 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Champion: Perth
MVP: Cotton
MIP: Norton
6th man: McCarron
COY: Gaze (hate this pick, but he will get it if Kings finish top 2)

Reply #723183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CHAMPION - Melbourne
MVP - Patterson
MIP - KAY
ROY - GRIDA
6th MAN - McCarron
COY - Beveridge

ALL NBL - Randle, Ware, Patterson, Kay, Bogut

Reply #723184 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

No Cotton in all NBL teams for first half of the year, lol. Sounds about right for this forum...

Reply #723237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Champion: Melbourne
MIP: Kay or Te Rangi
6th man: McCarron or Kickert
COY: Lemanis or Beveridge
ALL NBL 2nd team: Randle, Trimble, Sobey, Johnson, Long

Reply #723239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron started more games so far than off the bench, won't be 6th man if it continues.

Reply #723243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grida for ROTY. Quiet achiever but works hard every game and consistently at both ends of the floor. Also much more likeable than Froling, who acts like he's a vet already.

Reply #723412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not very clear what you are asking? - Are these awards given at the Mid Season Point? - Or are you asking us to speculate on what happens in the 2nd half?
HALFWAY FINISH
Champions: Perth Melbourne
MVP: Cotton Patterson
MIP: Te Rangi Steindl
6th: McCarron Martin
ROY: Froling Naar
DPOY Lisch Martin
COY: Lemanis Braswell

Reply #723440 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Awards to date (rather than predictions):

Champion: Perth
MIP: Te Rangi
DPOY: Bogut
COY: Gleeson
1st TEAM: Bogut, Kay, Blanchfield, Cotton, Ware
2nd TEAM: Johnson, Barlow, Sobey, Lisch, Randle

Patterson will be the 1st team SF by the end if he keeps recent form up, but he's only played five good games so far.

Reply #723475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First mention of Gleeson so far. At this stage of the season he is clearly the front runner for COTY.

Reply #723476 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

... for whinging.

Reply #723480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, he is clearly the front runner for Coach of the Year for whinging. That makes perfect sense.

Reply #723485 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sure does!

Reply #723489 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well, *in* whinging.

Reply #723491 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's quiet in here. Fire up people and defend your man!

Reply #723492 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Alright I have to admit the above is a mess. Firstly this what I get for using a stop gap $30 tablet while on the market for a new laptop/tablet.

Secondly we are in the middle of the NBL season and I wake up this morning to threads on "Premier League", SEABL, Big V, SBL, an Aus player in Europe, issues in Tasmania, WNBL, everything and anything but NBL. DAFUQ! No problem with other basketball but I want me some NBL so was desperate to generate some content with bait.

Now on to the point above as I've hopped on a PC. I'm not one for fantasy lists and casually skimmed the posts above previously. While I don't have an issue with paul putting Gleeson in as CoTY as he is entitled to his opinion I really have to put #723476 on notice here. How can you make a blanket statement that Gleeson is clearly a frontrunner and questioning why no one else had him down as CoTY when the 'Cats have just played five quarters in a row of sh*tshow basketball. On top of going 0-3 recently (taking out the game against spud Taipans), all against contender teams. Our record was inflated by playing weaker opponents. You can't ignore Strength of Schedule in fixturing. What are we now against the contenders of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane? 3-5. Filter it to just Melbourne & Sydney you get 1-3 with the one win being very fortunate (that call plus Goulding injury). We've beaten up on weaker teams when the chasm this year between Top 4 and Bottom 4 is at its widest in recent NBL history. It wasn't that long ago (season before last) we had a super tight ladder. That parity is now gone.

Let's get real here fellow Wildcats fans. We are and will always be a second rate city to Sydney and Melbourne. They are world cities and we aren't even top tier within our own country. Let's stop using our NBL team as an outlet for an inferiority complex. Just accept it. I'm born and raised here with family, friends and work. Stop acting like 10 year olds whenever there is even an illusion of attack against your team. OH NOES TREV ISN'T BEING RATED AND HE'S FROM OUR TEAM!!!!1 Yeah, I remember being biased to our players and coaches etc. when going to the PEC back in the day as a kid but actually matured and got over being so blatantly one-eyed. Plus Dr. Adrian Hurley was a gentleman. :P

Gleeson is a whinging ping. I'm appauled as a fan at his continued behaviour. The meathead easily got sucked into Bogut's baiting but got away with it. Bendat is 93 and Troy isn't a real GM so there is no one to tell him to tone it now. I get he is from country Victoria and used to being a snarling bogan to get his own way but it is not acceptable behaviour of a head coach. I actually feel for the refs as well during games, even though they are terrible. Yeah yeah Joey is also menopausal now but this is about Gleeson. Come at me Perth but it is what it is.

inb4 everyone tells me to go back to posting short replies on my tablet.

Reply #723512 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I thought most of us Cats fans disliked Gleeson? When he does that shrug, don't you just want to break both his arms off?

Reply #723520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for putting me on notice Perthworld. Next time try not to deliberately leave out the circumstances Perth have faced this year when discussing their ladder leading record. Summarise it as "strength of scheduling" if you like. It just shows your ignorance.

I'd cherry-pick parts of your posts too but I generally pay much attention to what you say.

Reply #723521 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

MVP: Bogut (RU Kay/Cotton)
MIP: Te Rangi (RU Kay)
DPOY: Bogut (RU Kay)
6th: McCarron (RU Richard)
ROY: Froling (RU Grida)
COY: Gleeson (RU Lemanis)

Reply #723529 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh well I tried. Slow news day.

Reply #723536 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:06 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754