Anonymous
Years ago

Are Perth reluctant to make changes?

We have seen Brisbane and Adelaide make import changes.
Looks to be paying off for Brisbane in particular.

Wonder why Perth haven't gone after a third import or White replacement or both.

Is it due to finances??
Thoughts?

Topic #44499 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this point in time, yes they have been reluctant to make changes.

Reply #723952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the time Brisbane and Adelaide made changes, it looked like they would miss the top 4. Whereas Perth has been in the top 4 all year. If they drop out then they might make a change.

Reply #723953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they are just willing to back the guys in atm. Sure they're in a bit of a slump, but this Wildcats roster is still arguably the best in the league imo.

Cotton is probably the best player in the league. Kay is probably the best PF. Brandt is one of the better centres when healthy. White has shown he can be a good player. Damo/Norton is one of the best PG rotations in the league. Stiendl has been veru good off the bench. Wagstaff/Jervis have been up and down. Hire/Vague have been solid contributors.

I wouldn't mind seeing them use the 3rd import spot to just give them a good weapon off the bench, but at the same time this is still a very good roster.

Reply #723954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their second last on 3 point percentage, they brought White in for his 3 point shot and its mostly been inconsistent. As the season gets longer not having easy 3 point shooters will cost them games.

As it stands on 3 point shooting:
* Martin keeps missing
* Hire keeps missing
* Wagstaff keeps missing
* White mostly missing
* Steindel ok but defensive liability so doesn't play much

They should of been the ones bringing in Konger - stubborn ownership these days tries to win el-cheapo. The cookie monster last year clearly wasnt going to do it.

To me the management of the cats are not hungry to do what it takes to win a championship - something the other contenders seem to be willing to do (new personell etc..)

Reply #723956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of they use 3rd import spot then who goes Wagstaff, Jervis or Hire?

They only need to win 4 or 5 of remaining 12 games to make playoffs (6h and 6a) but would want to make the changes to keep top two and HCA.

Reply #723957 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not sure we're really going to get an A-Grade import here for Wagstaff/Hire/Jervis dollars

Reply #723959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'd be in a tight spot financially due to only having one finals game last year, paying Cotton top dollar, and losing revenue from the stupid midday games.

Reply #723961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be using White's money for top dollar import.

If Perth stay the way they are then they will beat the patsy teams eg Cairns but lose to Sydney and Melbourne.

The playoffs streak will continue but it is meaningless with a semi final belting.

Reply #723965 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Hire would be the one to go out first. But contrary to what many people think the wildcats do have a budget and i doubt they will have the room to bring in a third import.

Ideally if they were to keep white he'd be a great player to have coming off the bench to add some scoring punch. Then add a 3/4 type import and replace Hire. But as another poster said they do have a very good squad and are just in a bit of a slump which every team goes through in a season.

The cats have been the worst three point shooting team for many years. But they tend to always back their players in and rely on their experience to overcome weaknesses. Last season it was a mistake not replacing Cooke after the retirement of knight but generally its been the right decision in keeping the faith in their current squad.

Reply #723966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Hire goes. He showed his value with his hustle and rebounding when we were hit by injuries. It should be Jervis if it's the clubs call, or Wagstaff should do the right thing and retire.

Reply #723973 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

You can't win a tittle with 2 imports, plain and simple. Like with anything you have to spend money to make money.

Something must be happening behind the scenes for them not to pull the trigger. Including last season had a chance for a threepeat and let it slip.

Reply #723976 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

You can't win a tittle with 2 imports, plain and simple.

Can't say I agree. Swap White for Blanchfield and Perth would be capable of winning a title with 1 import IMO. It's about quality, not nationality.

Reply #723983 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Now or Never for Wildcats' Third Import
(New article on NBL.com.au)

Reply #723985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This quote from the article is pretty interesting

"We are probably playing too many guys at the moment, I'm playing 11 guys, so I have to get five guys that are playing together," Gleeson said.

I've felt the last few seasons like gleeson goes way too deep with his bench, you really only need to go maybe 9 deep in 40min games

Reply #724006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how the writer casually suggests adding a Lamar Patterson type player would be beneficial. No shit, but he's an A grade import and I'm not sure you're getting that in your third import spot.

Also, the wildcats main problem isn't the wings but it's the backup 4/5 positions. Wagstaff and Jervis have been brutally bad.

Reply #724012 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Something must be happening behind the scenes for them not to pull the trigger. Including last season had a chance for a threepeat and let it slip."

Money, a yes man GM that doesn't demand anything and an ageing owner (93) who may not be making decisions himself anymore with representatives who aren't interested in sinking further resources into a plaything.

Reply #724029 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Reply #724111 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Reply #724112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz?

Reply #724114 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

White looks good compared to Wear.

Reply #724119 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Seemed to be a problem yesterday.

Nick Marvin, from my interactions, was a nice enough guy, but he was also sharp as a tack, and driven, He would make the hard decision. (Including sacking Coaches.)
Georgiu is the living embodiment of the Peter Principle.

The other thing you need to remember after Jarron Johnson, is the Olympics.
Trev was in Rio, so he was recruited by Neilsen and Marvin.

I fear Trev may be more reluctant to pull the trigger on a guy HE Recruited.

Reply #724219 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:15 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754