Jack Toft
Years ago

Breakers vs Hawks, 21 Dec 2018

An arm wrestle to watch. Both teams in the hunt for #4 spot and last time they met, the Hawks got over the Breakers on their home turf.

The form of the Breakers going into this is a little shaky with 3 losses against the Big 3 and a win against the Taipans, who are more Pythons this season. The Hawks with form that make you wonder if they could surprise everyone with a sneaky Bradbury come finals time.

The refs in NZ let the game flow a lot which is what I think suits the style of both teams. Picking a winner is harder than picking a broken nose with a broken finger.

I'm going to give my kiss of death to the Hawks to steal another cookie from the Breakers cookie jar. If they can do it once, surely they can do it again?

Topic #44489 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Game being played in Hamilton too (about 1.5 hours drive south from Auckland). Interesting to see what the crowd will be.

Reply #723627 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's great they are bringing the love to the other NZ cities.

Reply #723628 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The stadium in Hamilton is around the corner from where I live. Great central location.

I do think that NZB will bring more games around NZ especially as they are seeming to increasingly struggle with Auckland crowds.

NZ fans are fickle so we don't tend to go to too many events if we're saturated with it; i.e. if we have 14 or 15 opportunities to go throughout the year as Auckland do, chances are we"ll only go to a few. But as a country we love going to one-off events/novelty factor which is what a lot of these other cities get from moving games to the regions.

A regular season game will also be played in New Plymouth in Jan 2019.

Reply #723635 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Plus Wellington in March.

Reply #723637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB how does playing at different venues work if you are a member. Do you choose how many games you will/can attend?

Reply #723642 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Not sure, think there's different packages available I think (i.e. all and any NZB home games, or you can get just 4-game packages for Spark Arena like they do for the NBA etc).

I suspect the cost of a membership is factored into the amount of away games from Auckland.

I actually think it probably helps membership numbers financially-speaking but that's just my opinion.

My own opinion is that people don't want to be paying $200 -$300 for season memberships - that's a lot of money in NZ that not many people in Auckland have lying around. People would IMO prefer lower cost, but fewer games memberships i.e. $55 for 4 or $100 for 7 etc- and I suspect that's why NZB and other teams have started to offer those 4 game packages.

Reply #723652 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Breakers due a win I think.

Reply #723661 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

This is a banana skin for both teams. Winner gets hope, loser is toast. Pressure on Illawara, Breakers want to be the spoiler.
Battle of the defences. Both teams give up points too easily.
Field goal % and key plays down the stretch will decide this!

Reply #723666 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

That is the second time in as many days I've heard 'banana skin' used as an adjective, after never having heard it before.

What in the world does it mean?

Reply #723672 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

A game to slip up on!

Reply #723683 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Corey Webster out due to ankle injury.

Reply #723693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks MACDUB. I can understand the strategy behind the various packages. I was just wondering if the games not played in Auckland, but still in NZ, would be counted as an away game for members. Enjoy the game!

Reply #723695 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Shit, remember the Akil Mitchell eye situation. Just remembered that was a thing

Reply #723696 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Moore should have gotten a tech for doing pushups with his legs over Grida there. Unsportsmanlike behaviour

Reply #723698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

unsportsmanlike but v. funny

Reply #723699 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Tough watch this. Never seen such a messy game.

Reply #723701 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

It's messy, however big cash needs to go on the over.

Over 163.5 at half-time. You kidding? Five thousand down (one unit)

Reply #723703 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Hawks slipped on their own banana skin. Terrible effort. Breakers in charge of this one. Hard to see Hawks turning this around. Not impossible?

Reply #723705 | Report this post

Hawks and Taipans will be the next 2 teams gone from the NBL.

Taipans had been struggling financially even when they were pretty strong on the court. Now that they are the laughing stck of the league, it will be next to impossible for them.

Hawks wont be too far behind them.

They will be replaced.

Reply #723708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shawn Long abusing these rims harder than Whats happened to the NBA abuses a dead horse

Reply #723715 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hahaha, fantastic.

That's one hoops contributor I can't cop

Reply #723730 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

A lot of stupid turnovers from NZ but they looked good pushing the ball.
NZ's zone with Armani Moore in the middle at the top was suffocating the Hawks, he read the passing lanes well and kept them closed.
Long seems to be finding his groove within the team and how the game is called.

Reply #723898 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:04 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754