yeet
Years ago

Sydney vs Melbourne 23/12 Game Thread

game thread for the game of the season.

Topic #44504 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"game of the season" A big call, and one that is most likely to offend some Wildcats fans who might call a training session between two teams because they are not involved.

Ladder positions amongst the Top 3 could change according to the outcome. Sydney are on top of the table after a run of 4/4 wins, and at home will want to make amends for losing to Melbourne earlier in the season. Melbourne are in 3rd spot with Brisbane being their bogie team this season.

And talking of bogies, isn't the Bogie Man playing well? He is leading the rebounding with nearly 12 boards a game and that is setting up a lot of plays. I bet the NBL commentators are sick of saying "Bogut gets the rebound and passes off to Randle"

Melbourne match up well against Sydney. Boone and Bogut, Ware and Randle, but Sydney are on a roll. Melbourne average a higher score per game, but this game will be a slog. Melbourne fans better get and extra shot of organic, socially responsible grown coffee into their latte today, this game is a mini GF to wrap up before Christmas. I'm calling it. Put a red nose on Lisch, he's the one to watch today and he will be Rudolph leading Santa Bogut's sleigh so the Bogie Man can give every good King's fan a present today, and all those Melbourne fans get to admire the wonderful Kings in action.

Sydney by 2

Reply #724142 | Report this post

yeet  
Years ago

sydney by 8, im going

Reply #724143 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sold on Melbourne they match up well against Perth but Sydney are a different beast now they're rolling with stifling defence. I think these two teams are going to be in the GF as most expected.

Kings by 7

Reply #724144 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hard to call this one. I agree game of the round with ladder positions up for grabs.
All Perth can do is try and beat Illawarra today.

Reply #724145 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Seven units on Sydney

Reply #724147 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Melbourne fans better get and extra shot of organic, socially responsible grown coffee into their latte today,"

I hope the Melbourne fans had bitter, cooked avocado on their toast made from wood-fired non-allergenic gluten free sourdough this morning. It'll help them prepare for the bitter taste of their avocado import getting outmuscled and outplayed by the 7 foot returning prodigal son.

I like the way Boone plays. He was great for Melbourne in seasons past, but looks to be on the decline this season.

Bout to go out hard and spend time playing above the rim, stuffing balls into the Kings’ Christmas stockings, which will be hung from their net by Randle and his merry elves.

Reply #724150 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Sorry: Bogut to go hard

Auto co-wreck strikes again.

Reply #724151 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

UseTaHoop, love ya work

Reply #724153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This could be one of the best games of the whole day I'm really looking forward to it

Reply #724181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was Bowen's foot out then?

Reply #724185 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Why has Boone played so little?
I'm not watching and Twitter is giving me bugger all

Reply #724186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best 40sec I've seen from Lisch all year

Reply #724188 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Interesting sub rotations. Looks like Bogut n Boone both played big minutes in Q1, resting in Q2.

Reply #724189 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Both teams scoring good spread including the bench.

This is why Perth will have trouble staying with either of these 2 in finals.

Reply #724191 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Crowd?

Reply #724193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney looking pretty impressive this quarter, feels like they deserve to be up by more than 4 atm

Reply #724196 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So many steals yet can't convert into points.

Reply #724198 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Smart alley oop play from Bowen.

Wasn't gonna score. Controlled tip to teammate.

Reply #724199 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

HT SYD 47-40 MEL

Crowd: ~11,000

Reply #724200 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

PW
11k in the house.

It will be a record. Regardless of head-count.

Reply #724201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is an interesting chatacter sometimes during interviews, often feels like he is in a bit of a mood and really negative.

I get top athletes always want to improve but gees the bloke never seems very positive in most interviews I've seen this season.

Reply #724202 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The guy in the Chemist Warehouse ad looks like Goulding's brother.

and the kid in the 3x3 Hustle ad looks like a young Daniel Johnson.

amirite

Reply #724203 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

UTH a current organisation record? As Superdome had 17K in 1999 for a Kings game.

Reply #724205 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

No. It will be a record. Just read the NBL's press release.

Bigger than any sporting crowd ever.

Reply #724207 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They're saying "single-game" record. They've had higher attendances for double-headers.

Reply #724208 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The 17K was a double header yes.

Reply #724211 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Bigger than any sporting crowd ever."

Biggest crowd ever in the best sports league in the world.

Reply #724213 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So many turnovers.

Reply #724216 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Both teams giving the other the chance to win. Poor shooting right now Q4. Need money plays.

Reply #724223 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Crowd 12k now.

Reply #724224 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Crowd: ~12,000

Old SEC record: 10,610
Old SSD record: 11,005

(single game only)

Reply #724225 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#202 Bogut punched the ball in disgust after Barlow's basket. What a child.

Reply #724226 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Kings have really shit the bed towards the end here.

Reply #724227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding you legend

Reply #724229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classic Randle, his hero ball has cost sydney a few wins this season

Reply #724230 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lisch does a Trimble.

Reply #724231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randles hero ball cost them again...

Reply #724232 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Never change Randle, never change.

Reply #724233 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That was a poor shot by Randle, I can't imagine it was drawn up for him should've been Lisch.

Reply #724234 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I can't imagine anything was drawn up at all :p

Reply #724235 | Report this post

TM  
Years ago

23 after half time, awesome scoring by crumbles

Reply #724236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate watching Sydney regularly shit the bed late in games like this, because it makes me feel even more salty they managed to come back from 9 down with a few min to go to beat Perth lol

Reply #724237 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's the way it shatters that matters!

Reply #724238 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's going to be an issue for the Kings trying to keep Randle and his massive ego in check towards the pointy end of the season.

We couldn't do that in Adelaide and I did think before the season Gaze/Bogut might struggle to keep him in check.

Reply #724241 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Nine Kings assists for the entire game is shithouse

Reply #724242 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Good game, well done Melbourne. Better team on the night. Sydney played poorly through most of Q4. Poor decision making and shot selection. Needed Kickert in the low block.

Reply #724249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OOps

"Seven units on Sydney"

Reply #724251 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings looked gassed in the 2nd half, just ran out of legs I think, especially in the 4th Q. I feel we let that one slip away again, but credit on Melb for making some big shots down the stretch.

Not sure how it looked on TV, but in the stadium it really felt like the refs let a hell of a lot more contact go than usual - both ways. I don't mind that personally, but just seemed strange, like they'd been told to keep the foul count down for the premier match of the round or something.

Reply #724252 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ Tom; we got Kickert in the blocks at the end and he blew a sitter! Reminded me of the Lisch layup from the last game in Melb. If we just executed even half-competently in crunch time this was a Kings W (again).

Reply #724253 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Kings looked gassed in the 2nd half, just ran out of legs I think, especially in the 4th Q.

Sydney have had double headers for the last 3 rounds which has involved quite a bit of travel (NZ, Perth and Cairns)

Reply #724260 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"I hate watching Sydney regularly shit the bed late in games like this, because it makes me feel even more salty they managed to come back from 9 down with a few min to go to beat Perth lol“

Props to this. An honest Perthian anon.

Reply #724263 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Kings keep getting Gazed and Confused in tightest end games.

Reply #724305 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Copefused.

Reply #724313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of the lesser lights, Adnam and Hooley were both non existent, Bowen and Moller was a good contest, probably reasonably even though Bowen played about 5 minutes more. Moller defence helped get Melbourne back into the contest and loved the block, rebound and coast to coast bucket. Pledger was better than Kickett.

Reply #724373 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

^I WANT Moller @ Illawarra with Naar & Friday!

Needs more minutes, but tough to get 'em in Melbourne.

Reply #724390 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

No PF will cost the Kings dearly this year. We need a PF with inside presence and offensive rebounds. #Wearishegoing?

Reply #724392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot kings fans sitting around me talking about trying to get Moller back to kings, contracted I believe though could be option.
Naar and Moller played at Sydney boys together, went back to back national champs.

Reply #724399 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Was at the game, enjoyed that the referees by and large kept the whistles silent. Did NOT enjoy the hero ball in the 4th quarter... do what got you to the dance etc etc. I have no trouble at all believing 12K: this was my 3rd home game this season and it easily had the biggest crowd.

Reply #724424 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Angus that sitter was on a roll to hoop. He was in two minds so it was a poor play. But what he should of done is pitch to wide open Newley in the corner. Shane Heal referred to that at the time. Ware is the toughest on ball defender in the league and Randle was foolish trying to shake and bake him down the stretch.

Reply #724455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The crowd at the big bash tonight no better than at kings yesterday, both live on free to air, kings or Bogut doing something right, and don't get a quarter of the media coverage the cricket does.

Reply #724528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thread has gone cold due to today being Christmas.

Reply #724574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cold leftovers will be delicious at lunch time tomorrow for those not braving the sales

Reply #724575 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Boxing Day open air game is tomorrow anyway.

Reply #724589 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:21 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754